windowsXP does not open JPG/JPEG images

hi
on one of our windowsXP clients we are experiancing the following problem.
if a particular user tries to double click a jpg/jpeg file, windows says:
Windows could not find any information about the file type in the registry.

or if opened in MS Photo Editor:
The file type i unknown.

the strange thing is that only some users have this problem, when i login
myself, all works well, but when some other uesr login problem shows up.
we have tried to use "open with" on the files with no luck.
since users are logging in to a domain, we even tried cleaning their profiles.
still the same problem.

do i need to reinstall something on the actual client computer?

any help is apprecaiated.
/stig
2 answers Last reply
More about windowsxp open jpeg images

    Try this:

    open regedt32 and edit permision on this key:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Graphics Filters

    assign read to all users

    MC wrote:
    > Try this:
    >
    > open regedt32 and edit permision on this key:
    >
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Graphics Filters
    >
    > assign read to all users
    >

    > "stig" wrote:
    >

    >>hi
    >>on one of our windowsXP clients we are experiancing the following problem.
    >>if a particular user tries to double click a jpg/jpeg file, windows says:
    >>Windows could not find any information about the file type in the registry.
    >>
    >>or if opened in MS Photo Editor:
    >>The file type i unknown.
    >>

    >>the strange thing is that only some users have this problem, when i login
    >>myself, all works well, but when some other uesr login problem shows up.
    >>we have tried to use "open with" on the files with no luck.
    >>since users are logging in to a domain, we even tried cleaning their profiles.
    >>still the same problem.
    >>
    >>do i need to reinstall something on the actual client computer?
    >>
    >>any help is apprecaiated.
    >>/stig

    worked very well, thank you!

Login File Type Windows