Creating a Delete key

I need a Delete Key on the left side of my keyboard. Is there a way to get
one there? Thanks

Byte

Del keys are on the rightside of the keyboard. But if you want to use the left
hand to delete when editing a document, you can use the mouse to highlight
the item then use your lefthand pinky to hold down the Ctrl key and the
index finger to click the "X" key and that will delete it.

In news:7A4CFE5B-8C8B-47A6-A167-9D1B3F64FE3D@microsoft.com,
dan_in_ga <dan_in_ga@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

>I need a Delete Key on the left side of my keyboard. Is there a
>way to
> get one there? Thanks

There are several freeware/shareware keyboard remapping utilities
available. Do a google search and find one. Then you could remap
the Caps lock key, the Left-Shift, Left-Ctrl, or Left-Alt key to
work as Delete.

I'm not sure it's a great idea to do. If you do it, anybody else
using your computer is likely to get himself (and maybe even you)
into trouble, since he will likely press this new "delete" key
without realizing it. Who knows what he may delete by accident?

Please reply to the newsgroup

I found a utility (SharpKeys) that lets me assign the delete function to my
left logo key. This allows me to position my cursor with my mouse (right
hand) and delete the next character with my new delete key using my left
hand. This is useful when adjusting lists in InDesign. Thanks for the
suggestions, in checking them out I found my solution.

"dan_in_ga" <dan_in_ga@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I need a Delete Key on the left side of my keyboard. Is there a way to get
> one there? Thanks

Look at the following two links for possible shortcut key combinations :

"A List of the Keyboard Shortcuts Available in Windows XP"
(http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=301583)
"Keyboard Shortcuts for Windows"
(http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=126449)

Malv

Hi, Byte - and Dan.

Just to clarify: Ctrl+X is Cut, not Delete. As in Cut-and-Paste.

It does delete the highlighted text, but it also copies that text to the
Clipboard, from where it may be Pasted to a new location (with Ctrl+V or
another method). This is equivalent to Delete in many cases, but if you had
Copied something else to the Clipboard and were planning to Paste that
somewhere, using Ctrl+X will overwrite those previous Clipboard contents
with the new text. Your next Paste will insert the latest item that was
written to the Clipboard, which may not be what you want. (Yes, I know some
applications allow the Clipboard to hold a stack of multiple clips, but this
is not the default Windows behavior.)

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA