Which 64 Bit Win7 from XP to get???

bozobytes

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
P-35 Platinum MS-7345 Mobo
Windows XP Home Edition SP3 (32 BIT)
Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs) (64 Bit)
2.4 GHz, 3328 MB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 512 Memory Size
Realtek HD Audio Output Sound
DirectX version: 9.0c
Monitor: Viewsonic VX2035wm Series
WD 500 GB HDD / WD 74GB RAPTOR HDD
NERO 9
Pinnacle Studio 14 Ultimate HD

Hello,
This 32 Bit (x86) XP HOME ONLY recognizes 3.3 memory, out of 4GB on board.

So if I'm using a 32 Bit XP Home version, and want to utilize ALL of my quad CPU and Memory power, I can upgrade to Windows 7 64 Bit?
My CPU is a 64BIT.

I do know when I wipe the HDD and re-install the Win7, I will have to get all newer firmware or updated drivers all over again... Frustrating when I'm editing video in STUDIO, the program crashes , even though I free up valuable resources, like DE-GRAG, Turn off Firewall, Anti-virus software, delete all Auxiliary files and temp files, and recycle bin, Log off the internet, end task running programs, just to be able to edit video per session.

In using exhaustive memory programs like Photoshop and Pinnacle Studio 14HD, I will definitely need more than my 3.3 Ram, Win7 Pro along with my P-35 MSI can handle up to 8GB DDR2.

So given my stated computer specs, and what I want to accomplish, what would be the best case scenario for suggestions for me to upgrade?

OH..BTW.....YES I AM FROM NEWBIE DECENT. SORRY

On which Win7 Pro version to get??? The OEM versions are cheaper, and I noticed a few have SP1 (service pack 1) and other versions do not. I am not a system builder, just someone who wants to go from 3.3 DDR2 RAM in WIN 32BIT XP HOME to WINDOWS 7 64 BIT version.

Will spending more money on the FULL Non-OEM version allow me to do anything different than just getting the OEM? FREE MICROSOFT SUPPORT?? I think Not.

In going to COSTCO, they only have the Upgrade versions for $190.00.

In going to FRY'S electronics, they have something like this >

"Windows 7pro 64 bit (FULL) System Builder OEM".

I thought there is the FULL version, and then you have the OEM version, with little or no support.

Thank you!

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
What is the difference between the OEM, and the Retail version of Windows 7?

There are 3 major differences between these 2 items. The physical DVD disks themselves contain exactly the same content.

1. OEM copies of Windows 7 come in either 32, or 64 bit flavors. You must decide which version you want, and make sure you purchase that copy. With a retail copy, you get both 32 and 64 bit Windows Vista DVD’s in the same box.

2. OEM copies cannot be transferred from one PC to another. Once you install an OEM copy of Windows 7 on a PC it must remain with that PC forever, unless upgraded to a newer version of Windows in the future. Retail versions can be moved from PC to PC, but your retail copy of Windows 7 cannot be installed on more than one PC at any given time.

3. OEM copies do not come with any support from Microsoft. If you need to call Microsoft for support with Windows 7, you must pay a fee to do so. Retail copies come with a phone support incident included in the price.

The Prophecy

Windows 7 OEM 64 bit
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116992

Windows 7 64 bit Drivers for your board!
http://www.msi.com/product/mb/P35-Platinum.html#/?div=Driver&os=Win7%2064

Welcome to the Forum :hello:

Your system will support Win 7 64 with no trouble at all, but it will unfortunately require a complete re-installation. Thus you need to make proper backups before you proceed. If you need to pick a version, I highly recommend Win 7 Professional.

If you have been using the Home version of XP and find it does everything you need to do, then the Home version of 7 will do you just fine, no need to spend more. Be sure you get the 64 bit version, and I personally would get the retail version, unless you never plan on upgrading or moving to a new PC. OEM versions maybe be okay form some, but if you are a self builder, every time you build, you will have to buy another OEM version. You will just have to make the call for what you think suits you.

bozobytes

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
Hi and thanks!
Well, I ended up buying the OEM Windows7 64 Bit from FRYS for $100.00. Not that i'll keep and use it.

So your telling me that if I buy this OEM, and change systems and add a new CPU, DDR3 memory, in a few years, that I CAN NOT use the same Windows 7 OEM Install disc ?

I think I pulled it off with my present OEM XP. I had to do a format and clean my HDD, and re-installed the OEM OS.

I haven't installed it yet because after reading all of your posts, I'm thinking even though I can't afford it, the Full retail version might be what I want, so I could use the OS in other PC's that I build, instead of buying a new OS every time I rebuild.

Now I'm getting to the point that it's been four years since I built this PC. And with the newer intel i3,and i7 CPU's out...cheaper than I paid for my Q6600, ($299.00) and the i3, is now $147.00 this week at Frys) I'm wondering if I should not waste any money, and start looking for a new motherboard that supports DDR3, new CPU,and more RAM up to 16GBDDR3.

I'm not a gamer, but use Photoshop and Studio Pinnacle HD14, which both use lots of Ram. I also bought new ram..The ram I bought last ,was Corsair 4x1028 XMS2 DDR2 PC6500/800Mhz 5-5-5-12 1.9v) I made a bad call and bought new Ram Corsair 2x4GB XMS2 DDR2 PC6500/800Mhz 5-5-5-18 1.8v) thinking it could go with the other, but was told i would have to go into the bios and turn down the speed of the newer ram, so forget that, I was on my way to go buy matching ram that I bought the other day. 8GB DDR2 to use with win7 64 Bit.

What someone told me the other day was with XP Home 32Bit, having the 3.3GB DDR2, is better and faster than using 8GB DDR2 with Windows 7???? Is this true? That did not make any sense. :eek:

Am I crazy? Don't answer that. Now I find myself on the fence once again.

Technology changes so fast, hard to keep up.

What would you do if money was tight?

So now I have four year old 4x1028 DDR2 Corsair that now goes to recycle, and the new ram is $60.00 for 4GB less $30.00 rebate, so my new 8GB ram only cost $60.00.

bozobytes

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
ll, Fry's has the Full retail version for $300.00....three times the OEM price, but it's good food for thought. I'll check out amazon. thx :sol:

Also, if the professional retail version can handle up to 192 GB ram, does the OEM version as well? I think I'd better go with the retail for $264.00 amazon. Frys is $300.00,.

I may be thinking of doing a major revamp of this system with a new mobo, cpu down the line, and don't want to re-buy another OS from microsoft, anytime soon.

Please refer that someone to me so that we can have a little chat...

It's just flat out not true. XP Home was inferior to XP Professional, and Windows 7 matches or exceeds XP Pro in every respect.