Barry

From: "Brynk" <Brynk@InDirectpc.com>

| I'm trying to install W2000Pro
| On a Microquest Notebook
| I ran Format C:/u/c/s
|
| I booted off a W98 Floppy
| went to the CD drive
| typed setup.exe
|
| I get:
| This Program can't be run in DOS mode
|
| I believe my W2000 is bootable, but F8 and F10 doesn't get me to the bios to
| change sequence
|
| What am I missing?
|
| Thanks
|
| Barry

You missed the boat ;-)

If you have formatted the hard disk using MS-DOS, copy the i386 folder off the CDROM to the
hard disk.

After you have copied the i386 folder to the hard disk, execute; c:\i386\winnt.exe

winnt.exe is the Win2K installation program for DOS.
winnt32.exe is the Win2K installation program for Win95 & Win98 (you can't upgrade WinME to
Win2K)

This is the *best* way to install the OS, using c:\i386. This way the OS will find the
installation files if you change an object such as hardware or add a printer. In addition,
when you install Win2K SP4, you can slip-stream the c:\i386 folder to SP4 level.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

From: "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net>

| If you have formatted the hard disk using MS-DOS, copy the i386 folder off the CDROM to
| the hard disk.

| --
| Dave
| http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
| http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

I should have mentioned that when you copy the i386 folder off the CDROM you need to copy
the folder and all subfolders.

For example if the CDROM is "D:"

xcopy d:\i386\*.* c:\ /v /s

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Thanks, David

>>xcopy d:\i386\*.* c:\ /v /s

When I try xcopy, I get Bad Command
When I try copy, I get /s is an invalid switch

When I try
copy e:\i386\*.* c:\
I got 260 files copied w/ no directory and extensions like HL_, EX_, etc

Sorry, my DOS knowledge is minimal

Altho it's been a while, I have formatted, booted w/ W98 floppy startup and
executed the W2000 CD setup.exe several times. I don't know why it's not
working on this machine

--
Barry

From: "Brynk" <Brynk@InDirectpc.com>

| Thanks, David
|
>>> xcopy d:\i386\*.* c:\ /v /s
|
| When I try xcopy, I get Bad Command
| When I try copy, I get /s is an invalid switch
|
| When I try
| copy e:\i386\*.* c:\
| I got 260 files copied w/ no directory and extensions like HL_, EX_, etc
|
| Sorry, my DOS knowledge is minimal
|
| Altho it's been a while, I have formatted, booted w/ W98 floppy startup and
| executed the W2000 CD setup.exe several times. I don't know why it's not
| working on this machine
|
| --
| Barry

Look on the Win98 Floppy and se if you have XCOPY32

xcopy32 d:\i386\*.* c:\ /v /s

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

no, it's not there

--
Barry

> From: "Brynk" <Brynk@InDirectpc.com>
>
> | Thanks, David

> | When I try xcopy, I get Bad Command
> | When I try copy, I get /s is an invalid switch
> |
> | When I try
> | copy e:\i386\*.* c:\
> | I got 260 files copied w/ no directory and extensions like HL_, EX_, etc
> |
> | Sorry, my DOS knowledge is minimal
> |
> | Altho it's been a while, I have formatted, booted w/ W98 floppy startup
> and
> | executed the W2000 CD setup.exe several times. I don't know why it's not
> | working on this machine
> |
> | --
> | Barry
>

> Look on the Win98 Floppy and se if you have XCOPY32
>
> xcopy32 d:\i386\*.* c:\ /v /s
>
> --
> Dave
> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

I made an I386 directory (md) on the c drive and tried to

copy E:/I386\*.* C:\I386

but it only copied 259 files before it stopped being able to read the E:
drive.........

--
Barry

> From: "Brynk" <Brynk@InDirectpc.com>
>
> | Thanks, David

> | When I try xcopy, I get Bad Command
> | When I try copy, I get /s is an invalid switch
> |
> | When I try
> | copy e:\i386\*.* c:\
> | I got 260 files copied w/ no directory and extensions like HL_, EX_, etc
> |
> | Sorry, my DOS knowledge is minimal
> |
> | Altho it's been a while, I have formatted, booted w/ W98 floppy startup
> and
> | executed the W2000 CD setup.exe several times. I don't know why it's not
> | working on this machine
> |
> | --
> | Barry
>

> Look on the Win98 Floppy and se if you have XCOPY32
>
> xcopy32 d:\i386\*.* c:\ /v /s
>
> --
> Dave
> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Sorry, I didn't think to look for an attachment on Usenet

Ok, I copied the 2 files to the floppy and input both xcopy and xcopy 32
and both times I got

Bad or Missing Xcopy32.mod

--
Barry

> From: "Brynk" <B@No.com>
>
> | Here I go ....what??
> |
> | didja miss a link?
> |
> | --
> | Barry
> |

> Here it is again. Attached is a ZIP file that has XCOPY.exe and
> XCOPY32.exe form Win8SE !
>
> --
> Dave
> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

No problem, I'm grateful for you time

what is he difference between xcopy and xcopy32?

--
Barry

From: "Brynk" <B@No.com>

| No problem, I'm grateful for you time
|
| what is he difference between xcopy and xcopy32?
|
| --
| Barry

Relatively speqking they work the same. However xcopy32 is able to address more RAM during
the copy process.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

thanks
I found the keystrokes to get the bios menu
Changed the sequence to boot from the w2000 CD and w2000 installed fine
Thanks for your help

--
Barry

From: "Brynk" <B@No.com>

| thanks
| I found the keystrokes to get the bios menu
| Changed the sequence to boot from the w2000 CD and w2000 installed fine
| Thanks for your help
|
| --
| Barry

You should still copy over the i386 folder to the root of "C:".

Since you installed from the CDROM you will have to set the Registry to point there...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

set; SourcePath to; c:\

Then whenever you change hardware or install a printer it will find the files in c:\i386 and
won't need the CDROM anymore.

Then when you install SP4, you should slip-stream the c:\i386 folder to SP4 level. This way
you won't install an older version file if you change hardware or install a printer.

If you don't copy the i386 folder to the hard disk and slip-stream it you risk installing an
older version of a file and will cause problems.

To install Win2K SP4 and slip-strem the c:\i386 folder, download the administrators version
of the EXE file.

Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 Network Install for IT Professionals
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=1001aaf1-749f-49f4-8010-297bd6ca33a0&DisplayLang=en

And execute;
w2ksp4_en.exe -u -s:c:\

--