Anybody who works or worked with Geek Squad have some info on a test?

djnardu

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
Just got a job with GS today. It pays well for a part time job and is only 10 min from my campus.

The thing is there is a timed CIA test I must pass before they let me on the floor. Im assure of myself but still would like some tidbits if anybody has any.

Anybody take this this test, any idea on what I should expect?

Gandalf, are you sure this is the exam Geek Squad uses for its techs? Your link is to study material for the Certified Internal Auditor exam, I am not flaming you - I just thought it was kind of funny (I have many friends who are CIAs, CPAs, CFEs, and CGFMs (I even have a couple of those myself)).

djnardu: Try this link, or make your own variation.

Manicslayer

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010

Which, unfortunately, is most of them. My girlfriends sister recently had a virus on it and took it to the GS. She had accident protection but no virus removal plan and they wanted $150 for a virus removal! When I got there, it took me, NO JOKE, 2 minutes to disable the virus and clean the system completely. If you are going to work at GS, please make sure you're one of the ones who know wtf they are doing. I have talked to very competent workers who have worked for years at companies like Dell and I have had a very good time talking to them.

Anyways, the only point I had behind this whole rant is to try not to screw over the hundreds of soccer moms who can't even tell the difference between a bios and crossfire bridge. Congrats at working there, if I didn't have a job at ITS on campus I would definitely try it out myself. I'm sure the test isn't anything difficult at all. Just remain calm and you'll do fine on it. Maybe PM me about what you like/dislike about it because I wonder if it is more up my alley than my current job.

philmcknight

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012

The part I underlined always gets me. I am a Geek Squad Agent myself and sadly encounter this a lot. You have to think of it like this. It was a failure on the part of the computer sales associate who initially sold them their PC, NOT the fault of the Geek Squad agent. We sometimes get the wrath of folks who were treated bad by folks on the floor. I would get mad but let me tell you, if I were in their shoes I would be just as mad, if not more so. Customers should be told up front at the purchase of a new PC ALL of the services we offer. If they choose to disregard it, fine. It's on them. But forgetting to mention coverage on the one thing that is going to cause computer problems on 9 out of 10 computers is just plain dumb. If presented with all the facts, most clients I have encountered have had no issue investing in our services after the fact but it makes the store look bad when one weak link in the chain forgets something vital.