How to download service packs for future installation?

It seems a little stupid to use the most insecure browser to download the
Microsoft service packs with a vulmerable computer. How can one download
the service packs so they can be installed before one goes online?
11 answers Last reply
More about download service packs future installation

    > It seems a little stupid to use the most insecure browser to download the
    > Microsoft service packs with a vulmerable computer. How can one download
    > the service packs so they can be installed before one goes online?

    Then when one installs updated antivirus/spyware/adware utilities one is
    truly protected BEFORE the first step into that dangerous online world.
    Why wouldn't Microsoft stress the importance of this?

    They are called Network installs and all the Service Packs are available in that way. WARNING - do NOT install SP1. It introduces bugs into Windows 2000 that have never been fixed.

    --
    George Hester
    _______________________________
    "Bubba" <respondtogroup@here.com> wrote in message news:#MSwqzQaFHA.3320@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    > It seems a little stupid to use the most insecure browser to download the
    > Microsoft service packs with a vulmerable computer. How can one download
    > the service packs so they can be installed before one goes online?

    > It seems a little stupid to use the most insecure browser to download the
    > Microsoft service packs with a vulmerable computer. How can one download
    > the service packs so they can be installed before one goes online?

    They are called Network installs and all the Service Packs are available in
    that way. WARNING - do NOT install SP1. It introduces bugs into Windows
    2000 that have never been fixed.

    I thought you had to install SP1before the others or can I just install SP4
    or whatever is the latest and that will include the others?

    Bubba wrote:

    >My question was - where did you get it on the MS website? I couldn't find
    >anything relevant. (Its a big website!)

    Hmmm, I seem to have left the links in my other shirt. Perhaps mr
    patrick could post them again?

    --
    A sufficiently advanced computer network protective attitude is indistinguishable from paranoia.

    Quaestor <no.spam@my.place> wrote in

    > Bubba wrote:
    >
    >> My question was - where did you get it on the MS website? I
    >> couldn't find anything relevant. (Its a big website!)
    >>

    > Hmmm, I seem to have left the links in my other shirt. Perhaps mr
    > patrick could post them again?

    Go to:
    http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com
    When the first screen comes up, _don't_ click on "Scan for updates",
    Instead, click on "Windows Update Catalog" under "See Also" in the left
    pane. If you don't see this option there, then click on "Personalize
    Windows Update" and select the option "Display Windows Update Catalog".

    After clicking on "Windows Update Catalog", find your OS and it will
    list all available updates. Find the one you want, click it, and it
    will download the update to your hard drive for later installation.

    HTH,
    John

    No Service Paks do not need to be installed in order and shouldn't be. Install SP3. Then when you get up the nerve install SP4. But SP3 introduces a bug to SFC when installing Pre-SP4 hotfixes and SP4 fixes that but introduces Network issues. You probably will be unconcerned with them though. Also SP1 is really no fix at all everything now requires SP2 or higher and most hotfixes require SP3 or higher.

    --
    George Hester
    _______________________________
    "Bubba" <respondtogroup@here.com> wrote in message news:OA6nyGZaFHA.2884@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    > > It seems a little stupid to use the most insecure browser to download the
    > > Microsoft service packs with a vulmerable computer. How can one download
    > > the service packs so they can be installed before one goes online?
    > >
    > They are called Network installs and all the Service Packs are available in
    > that way. WARNING - do NOT install SP1. It introduces bugs into Windows
    > 2000 that have never been fixed.
    >
    > I thought you had to install SP1before the others or can I just install SP4
    > or whatever is the latest and that will include the others?

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    > > It seems a little stupid to use the most insecure browser to download
    the
    > > Microsoft service packs with a vulmerable computer. How can one
    download
    > > the service packs so they can be installed before one goes online?
    > >
    > They are called Network installs and all the Service Packs are available
    in
    > that way. WARNING - do NOT install SP1. It introduces bugs into Windows
    > 2000 that have never been fixed.
    >
    > I thought you had to install SP1before the others or can I just install
    SP4
    > or whatever is the latest and that will include the others?

    No Service Paks do not need to be installed in order and shouldn't be.
    Install SP3. Then when you get up the nerve install SP4. But SP3
    introduces a bug to SFC when installing Pre-SP4 hotfixes and SP4 fixes that
    but introduces Network issues. You probably will be unconcerned with them
    though. Also SP1 is really no fix at all everything now requires SP2 or
    higher and most hotfixes require SP3 or higher.

    At this page http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp (you may
    have to get to the area I'm in manually) it lists Windows 2000 Professional
    SP3, SP4 and SP5. Should I just install SP5 since that is the latest?
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    The total size is 40 mb. Does that seem right? That is all the SP5 updates
    for Win2000 Pro in English. I didn't include the non-English stuff of
    course.
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    There is no SP5 at least there wasn't the last time I checked. And even so No it is too soon. Let the impatient ones try it first.

    --
    George Hester
    _______________________________
    "Bubba" <respondtogroup@here.com> wrote in message news:emib5EtaFHA.3384@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    > > > It seems a little stupid to use the most insecure browser to download
    > the
    > > > Microsoft service packs with a vulmerable computer. How can one
    > download
    > > > the service packs so they can be installed before one goes online?
    > > >
    > > They are called Network installs and all the Service Packs are available
    > in
    > > that way. WARNING - do NOT install SP1. It introduces bugs into Windows
    > > 2000 that have never been fixed.
    > >
    > > I thought you had to install SP1before the others or can I just install
    > SP4
    > > or whatever is the latest and that will include the others?
    > >
    > No Service Paks do not need to be installed in order and shouldn't be.
    > Install SP3. Then when you get up the nerve install SP4. But SP3
    > introduces a bug to SFC when installing Pre-SP4 hotfixes and SP4 fixes that
    > but introduces Network issues. You probably will be unconcerned with them
    > though. Also SP1 is really no fix at all everything now requires SP2 or
    > higher and most hotfixes require SP3 or higher.
    >
    > At this page http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp (you may
    > have to get to the area I'm in manually) it lists Windows 2000 Professional
    > SP3, SP4 and SP5. Should I just install SP5 since that is the latest?

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    No SP5 has to be a minimum of ~ 120MB. I don't know what you are looking at. I'll try Windows update and come back to you.

    --
    George Hester
    _______________________________
    "Bubba" <respondtogroup@here.com> wrote in message news:upxzRStaFHA.3196@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
    > The total size is 40 mb. Does that seem right? That is all the SP5 updates
    > for Win2000 Pro in English. I didn't include the non-English stuff of
    > course.

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    No SP5 doesn't exist.

    --
    George Hester
    _______________________________
    "George Hester" <hesterloli@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    No SP5 has to be a minimum of ~ 120MB. I don't know what you are looking
    at. I'll try Windows update and come back to you.

    --
    George Hester
    "Bubba" <respondtogroup@here.com> wrote in message
    > The total size is 40 mb. Does that seem right? That is all the SP5
    updates
    > for Win2000 Pro in English. I didn't include the non-English stuff of
    > course.

Download Microsoft Windows