Defragmenting drives which contain priv1 and pub1.edb files.

Just wondering if defraging a hard drive which contain's the priv1.edb and
pub1.edb files is looking for trouble? I notice the defragmenting process
states it's moving these exchange files but it doesn't seem to effect users?
Is this a bad/good thing? I'm not trying to defrag these Exchange file's just
the rest of the hard drive.

Regards,

Brett

Never heard of any problems in this. Some files are unmovable as a
standard, and defrag won't touch in-use or locked files. All the same, I'd
probably use a commercial application designed specifically for servers
rather than the built-in defragger...

"Brett Mason" <BrettMason@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Just wondering if defraging a hard drive which contain's the priv1.edb and
> pub1.edb files is looking for trouble? I notice the defragmenting process
> states it's moving these exchange files but it doesn't seem to effect
users?
> Is this a bad/good thing? I'm not trying to defrag these Exchange file's
just
> the rest of the hard drive.
>
> Regards,
>
> Brett

No issues. Microsoft's defrag APIs support defragmenting these files
safely.

- Greg/Raxco Software
Microsoft MVP - Windows File System

Disclaimer: I work for Raxco Software, the maker of PerfectDisk - a
commercial defrag utility, as a systems engineer in the support department.

Want to email me? Delete ntloader.