Your question

Looking for some input on first build.

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
December 30, 2006 2:42:45 PM

Well, I've got a list put together! Now I just need people to critique it (tear it apart) for me.

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 Conroe 2.13GHz 2M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor

Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3 Socket T (LGA 775) Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard

RAM CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

Power SupplyRAIDMAX AURORA RX-580F ATX 580Watts Power Supply 115/230 V UL, FCC, CSA, CB, TUV, CE

Video Card eVGA 640-P2-N821-AR GeForce 8800GTS 640MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card

Sound Card Creative Sound Blaster SB0610VP 7.1 Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Interface Audigy 4 SE Sound Card

Hard Drive SAMSUNG SpinPoint P Series SP2004C 200GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

DVD/CD Drive LG Black 18X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 18X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2M Cache IDE Super-Multi DVD Burner

Cooling Fan Scythe SCKTN-CU1000 92mm CPU Cooling Fan/Heatsink - Retail

Case Sunbeam Transformer IC-TR-B Blue Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case

I'm not going to use two video cards...ever. I want to keep things relatively simple and low-key (yeah, right). Plus, the motherboard doesn't support it!

Some concerns:

~I'm unsure about the fan; I've never tried overclocking before but it sounds interesting. Though, even if I did start to overclock I doubt I would push the processor very far.

~The PSU seems like a steal for that price but I have to be missing something.

~I haven't used a floppy disk in ages (come to think of it I don't transfer much from computer to computer) so I think I could skip on that. They're obsolete now, right?

~Does anyone know of a site that gives a walkthrough of assembling a computer? I've been studying this article but it's a little dated.

Finally, if you all could just give it a once over I'd be grateful.

More about : input build

December 30, 2006 2:57:13 PM

Look at this HDD for $15 more.
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 (Perpendicular Recording) ST3250620AS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache
Faster access times, 50GB more space, and 16MB cache. Well worth the extra $15 IMO.

If your budget is getting tight, check the S3 version of the mobo. Same board, different capacitors. Not a big deal unless you plan on using this PC for the next 5-10 years.

You pay for the name with Corsair, especially if you end up not OCing. Check out others like G. Skil, Geil, OCZ, etc. Good ram for less. If money is no object, what the hell, go crazy. :) 

Looks like a pretty good build though overall.
Related resources
December 30, 2006 5:18:49 PM

Wow! You guys are fast. Usually I have to wait a day or so on other forums.

Thunder,
I'm lucky that my budget is pretty flexible but I still wanna save money, y'know? Dropped about 50 bucks off the total following your advice!

I was checking out the different RAM brands like you suggested and I found this Geil memory for $210. I checked the reviews (not terribly reliable, I know) and read:
Quote:
To the reviewer below: please do not rate this product poorly just because you do not know how to change your DRAM ratios. Motherboards usually come by default with a 1:1 ratio, so to get it to run at 800MHz, you would have to change the ratio to 3:2 (DRAM:FSB).
WOW! Bit over my head. I kept looking and found Kingston memory for about ten bucks more. I think I'll go with them as it's a name I recognize. What do you think? Will I have to...uh...change my DRAM ratios? 8O

I think I'm going to stick the DS3 mother board because supposedly it's easier to install. I'm trying to keep things relatively simple so I don't panic too bad if something doesn't work on the first try.

The hard drive was a good idea as well so I've decided to grab that too.

Haywood, I noticed that the PSU is SLI compatible. Does that bump up the price any? Since I'm not going to be using SLI I figure I could shave off some of the price. Other wise it does look like a good deal, though I always have trouble with rebates for some reason...

Thanks, both of you. I really appreciate the great advice! :D 

EDIT: I found this PSU on Newegg. It's a Sunbeam which is a Tier 3 on the Official XS Tiered PSU Manufacturer Brand Listing (link from mpilchfamily's PSU 101, 90% of which I didn't understand :D ). Will I be able to get by on 550 since it's not likely I will be overclocking?
December 30, 2006 7:10:28 PM

Have a link to the PSU you picked?

Trust me when I say the S3 version of the mobo is identical to the DS3. Well, except for the capacitors. No difference in set up or anything. Not sure one could tell the difference with them sitting side by side.

This Ram is very good also. It's what I'm using currently, and have an OC of 60%.

Ignore the stuff in that rewiew you quoted. If you don't OC, you shouldn't have to mess with your ram raios or timings. However, the CPU/mobo you'll be getting should achieve a 400FSB no problem. Then you'd want to make sure your running the ram in a 1:1 ratio. 800 ram is a bit of overkill if you don't OC, but it gives you the option for the future for around the same money.
December 30, 2006 9:20:04 PM

It's not the power rating but the amps on the 12v rail that count. SLI probably adds to the cost of a PSU though how much is a good question.

I will not be going SLI, my mobo does not support it but the GTS needs juice and I will be adding another DVD, TV tuner and HD later. Never hurts to have the extra power. If I ever decide to move up th the 8800GTX, it requires 2 PCIE power connectors and I will have them.
December 30, 2006 11:16:41 PM

Well, here's the PSU I'm looking at. Nvidia recommends it (among many others, of course) and it's Tier 3 on the manufacturing list over on the XtremeSystems forums. Haywood makes a good point though...better to have something and not need it instead of needing it and not having it.

I feel better now knowing that you're using the motherboard and RAM you recommended. I'll check them out again.

Do either you have any ideas for cooling? How does the one I have up in my main post look?

Thanks again!
December 31, 2006 12:59:29 AM

Stock cooling is fine if you decide to OC. Aftermarket coolers are recommended if you OC. I'll be getting one in a month or so. The cheapest of the good ones is probably the Arctic Freezer 7 Pro.
December 31, 2006 4:23:29 PM

Good to know. I'll post a revised build later today then.
December 31, 2006 8:56:50 PM

Revised Build

Here it is guys.

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 Conroe 2.13GHz 2M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor

Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-965P-S3 Socket T (LGA 775) Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard

RAM G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

Power Supply Sunbeam NUUO SUNNU550-US-BK ATX12V/ EPS12V 550W Power Supply 100-120V CE, UL (CUL), TUV, CB, FCC, FIMKO, SEMKO, DEMKO, NEMKO (Will this be adequate for overclocking?)

Video Card eVGA 640-P2-N821-AR GeForce 8800GTS 640MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card

Sound Card Creative Sound Blaster SB0610VP 7.1 Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Interface Audigy 4 SE Sound Card

Hard Drive Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 (Perpendicular Recording) ST3250620AS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

DVD/CD Drive LG Black 18X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 18X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2M Cache IDE Super-Multi DVD Burner

Cooling Fan ZALMAN CNPS9500 AT 2 Ball CPU Cooling Fan/Heatsink (Thinking about it, overclocking may be fun to experiment with. Will this be sufficient?)

Case Sunbeam Transformer IC-TR-B Blue Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case
December 31, 2006 9:07:13 PM

Dont get that psu, Sunbeam makes crap power supplys. This one is a little more expensive, but the quality is alot higher then that other one, and it'll leave you room for a fairly high oc. The 9500 is a ripoff, decent cooling power, but its way to expensive. You could get a Scythe infinity or a Scythe Ninja for about the same price.