help needed with misplaced

RB

I'm losing my freaking mind. My wife constantly tells me this, and now I
know it must be true. I intend to do something about that, but keep
forgetting.

I have sort of "lost" approx 30 .pdf files. What I did was scan a tech
manual using HP Director. I selected email as the destination. This option
delivers the .pdf files in a ready-to-send email frame as attachments.

I got out all my emails, no problem.

However, I now can't find those pesky files anywhere on my hard drive. I've
searched my program files, documents, My Pics, etc. I've even done a search
using the file names. All to no avail.

There are indications that HP Director sends 'em to HP Photo Gallery. Now,
what's really terrible, I can't find HP Photo Gallery anywhere, either.
You'd think it'd be lurking in one of the usual hiding places, but no,
nothing found when I check those.

Someone please put this poor guy out of his misery and help him find his
missing .pdf files.

RB

Rats. You were right. It sends those things to a TEMP file, and those are
now all empty, as suspected.

Oh well, I can still capture by opening the email attachments and saving.

RB

OK. I made a nice, new folder, and saved all my email attachments to it, so
have all those little rascals rounded up and in one place where I can easily
find 'em if I ever need them in the future.

Thanks for all the help.

Interestingly enough, originally putting all the pages of the tech manual
(approx 36) in one .pdf file would have been an answer to having 'em where I
could find 'em, but then the file would have been too big to send as an
attachment. Which was why I made 'em in batches of 5, and direct to
attachments.

Isn't the HP Photo Gallery online?
Have you looked in your sent folder?

--
Mary Sauer MS MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/
"RB" <rbig@bellsouth.nosopam.net> wrote in message
> I'm losing my freaking mind. My wife constantly tells me this, and now I
> know it must be true. I intend to do something about that, but keep
> forgetting.
>
> I have sort of "lost" approx 30 .pdf files. What I did was scan a tech
> manual using HP Director. I selected email as the destination. This option
> delivers the .pdf files in a ready-to-send email frame as attachments.
>
> I got out all my emails, no problem.
>
> However, I now can't find those pesky files anywhere on my hard drive. I've
> searched my program files, documents, My Pics, etc. I've even done a search
> using the file names. All to no avail.
>
> There are indications that HP Director sends 'em to HP Photo Gallery. Now,
> what's really terrible, I can't find HP Photo Gallery anywhere, either.
> You'd think it'd be lurking in one of the usual hiding places, but no,
> nothing found when I check those.
>
> Someone please put this poor guy out of his misery and help him find his
> missing .pdf files.

Try this -
Open the e-mail but NOT the attachment.
RIGHT-click on the attachment icon (paperclip), choose the "Save As...
option to save to the directory/folder of your choice.

Hope this helps - saves the hassle of searching, which may not work anyway
as if they're in temp files, they'll likely not be identifiable by name.

This advice works for OE6. May differ in the detail for other mail clients
but in principle should nevertheless work.
This is of course assuming you still have the e_mails. If you haven't, re-do
the search and e_mailing.
On receipt, then do the above.

Hope this helps (from another silver surfer losing his mind on occasion, as
my wife occasionally remarks on!)
Sincerely, Len

"RB" <rbig@bellsouth.nosopam.net> wrote in message
> I'm losing my freaking mind. My wife constantly tells me this, and now I
> know it must be true. I intend to do something about that, but keep
> forgetting.
>
> I have sort of "lost" approx 30 .pdf files. What I did was scan a tech
> manual using HP Director. I selected email as the destination. This
> option
> delivers the .pdf files in a ready-to-send email frame as attachments.
>
> I got out all my emails, no problem.
>
> However, I now can't find those pesky files anywhere on my hard drive.
> I've
> searched my program files, documents, My Pics, etc. I've even done a
> search
> using the file names. All to no avail.
>
> There are indications that HP Director sends 'em to HP Photo Gallery.
> Now,
> what's really terrible, I can't find HP Photo Gallery anywhere, either.
> You'd think it'd be lurking in one of the usual hiding places, but no,
> nothing found when I check those.
>
> Someone please put this poor guy out of his misery and help him find his
> missing .pdf files.

In between reading your post and my two-fingered reply, your additional
posts indicate you already knew this!
However - if this works, then they ARE still in temp files - the ones under
IE5 directory, I think. These darned TEMP files can't automatically clear
unless the e_mail itself is deleted (and I'm not totally convinced that they
clear even then, except by 3rd party housekeeping).
Len.
"Len Dolby" <lsdolby@ignore.ntlwor.com> wrote in message
> Try this -
> Open the e-mail but NOT the attachment.
> RIGHT-click on the attachment icon (paperclip), choose the "Save As...
> option to save to the directory/folder of your choice.
>
> Hope this helps - saves the hassle of searching, which may not work anyway
> as if they're in temp files, they'll likely not be identifiable by name.
>
> This advice works for OE6. May differ in the detail for other mail clients
> but in principle should nevertheless work.
> This is of course assuming you still have the e_mails. If you haven't,
> re-do the search and e_mailing.
> On receipt, then do the above.
>
> Hope this helps (from another silver surfer losing his mind on occasion,
> as my wife occasionally remarks on!)
> Sincerely, Len
>
> "RB" <rbig@bellsouth.nosopam.net> wrote in message
>> I'm losing my freaking mind. My wife constantly tells me this, and now I
>> know it must be true. I intend to do something about that, but keep
>> forgetting.
>>
>> I have sort of "lost" approx 30 .pdf files. What I did was scan a tech
>> manual using HP Director. I selected email as the destination. This
>> option
>> delivers the .pdf files in a ready-to-send email frame as attachments.
>>
>> I got out all my emails, no problem.
>>
>> However, I now can't find those pesky files anywhere on my hard drive.
>> I've
>> searched my program files, documents, My Pics, etc. I've even done a
>> search
>> using the file names. All to no avail.
>>
>> There are indications that HP Director sends 'em to HP Photo Gallery.
>> Now,
>> what's really terrible, I can't find HP Photo Gallery anywhere, either.
>> You'd think it'd be lurking in one of the usual hiding places, but no,
>> nothing found when I check those.
>>
>> Someone please put this poor guy out of his misery and help him find his
>> missing .pdf files.

RB

}}} Isn't the HP Photo Gallery online? {{{

????? Online where?

}}} Have you looked in your sent folder? {{{

Yes. That's where all my outgoing emails with the attachments are stashed.

Hi there,

Perform test scan again using the HP Director software and make a note of
the destination location where the software is saving the scanned docoments.
Navigate to that location and look for the missing files.

--
HTH
Meena

Meena wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Perform test scan again using the HP Director software and make a note of
> the destination location where the software is saving the scanned docoments.
> Navigate to that location and look for the missing files.
>
> --
> HTH
> Meena
> "RB" <rbig@bellsouth.nosopam.net> wrote in message
>
>>I'm losing my freaking mind. My wife constantly tells me this, and now I
>>know it must be true. I intend to do something about that, but keep
>>forgetting.
>>
>>I have sort of "lost" approx 30 .pdf files. What I did was scan a tech
>>manual using HP Director. I selected email as the destination. This
>
> option
>
>>delivers the .pdf files in a ready-to-send email frame as attachments.
>>
>>I got out all my emails, no problem.
>>
>>However, I now can't find those pesky files anywhere on my hard drive.
>
> I've
>
>>searched my program files, documents, My Pics, etc. I've even done a
>
> search
>
>>using the file names. All to no avail.
>>
>>There are indications that HP Director sends 'em to HP Photo Gallery.
>
> Now,
>
>>what's really terrible, I can't find HP Photo Gallery anywhere, either.
>>You'd think it'd be lurking in one of the usual hiding places, but no,
>>nothing found when I check those.
>>
>>Someone please put this poor guy out of his misery and help him find his
>>missing .pdf files.

In addition to Meena's advice, be aware that it's possible that they
were saved as temp files only and were erased after the attachment took
place. But if you follow Meena's advice you'll at least be able to tell
where they went to begin with.

RB

I had a sinking feeling I might hear that they were TEMPs only.

If this is the case, I can still capture those rascals by going to the
attachments in my outgoing emails, opening, and then saving to hard drive.

I'll do another scan this morning and watch carefully for where they're
going, too. Just in case they are hiding from me somewhere .

Thanks for jogging my memory on this one.

TRENDING THREADS