How to Lock Keyboard?

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
June 6, 2005 6:24:04 PM

I have two workstations using windows 2000 pro and one using xp pro. Is
there a command I can use to lock the keyboard so a young child won't mess up
things?

More about : lock keyboard

June 6, 2005 11:36:57 PM

In news:80A8288F-71FC-4675-87E2-4DFB6A93804D@microsoft.com,
Mark Nave <MarkNave@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> I have two workstations using windows 2000 pro and one using xp pro.
> Is there a command I can use to lock the keyboard so a young child
> won't mess up things?

WinKey + L will lock the entire desktop and, assuming they don't know your
password, will prevent them from harming the system though you will find
they can still pound on the keyboard but it won't hurt anything unless they
spill juice on it.

Galen

Sherlock Holmes
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 3:41:54 PM

"Galen" <galennews@gmail.com> wrote in

> In news:80A8288F-71FC-4675-87E2-4DFB6A93804D@microsoft.com,
> Mark Nave <MarkNave@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

>> I have two workstations using windows 2000 pro and one using xp pro.
>> Is there a command I can use to lock the keyboard so a young child
>> won't mess up things?
>
> WinKey + L will lock the entire desktop and, assuming they don't know
> your password, will prevent them from harming the system though you will
> find they can still pound on the keyboard but it won't hurt anything
> unless they spill juice on it.
>
> Galen

WinKey + L doesn't seem to work in Windows 2000.

However, you can create a shortcut and drag it onto your Quick Launch Bar.
So, anywhere on your desktop, right click and then go to New... and then in
the field, enter:

%windir%\system32\rundll32.exe user32.dll,LockWorkStation

Click Next, and then give it a name like "Lock Workstation". Then, click
Finish.

Finally, you can then drag that shortcut onto the Quick Launch toolbar.
So, whenever you walk away, you can just click that shortcut in the Quick
Launch and you can lock your computer from being tampered with, provided no
one knows your password, of course.

The other traditional way to lock it with Win2k (as well as for Windows XP
if you don't use the annoying "Welcome" screen), is to just press CTRL-ALT-
DEL and then press K.

-lyj

June 7, 2005 5:37:07 PM

In news:Xns966E80850986CchrishchyahoocomSpam@38.119.71.104,
LastYJ <carsx88-6012@yahoo.comm.> had this to say:

> "Galen" <galennews@gmail.com> wrote in
>
>> In news:80A8288F-71FC-4675-87E2-4DFB6A93804D@microsoft.com,
>> Mark Nave <MarkNave@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

>>> I have two workstations using windows 2000 pro and one using xp pro.
>>> Is there a command I can use to lock the keyboard so a young child
>>> won't mess up things?
>>
>> WinKey + L will lock the entire desktop and, assuming they don't know
>> your password, will prevent them from harming the system though you
>> will find they can still pound on the keyboard but it won't hurt
>> anything unless they spill juice on it.
>>
>> Galen
>

> WinKey + L doesn't seem to work in Windows 2000.
>
> However, you can create a shortcut and drag it onto your Quick Launch
> Bar.
> So, anywhere on your desktop, right click and then go to New... and
> then in
> the field, enter:
>
> %windir%\system32\rundll32.exe user32.dll,LockWorkStation
>
> Click Next, and then give it a name like "Lock Workstation". Then,
> click
> Finish.
>
> Finally, you can then drag that shortcut onto the Quick Launch
> toolbar.
> So, whenever you walk away, you can just click that shortcut in the
> Quick
> Launch and you can lock your computer from being tampered with,
> provided no
> one knows your password, of course.
>

> The other traditional way to lock it with Win2k (as well as for
> Windows XP
> if you don't use the annoying "Welcome" screen), is to just press
> CTRL-ALT-
> DEL and then press K.
>

> -lyj

> News==---- http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the
> World! 120,000+ Newsgroups ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms -
> Total Privacy via Encryption =----

Doh! Thanks. *bashful grin* I could have sworn that was one of the WinKeys
that worked with 2k but I'll take your word on it as I don't have 2k
installed on any of the PCs right here. I spend too much time on XP these
days.

Galen

Sherlock Holmes
!