Can't see USB external hard drive

I'm using a Sony external firewire/usb case (DRX-530UL) to house an IDE hard
drive. I only have USB inputs in the computer. It detects a USB Mass
Storage Device in Device Manager and says a suitable driver is already
installed. Yet nothing comes up in Windows Explorer or Disk Management.
There used to be a DVD burner in this enclosure. Could it be that the
circuitry is designed solely for the DVD burner and not for a hard drive? I
also tried it (with the USB and Firewire) in a Mac with no luck as well.
10 answers Last reply
More about external hard drive

    Hi Bubba,
    It should be showing when you click My Computer, it should show the
    device as a seperate letter like drive c as an example.

    "Bubba" wrote:

    > I'm using a Sony external firewire/usb case (DRX-530UL) to house an IDE hard
    > drive. I only have USB inputs in the computer. It detects a USB Mass
    > Storage Device in Device Manager and says a suitable driver is already
    > installed. Yet nothing comes up in Windows Explorer or Disk Management.
    > There used to be a DVD burner in this enclosure. Could it be that the
    > circuitry is designed solely for the DVD burner and not for a hard drive? I
    > also tried it (with the USB and Firewire) in a Mac with no luck as well.

    > > I'm using a Sony external firewire/usb case (DRX-530UL) to house an
    > > IDE hard drive. I only have USB inputs in the computer. It detects a
    > > USB Mass Storage Device (a second hard drive) in Device Manager
    > > and says a suitable driver is already installed. Yet nothing comes up
    > > in Windows Explorer or Disk Management. There used to be a DVD
    > > burner in this enclosure. Could it be that the circuitry is designed
    solely
    > > for the DVD burner and not for a hard drive? I also tried it (with the
    > > USB and Firewire) in a Mac with no luck as well.
    > >
    > It should be showing when you click My Computer, it should show the
    > device as a seperate letter like drive c as an example.

    No doubt that's what it SHOULD do. But it ain't doin' it. I only wish I
    knew
    why.

    Bubba wrote:
    > I'm using a Sony external firewire/usb case (DRX-530UL) to house an IDE hard
    > drive. I only have USB inputs in the computer. It detects a USB Mass
    > Storage Device in Device Manager and says a suitable driver is already
    > installed. Yet nothing comes up in Windows Explorer or Disk Management.
    > There used to be a DVD burner in this enclosure. Could it be that the
    > circuitry is designed solely for the DVD burner and not for a hard drive? I
    > also tried it (with the USB and Firewire) in a Mac with no luck as well.

    *******************NOT SPAM BRUCEY*******************
    Try going to manufacturer's site and see if there are any special
    drivers or jumpers needed. Also you may try DriverGuide.
    -max

    >> I'm using a Sony external firewire/usb case (DRX-530UL) to house an IDE
    >> hard
    >> drive. I only have USB inputs in the computer. It detects a USB Mass
    >> Storage Device in Device Manager and says a suitable driver is already
    >> installed. Yet nothing comes up in Windows Explorer or Disk Management.
    >> There used to be a DVD burner in this enclosure. Could it be that the
    >> circuitry is designed solely for the DVD burner and not for a hard
    >> drive? I
    >> also tried it (with the USB and Firewire) in a Mac with no luck as well.
    >>
    > Try going to manufacturer's site and see if there are any special
    > drivers or jumpers needed. Also you may try DriverGuide.

    I did. No luck.

    >> I'm using a Sony external firewire/usb case (DRX-530UL) to house an IDE
    >> hard
    >> drive. I only have USB inputs in the computer. It detects a USB Mass
    >> Storage Device in Device Manager and says a suitable driver is already
    >> installed. Yet nothing comes up in Windows Explorer or Disk Management.
    >> There used to be a DVD burner in this enclosure. Could it be that the
    >> circuitry is designed solely for the DVD burner and not for a hard
    >> drive? I
    >> also tried it (with the USB and Firewire) in a Mac with no luck as well.
    >>
    > Try going to manufacturer's site and see if there are any special
    > drivers or jumpers needed. Also you may try DriverGuide.

    The problem might be that this used to house a DVD burner. Now I replaced
    the burner with a hard drive. I need drivers for a USB mass storage device
    perhaps. But nothing has worked so far. I thought USB was plug and play.

    Right click My Computer - manage. Goto disk management and see if the drive
    shows - if it does you may need to change the drive letter assignment.

    "Bubba" <respondtogroup@here.com> wrote in message
    > I'm using a Sony external firewire/usb case (DRX-530UL) to house an IDE
    > hard
    > drive. I only have USB inputs in the computer. It detects a USB Mass
    > Storage Device in Device Manager and says a suitable driver is already
    > installed. Yet nothing comes up in Windows Explorer or Disk Management.
    > There used to be a DVD burner in this enclosure. Could it be that the
    > circuitry is designed solely for the DVD burner and not for a hard drive?
    > also tried it (with the USB and Firewire) in a Mac with no luck as well.

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    >> I'm using a Sony external firewire/usb case (DRX-530UL) to house an IDE
    >> hard drive. I only have USB inputs in the computer. It detects a USB
    >> Mass Storage Device in Device Manager and says a suitable driver is
    >> already
    >> installed. Yet nothing comes up in Windows Explorer or Disk Management.
    >> There used to be a DVD burner in this enclosure. Could it be that the
    >> circuitry is designed solely for the DVD burner and not for a hard
    >> drive? I also tried it (with the USB and Firewire) in a Mac with no luck
    >> as well.
    >
    > Right click My Computer - manage. Goto disk management and see if the
    > drive shows - if it does you may need to change the drive letter
    > assignment.

    See above. Nothing shows up in Windows Explorer or Disk Management.
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    is the format compatible ?

    try changing the jumpers on the drive itself - try the lot
    if it first does not work ie cable select / master / slave

    Is the drive getting enough power from the port ? does it
    need an additional power cable or supply ?

    good luck

    Geoff

    > > > I'm using a Sony external firewire/usb case
    (DRX-530UL) to house an
    > > > IDE hard drive. I only have USB inputs in the
    computer. It detects a
    > > > USB Mass Storage Device (a second hard drive) in
    Device Manager
    > > > and says a suitable driver is already installed. Yet
    nothing comes up
    > > > in Windows Explorer or Disk Management. There used to
    be a DVD
    > > > burner in this enclosure. Could it be that the
    circuitry is designed
    > solely
    > > > for the DVD burner and not for a hard drive? I also
    tried it (with the
    > > > USB and Firewire) in a Mac with no luck as well.
    > > >
    > > It should be showing when you click My Computer, it
    should show the
    > > device as a seperate letter like drive c as an example.
    >
    > No doubt that's what it SHOULD do. But it ain't doin' it.
    I only wish I
    > knew
    > why.

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    > (DRX-530UL) to house an
    > computer. It detects a
    > Device Manager
    > nothing comes up
    > be a DVD
    > circuitry is designed
    >> solely
    > tried it (with the
    >> > >
    >> > It should be showing when you click My Computer, it
    > should show the
    >> > device as a seperate letter like drive c as an example.
    >>
    >> No doubt that's what it SHOULD do. But it ain't doin' it.
    > I only wish I
    >> knew
    >> why.
    >>
    > is the format compatible ?
    >
    > try changing the jumpers on the drive itself - try the lot
    > if it first does not work ie cable select / master / slave

    Did it. Nothing worked.

    > Is the drive getting enough power from the port ? does it
    > need an additional power cable or supply ?

    Yes.
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    "Bubba" <replytogroup@ok.com> wrote in message
    > > (DRX-530UL) to house an
    > > computer. It detects a
    > > Device Manager
    Yet
    > > nothing comes up
    > > be a DVD
    > > circuitry is designed
    > >> solely
    also
    > > tried it (with the

    > > should show the
    example.

    > >> No doubt that's what it SHOULD do. But it ain't doin'
    it.
    > > I only wish I
    > >> knew
    > >> why.
    > >>
    > > is the format compatible ?
    > >
    > > try changing the jumpers on the drive itself - try the
    lot
    > > if it first does not work ie cable select / master /
    slave

    > Did it. Nothing worked.
    >
    > > Is the drive getting enough power from the port ? does
    it
    > > need an additional power cable or supply ?
    >
    > Yes.

    are you sure the drive is alive ?

USB External Hard Drive Windows