Sign in with
Your question

Ping time out Di-624

Last response: in Networking
June 25, 2006 3:58:57 AM

Please someone at the board help me. I've tried variouse boards and no one was able to help. Anyway I have a DI-624, firmware 2.70. I have opened a few ports for some games and they aren't working. Some reason it always says ping time out. It also does this for every port opened on my router. Including the ones my router came with. Can someone please help?

More about : ping time 624

June 25, 2006 3:06:00 PM

General this appens when the MTU is set to high. Located as an option on most routers, under the WAN advanced options. Lower to 1400 and see if that help.
This site DslReports under tool section there is one called tweek test. Run it for other sugestins.
June 25, 2006 6:48:44 PM

the tweak tool isn't working for some reason. But I did change the MTU and nothing changed my router isn't responding to tcp or udp ports help needed.
Related resources
June 25, 2006 7:46:32 PM

Tweek test requires Java. I just came from there site and it is having problems. Try it again later on. Proably too may connections.
June 26, 2006 12:57:44 AM

Ok here's what I got.

1. Your Tweakable Settings:
Receive Window (RWIN): 8760
Window Scaling: off
Path MTU Discovery: ON
RFC1323 Window Scaling: OFF
RFC1323 Time Stamping: OFF
Selective Acks: ON
MSS requested: 1452
TTL:
(less any hops behind firewall)
TTL remaining: 115
TOS/TOS subfield: 0
TOS/Flags:
2. Test 1024001 byte download
Actual data bytes sent: 1024001
Actual data packets: 707
Max packet sent (MTU): 1492
Max packet recd (MTU): 1492
Retransmitted data packets: 0
sacks you sent: 5
pushed data pkts: 206
data transmit time: 9.205 secs
our max idletime: 1902.3 ms
transfer rate: 107039 bytes/sec
transfer rate: 856 kbits/sec
This is not a speed test!
transfer efficiency: 100%
3. ICMP (ping) check
Minimum ping: 35.65 ms
Maximum ping: 37.77 ms
Ping stability:
36.61 35.65 37.77 36.78 37.16 36.49 37.08 37.40 36.88 37.07

Notes and recommendations:
Change MTU to 1500 (FAQ #652, #695)
We have no recommendations for <64k lines
download/use DRTCP .. (FAQ #578)
Read the tweak FAQ

Good data stream (no/few rexmits)
1 second+ stall detected (FAQ #1606)

Looking good

What should I do?
June 26, 2006 1:16:03 AM

Quote:
Change MTU to 1500 (FAQ #652, #695)
We have no recommendations for <64k lines
download/use DRTCP .. (FAQ #578)
Read the tweak FAQ

Did you check any recomendations made by dslreports?

Ports open on Di-624,

Have you ran a port scanner to verify that these port are actually open. When you add rules to firewall they are executed as the list indicates. So if the order is wrong it is possiable to block the rule before the rule is executed.

Here is another site that has advanced port scanner. You can actuall tell it what ports you want to test. http://www.pcflank.com/about.htm
June 26, 2006 1:21:15 AM

Ahhh.. thanks a lot this is what I got

Results of Advanced Port Scanner

TCP CONNECT scanning (scanned in 36 seconds)

We have scanned your computer' ports used by the most widespread trojan horses. Here is the description of possible ports' statuses:

"Stealthed" (by a firewall) -Means that your computer is invisible to others on the Internet and protected by a firewall or other similiar software;
"Closed" (non-stealthed) - means that this port is closed, but your computer is visible to others on the Internet that can be potentially dangerous;
"Open" - Means that this port is ready to establish (or has already established) a connection with remote address. It also means that your computer is vulnerable to attacks and could have been already hacked or infected by a trojan/backdoor;
Port: Status Service Description
7845 stealthed

But why is it stealthed? I opened it. What am I doing wrong?
June 26, 2006 1:31:36 AM

Need to double check the rule. You be blocking it. Also look closely at the order. If block all execute before open, block all works. Some allow you to enter rules but will not execute till you apply them.
June 26, 2006 1:42:01 AM

I allowed it in the firewall section. I allowed it in the virtual server section and I allowed it in the filter section.. and it's still saying that the port times out, Matter of fact it says all of my tcp ports time out.
June 26, 2006 1:51:40 AM

Most games use udp check to see if this is the problem.
June 26, 2006 2:22:13 AM

Ok so what else should I try and do?
June 26, 2006 2:46:17 AM

RED ALERT, :p 

Are you running a FIREWALL ??????

You will need to add the rules and or application into it to allow port trafic.

If not :cry: 

Looking at the Di614 manual,

remove every thing you added. save, then reboot the router.

After reboot, connect and go to "Firewall Rules"
check Enable Rules
enter: Name, ALLOW, Source IP(game site), Dest IP, TCP/UDP/Port range, sch.

SAVE, REBOOT ROUTER AGAIN.

Then test. Note this is tied to one IP Address. So test ing from another site will not work. Best Security, since you open the door.

If that's doesn't work, change the IP to reflect the port scanner and test again.

Try to figure how come your rules are not take place.
June 26, 2006 10:17:48 PM

I'm connected to the internet without connecting my router to verizon us9ing the PPPOE, you think that can be the reason why?
June 26, 2006 10:41:38 PM

No PPPoE is not the problem. It only effects the MTU setting.

But test to see if your pc has the needed open ports, with your direct connection. That will eliminate the ISP from blocking the port. Or firewall.

I had an old router once that required a reboot every time I made a change.

Check with the web site that is hosting the game. Most of the time they have instuctions on how to open up ports related to your router.

Did you ever blow away your router to factory and start over?

A gut feeling tells me it's a FIREWALL thing.
June 26, 2006 10:47:39 PM

I did test by using the "ping test" in my router.. It always says ping result time out. What exactly does ping time out mean?
June 26, 2006 10:58:17 PM

Time Out means it did not respond in the time alotted. Sometimes known as a blackhole.

Ping using the website's name like "ping yahoo.com" this will test the DNS server too. It will also give the the IP address of there server.
June 26, 2006 11:00:55 PM

Ok so I opened the ports and it's still not responding to the ports... the bad thing is that this happened after I uppdated my firmware.. maybe if I downgrade the problem will be fixed? can you tell me where I can get older di 624 firmware?
June 27, 2006 12:02:49 AM

were you able to ping by name.com???

Are you using the port scanner to check or the web site?

Use Port scanner.

Does the game work with out the router?

Risky unless you have a personal firewall.
June 27, 2006 12:45:03 AM

Ahhh I figured something out.. when i put zbattle.com in the ping test it said time out..

When I put yahoo.com in the ping test it said sucessfull

It probably does work without the router.
June 27, 2006 12:55:46 AM

They may have there server set NOT TO RESPOND TO PING.
June 27, 2006 12:57:48 AM

So how can I play if they have there server not respond to ping
June 27, 2006 1:23:15 AM

Pings are only a diag tool. The site could also be down.

As long as the site is up, it can run anoymos with ports open in a range that are normally used for http services.

Do you Know if the site is UP
???

If so, work on opening up the ports, through the router. Use port scanner to verify without going to the gaming site.

Most router have the capabilty to trigger ports. Meaning when you launch a application and trigger a port, it auto open others. This allows the firewall to stay up and only open the required for minimal exposure.
June 27, 2006 2:06:08 AM

the site is up and i tried triggering and it's still stealthed.
June 27, 2006 12:33:46 PM

You need to talk with dlink, if it is not opening up the ports. If you can get the site to work with out the router.

Remember on rules it executes them in a specific order. So if you reject all before the run allow, reject all wins.
June 27, 2006 8:21:38 PM

Try bypassing the router. I have the same router and you have done everything correctly on the router end. If it is not a software firewall on your computer then it may be a bunked router. What OS are you running and if it is XPSP2 you may have to kill the security center or atleast allow it through. Also are you running Windows Defender? That program often stops network traffic. I ran a wireless media player and it stopped it from connecting. Although I had it running wired at the time.
June 28, 2006 9:32:19 PM

I'm using windows 98se I dont have windows defender.. And i'm not running wireless media player. any suggestions?
June 29, 2006 12:38:51 AM

When you opened the port, did you forward it?

When ports are forware to a NON USED IP Address they become STEALTHED.
June 29, 2006 1:11:24 AM

My ip is used and I fowared it to mine if that's what you mean.

Unless you're trying to say foward it to every ip adress on my network.
June 29, 2006 1:22:22 AM

So you have say a IP addy something like 192.168.0.102 and you have that vitual port forwarded to that address??
June 29, 2006 2:20:00 AM

here
June 29, 2006 10:56:10 AM

Go under applications and add it there. I also imagine that screne was added to the firewall rules list?? Check to make sure it is on that list. if not add it to that list too.
July 2, 2006 1:32:53 PM

Quote:
Please someone at the board help me. I've tried variouse boards and no one was able to help. Anyway I have a DI-624, firmware 2.70. I have opened a few ports for some games and they aren't working. Some reason it always says ping time out. It also does this for every port opened on my router. Including the ones my router came with. Can someone please help?

I heard d-link routers have this thing called "game mode" where you choose the games u want to play and it opens the ports and such. Did u try that?
July 2, 2006 11:32:54 PM

[/quote]I heard d-link routers have this thing called "game mode" where you choose the games u want to play and it opens the ports and such. Did u try that?[/quote]

The DI-624 does not have a game mode thingy. It does have a applications area where they have most commonly played games ( i would imagine anyhow) area.. It has about 7 ports for cetian types of games like battlemode or whatnot. I dont remember right off hand but I have a DI-624 and have seen these settings. I am not a gamer so i have never used these.
!