Profile Not Loading - What causes that?

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
June 5, 2005 10:29:10 PM

I had a problem where my profile wouldn't load on Win2k Pro. Well I know how
to fix it, so no biggey. What I'm curious about is what causes your profile
to become corrupted. Any ideas?

Can it be caused by putting to large of files in your My Documents folders
in your profile?

More about : profile loading

Anonymous
June 6, 2005 1:41:20 PM

"=?Utf-8?B?RGFyaW4=?=" <Darin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

> I had a problem where my profile wouldn't load on Win2k Pro. Well I
> know how to fix it,

Let me know too! I couldn't find a solution yet.
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 1:41:21 PM

What exactly is your problem? What error messages do you receive?

"Dodo2u" wrote:

> "=?Utf-8?B?RGFyaW4=?=" <Darin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>
> > I had a problem where my profile wouldn't load on Win2k Pro. Well I
> > know how to fix it,
>
> Let me know too! I couldn't find a solution yet.

June 6, 2005 3:29:44 PM

"=?Utf-8?B?RGFyaW4gQ2F3dGhvbg==?="
<DarinCawthon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in news:FBD8E117-1FCC-
43B4-85A1-81330E44C377@microsoft.com:

> What exactly is your problem? What error messages do you receive?

It is not an error message.
I has to do with a multi-input/output bay containing a.o. a 4-slot card
reader.

In Explorer the text labels for 2 of them are not logical.
The icon for 1 of them is the default W2k icon.

So, I tried to change the default labels in key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer
\DriveIcons\K\DefaultLabel (and in the L-drive)

and add the proper icon from Dit.DLL to the path

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer
\DriveIcons\L

the similar way I see them in key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer
\DriveIcons\K\DefaultIcon

The first time I tried this I did it slightly unprepared with Lavasoft
RegHance. But, when I was adding the icon-key I had forgotten the correct
string value. So, I wanted to take a look back at the already existing
ones and copy/edit that to the new one. I got an error like "not finding
the right path" whilst going through this procedure and since it looks
like I cannot add the icon key anymore.

It is accepted in RegEdit but disappears when I go there again and/or
when I restart the puter.

That's why I am interested to learn about the way you could redress the
profile problem you had.

Also and especially as one of my profiles (the standard I always used; I
had to create and rebuild a new one) is corrupted, so maybe your
information could help solve that as well.
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 3:59:07 AM

I copied the files I needed out of the corrupted profile, then I setup a new
administrator profile, then deleted the bad one. Then setup the old profile
that I deleted so it's now brand new, copied my needed files to it, then
delete the extra admin one I made. The reason I had to create another admin
profile was because the profile that corrupted was an admin profile. If you
have an admin profile that's not corrupted you can skip that part.

I can't remember the steps I took to walk you through it. One of the
Microsoft techs wrote me and told me how to do it. I'm not sure how to fix
your problem, but if you ask in here you will find the .

Can someone write the steps out?

!