NTFS files corrupted with chksk

Had a quite unpleasant experience, I was wondering if I could get some
directions...
I have a Maxtor Hard Drive 160G partitioned as 2 logical drives and
NTFS formatted with Windows 2000 SP4. It worked fine for about 3
months. Recently I ran a Digital Video software which looked fairly
I/O intensive. Had 3 NTFS crashes in span of 2 days, recorded in
System Log as "Drive unrecognizable- Event 5", immediately followed
by chkdsk at reboot. Even if chkdsk took a lot of time finished
"successfully", but the major surprise was that all files (zip, doc,
pdf, exe ...) were internally corrupted and completely unrecognizable!
After this I downloaded a hard drive test from Maxtor which completed
successful. Does this point to hardware or software issue? Should I
"blame" my video software?
Surprised to find little information on Web regarding this "virus
like" behavior for chkdsk.

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-NTFS-files-corrupted-chksk-ftopict540697.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1702763

You may want to look into getting a copy of spinrite ver 6 from grc.com .

"steola" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
> Had a quite unpleasant experience, I was wondering if I could get some
> directions...
> I have a Maxtor Hard Drive 160G partitioned as 2 logical drives and
> NTFS formatted with Windows 2000 SP4. It worked fine for about 3
> months. Recently I ran a Digital Video software which looked fairly
> I/O intensive. Had 3 NTFS crashes in span of 2 days, recorded in
> System Log as "Drive unrecognizable- Event 5", immediately followed
> by chkdsk at reboot. Even if chkdsk took a lot of time finished
> "successfully", but the major surprise was that all files (zip, doc,
> pdf, exe ...) were internally corrupted and completely unrecognizable!
> After this I downloaded a hard drive test from Maxtor which completed
> successful. Does this point to hardware or software issue? Should I
> "blame" my video software?
> Surprised to find little information on Web regarding this "virus
> like" behavior for chkdsk.

request
> Topic URL:
http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-NTFS-files-corrupted-chksk-ftopict540697.html
http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1702763

"steola" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
> Had a quite unpleasant experience, I was wondering if I could get some
> directions...
> I have a Maxtor Hard Drive 160G partitioned as 2 logical drives and
> NTFS formatted with Windows 2000 SP4. It worked fine for about 3
> months. Recently I ran a Digital Video software which looked fairly
> I/O intensive. Had 3 NTFS crashes in span of 2 days, recorded in
> System Log as "Drive unrecognizable- Event 5", immediately followed
> by chkdsk at reboot. Even if chkdsk took a lot of time finished
> "successfully", but the major surprise was that all files (zip, doc,
> pdf, exe ...) were internally corrupted and completely unrecognizable!
> After this I downloaded a hard drive test from Maxtor which completed
> successful. Does this point to hardware or software issue? Should I
> "blame" my video software?
> Surprised to find little information on Web regarding this "virus
> like" behavior for chkdsk.

request
> Topic URL:
http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-NTFS-files-corrupted-chksk-f
topict540697.html
http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1702763

You do have 48 bit LBA enabled in the registry, don't you?
If not then that's the source of your problem.
You must do this manually, it ain't automatic.

"j9" wrote:
> You may want to look into getting a copy of spinrite ver 6
> from grc.com .
>

> "steola" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
> > Had a quite unpleasant experience, I was wondering if I
> could get some
> > directions...
> > I have a Maxtor Hard Drive 160G partitioned as 2 logical
> drives and
> > NTFS formatted with Windows 2000 SP4. It worked fine for
> about 3
> > months. Recently I ran a Digital Video software which looked
> fairly
> > I/O intensive. Had 3 NTFS crashes in span of 2 days,
> recorded in
> > System Log as "Drive unrecognizable- Event 5", immediately
> followed
> > by chkdsk at reboot. Even if chkdsk took a lot of time
> finished
> > "successfully", but the major surprise was that all files
> (zip, doc,
> > pdf, exe ...) were internally corrupted and completely
> unrecognizable!
> > After this I downloaded a hard drive test from Maxtor which
> completed
> > successful. Does this point to hardware or software issue?
> Should I
> > "blame" my video software?
> > Surprised to find little information on Web regarding this
> "virus
> > like" behavior for chkdsk.
> >
> > --
> > Posted using the http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's
> request
> standards
> > Topic URL:
> http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-NTFS-files-corrupted-chksk-ftopict540697.html
> > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report
> abuse:

thanks for reply, not aware of: <<48 bit LBA enabled in the registry>>
I will definitely check.
Two small corrections to my initial email:
- the event id for ntfs crash was: #55.
- I used initially Partition Magic to format the hard-drive!? After
the incident I used Maxtor tool.

dl

So why did you not partition using the win2k installation cd, or disk
management if a slave disk?

"DL" wrote:
> [...]
>   > > > --
>   > > > Posted using the
> http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's
>  > > request
>   > > > Articles individually checked for
> conformance to usenet
>  > > standards
>   > > > Topic URL:
>  > >
> http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-NTFS-files-corrupted-chksk-ftopict540697.html
>   > > > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg.
> req'd). Report
>  > > abuse:
>  > > http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1702763
> >
> > thanks for reply, not aware of: <<48 bit LBA enabled
> in the registry>>
> > I will definitely check.
> > Two small corrections to my initial email:
> > - the event id for ntfs crash was: #55.
> > - I used initially Partition Magic to format the

excellent point! For some reason at the moment I was under the
impression that only partition magic can handle this size of
hard-drive... I think the confusion originated in the difference
between FAT32-NTFS. Do you think the cause could be partition magic ?

dl

I have seen, and read of, problems caused when using a third party
partitioning tool, prior to installing win*
You might also want to check the MS enablelargeLba kb article.- it states
that if the reg.entry is not added, even if the version of win2k supports
largelba, corruption can occur
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305098

> [...]
http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-NTFS-files-corrupted-chksk-ftopict540697.html
> >   > > > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg.
> > req'd). Report
> >  > > abuse:
> >  > > http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1702763
> > >
> > > thanks for reply, not aware of: <<48 bit LBA enabled
> > in the registry>>
> > > I will definitely check.
> > > Two small corrections to my initial email:
> > > - the event id for ntfs crash was: #55.
> > > - I used initially Partition Magic to format the
> > hard-drive!? After
> > > the incident I used Maxtor tool.
>
> excellent point! For some reason at the moment I was under the
> impression that only partition magic can handle this size of
> hard-drive... I think the confusion originated in the difference
> between FAT32-NTFS. Do you think the cause could be partition magic ?

fyz

Hi,

There is a tool called Advanced PDF Repair. I have used it to repair many corrupt PDF files on my damaged disks successfully. Its homepage is http://www.datanumen.com/apdfr/

Hope this helps.