How to specify auto dialup to ISP upon boot-up ?

Tags:
  • Internet Service Providers
  • Dialup
  • Microsoft
  • Windows 2000
  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
June 7, 2005 6:32:01 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.win2000,24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.os.windows2000 (More info?)

In Windows 2000, how do you tell the system whether or not
to automatically dialup to the ISP each time the machine boots up ?
(not everytime the browser gets opened, but everytime the system boots
up).

Thanks for your help.

More about : auto dialup isp boot

Anonymous
June 7, 2005 7:30:45 AM

DL wrote:
>Out of interest, why?

Because a friend of mine whom I'm trying to assist called me
and told me that recently the computer would automatically
dial up to the ISP everytime the computer boots up,
and wants to have that turned off.
I haven't yet had a chance to go there and check it out,
so I'm trying to plan ahead and be prepared.

Does there have to be a complicated reason? :)
June 7, 2005 10:27:17 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.win2000,24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.os.windows2000 (More info?)

"wylbur37" <wylbur37nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> In Windows 2000, how do you tell the system whether or not
> to automatically dialup to the ISP each time the machine boots up ?
> (not everytime the browser gets opened, but everytime the system boots
> up).
>
> Thanks for your help.

Configure the dial-up connectoid to NOT connect automatically and have
it prompt for login credentials. Something is getting loaded that wants
a network connection and the current setup is allowing it without an
intervening prompt to the user. Or have them use their firewall logs to
determine what process is attempting to make a connection and to where.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 1:32:41 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.win2000,24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.os.windows2000 (More info?)

That is about the most backward way of asking about a problem I have
ever seen. Try asking:
"What would cause a PC to dial out whenever it boots up? I need to
make it stop.

What you asked for was a method make it dial out on purpose, which it
exactly the opposite of what you want to do.

wylbur37 wrote:

> "wylbur37" <wylbur37nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>In Windows 2000, how do you tell the system whether or not
>>to automatically dialup to the ISP each time the machine boots up ?
>>(not everytime the browser gets opened, but everytime the system boots
>>up).
>

> DL wrote:
>
>>Out of interest, why?
>

> Because a friend of mine whom I'm trying to assist called me
> and told me that recently the computer would automatically
> dial up to the ISP everytime the computer boots up,
> and wants to have that turned off.
> I haven't yet had a chance to go there and check it out,
> so I'm trying to plan ahead and be prepared.
>
> Does there have to be a complicated reason? :)

Anonymous
June 7, 2005 1:38:23 PM

On 7 Jun 2005 02:32:01 -0700, "wylbur37" <wylbur37nospam@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>In Windows 2000, how do you tell the system whether or not
>to automatically dialup to the ISP each time the machine boots up ?
>(not everytime the browser gets opened, but everytime the system boots
>up).
>
>Thanks for your help.

The computer will dial a connection if you have a program that needs
internet access starting with Windows.

If you don't want that, you can remove that program or configure it to
not dial (many programs use Windows's settings). Also, your firewall
may be able to block it.

--
"Today, the theory of evolution is an accepted fact
for everyone but a fundamentalist minority, whose

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.win2000,24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.os.windows2000 (More info?)

Out of interest, why?

"wylbur37" <wylbur37nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> In Windows 2000, how do you tell the system whether or not
> to automatically dialup to the ISP each time the machine boots up ?
> (not everytime the browser gets opened, but everytime the system boots
> up).
>
> Thanks for your help.

Anonymous
June 7, 2005 3:12:37 PM

wylbur37 wrote:
> "wylbur37" <wylbur37nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>In Windows 2000, how do you tell the system whether or not
>>to automatically dialup to the ISP each time the machine boots up ?
>>(not everytime the browser gets opened, but everytime the system boots
>>up).
>

> DL wrote:
>
>>Out of interest, why?
>

> Because a friend of mine whom I'm trying to assist called me
> and told me that recently the computer would automatically
> dial up to the ISP everytime the computer boots up,
> and wants to have that turned off.
> I haven't yet had a chance to go there and check it out,
> so I'm trying to plan ahead and be prepared.
>
> Does there have to be a complicated reason? :)

Sounds like adware or spyware is dialing up and doing its dirty work.
Maybe even a trojan. Clean up his machine.

First configure the dial-up connection applet to require manual entry of
the password - he's probably got it set to "remember password." That IMO
is a Dumb Thing To Do, as your friend has just discovered.

Second install at least two of Ad-Aware, SPysweeper, Spybot, CounterSpy
etc. Some of this is shareware, or the current most powerful version is
available for a price (the freeware vesrion will be older.) If your
friend balks at paying money, remind him gently that his machine is
vulnerable without these and other protections, and there is a limit to
how much you can help him if he won't help himself. I used to be nice to
to people who failed to protect their machines, but now I'm (politely)
brutal about their irresponsibility. I recommend that modus operandi to
you and to all who have been co-opted by their friends to fix their
machines.

Good luck!
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 6:16:54 PM

On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 09:32:41 -0500, Bob I <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote:

>That is about the most backward way of asking about a problem I have
>ever seen. Try asking:
> "What would cause a PC to dial out whenever it boots up? I need to
>make it stop.
>
>What you asked for was a method make it dial out on purpose, which it
>exactly the opposite of what you want to do.

It did look strange, and I hjad never seem it asked this way before.
Notice that these 2 things are really 2 sides of the SAME thing, and
an answer to one will be helpful in solving the other problem.

>wylbur37 wrote:
>
>> "wylbur37" <wylbur37nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>In Windows 2000, how do you tell the system whether or not
>>>to automatically dialup to the ISP each time the machine boots up ?
>>>(not everytime the browser gets opened, but everytime the system boots
>>>up).
>>

>> DL wrote:
>>
>>>Out of interest, why?
>>

>> Because a friend of mine whom I'm trying to assist called me
>> and told me that recently the computer would automatically
>> dial up to the ISP everytime the computer boots up,
>> and wants to have that turned off.
>> I haven't yet had a chance to go there and check it out,
>> so I'm trying to plan ahead and be prepared.
>>
>> Does there have to be a complicated reason? :)

--
"Today, the theory of evolution is an accepted fact
for everyone but a fundamentalist minority, whose
objections are based not on reasoning but on
doctrinaire adherence to religious principles"
-- James D. Watson
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 7:13:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.win2000,24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.os.windows2000 (More info?)

How about if we tell you how to fix it. Download, install, update and run
all of the following.

Ad-Aware

Spybot search and destroy
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/

Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta)
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/softwa...

a copy of the log file and cut and paste it back here to the group so that
it can be analyzed.

HijackThis

!