Thermal Grease

Rusti

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2006
Which is the best Thermal Grease? I have a syringe of Arctic Silver 5 and with my Zalman 9700, I got a container of their Zalman Thermal Grease. I've heard good things about both. Just wondering if any of you have any opinions.

plankmeister

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
Read this and you'll learn that there's not really so much of a difference. A couple of degrees at most. AS5 is very common, however, because it is good stuff.

Is fancy thermal goop as good as the manufacturers would like you to believe, and as various Junior Overclockers do believe? Nope.

Is it, therefore, a complete waste of money? Absolutely not.

I assume that this was the point you were really tring to make. However as the OP has stated that he already has the thermal compounds and was looking for advice as to which one was the better to use.

If you want to tell him it makes no difference then fair enough. Linking to a review of AS3 is really about as much use as a fart in a space suit though.

You are not the only one to ask this question.. Have a look at this NVnews forum thread. Here the conclusion is very little difference.

The best I could find on a quick hunt was this PC Modding Malaysia link which tested ZM-STG1 v AS5

The conclusion from that review:

chart.jpg

So my thoughts are little difference but leaning towards AS5.

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
It really depends though, on GPUs is better because of the surfaces its against. But when you lap the HSF to a very fine grit you will find that the runnier the paste the better, in this case the Zalman nail polish would do better.
Since the OP has both pastes I dont see whats the problem in testing them both 8)

plankmeister

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
Heh heh! Could do half and half... AS5 over the one core, The Zalman stuff over the other... See which core is coolest! :p

EDIT: That is.... if it's a dual core processor....

EDIT2: And yes I was joking

insightdriver

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
no thermal compound difference make a 3 or 4 deg C difference. There are too many variable involved to trust data like that. To truly be scientific about it, a measured layer (to manufacturer's specifications) would have to be applied (not something you can do by hand). The pressure and planarity of the heatsink would have to be regulated and measured (to eliminate differences that occur with minor mounting variations due to tolerances). Then a true caloric measurement of heat put out by the test surface would have to be compared by the true heat at both sides of the interface. This would require instrumentation that can adequately measure it.

In the real world, when you use a software tool that reads out the hardware that is on a motherboard you are not getting precise or even necessarily accurate information. Don't be misled by data, like the NVnews link pointed out. You would be amazed if you had ten identical computers, and saw what the variation was in temperature readouts on each one of them while running the same benchmark. There is around a ten percent difference between them all.

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
LOL, nice one.

@Everyone:
DaClan has tested many different pastes in the most realistic, current era, conditions we could think of. We will post the results as soon as theyre completed, in about a week.