Probems after installing SP2

We installed Service Pack 2 on the 19th and since then we have to start up in
safe mode to do a restore to the time just after loading Service Pack 2. any
suggestions as what to do next?
4 answers Last reply
More about probems installing

    Did you remove all spyware and check for viruses before installing SP2? If
    not, you may need to uninstall SP2 and prepare the system according to
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.aspx
    before reinstalling SP2. You also should update your drivers from the
    manufacturers' websites (or at least make sure you are using the latest
    versions).

    "in trouble again" <in trouble again@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:4DAFDEE7-5493-4866-8125-1E8F7298865D@microsoft.com...
    > We installed Service Pack 2 on the 19th and since then we have to start up
    > in
    > safe mode to do a restore to the time just after loading Service Pack 2.
    > any
    > suggestions as what to do next?

    I do not know if that was checked first.
    Do I have to do more than just go to add remove programs and remove Service
    Pack 2 from the list?

    "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

    > Did you remove all spyware and check for viruses before installing SP2? If
    > not, you may need to uninstall SP2 and prepare the system according to
    > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.aspx
    > before reinstalling SP2. You also should update your drivers from the
    > manufacturers' websites (or at least make sure you are using the latest
    > versions).

    > "in trouble again" <in trouble again@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > message news:4DAFDEE7-5493-4866-8125-1E8F7298865D@microsoft.com...
    > > We installed Service Pack 2 on the 19th and since then we have to start up
    > > in
    > > safe mode to do a restore to the time just after loading Service Pack 2.
    > > any
    > > suggestions as what to do next?

    If it shows in Add/Remove, that's how you do it. If it does not show, check
    the box for "show updates".

    "in trouble again" <introubleagain@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:43737FC3-6518-4EBA-BE8D-73A2353EABC4@microsoft.com...
    >I do not know if that was checked first.
    > Do I have to do more than just go to add remove programs and remove
    > Service
    > Pack 2 from the list?
    >

    > "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
    >
    >> Did you remove all spyware and check for viruses before installing SP2?
    >> If
    >> not, you may need to uninstall SP2 and prepare the system according to
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.aspx
    >> before reinstalling SP2. You also should update your drivers from the
    >> manufacturers' websites (or at least make sure you are using the latest
    >> versions).
    >>
    >> --
    >> "in trouble again" <in trouble again@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    >> message news:4DAFDEE7-5493-4866-8125-1E8F7298865D@microsoft.com...
    >> > We installed Service Pack 2 on the 19th and since then we have to start
    >> > up
    >> > in
    >> > safe mode to do a restore to the time just after loading Service Pack
    >> > 2.
    >> > any
    >> > suggestions as what to do next?

    "in trouble again" <introubleagain@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:43737FC3-6518-4EBA-BE8D-73A2353EABC4@microsoft.com...
    >I do not know if that was checked first.
    > Do I have to do more than just go to add remove programs and remove
    > Service
    > Pack 2 from the list?
    >

    > "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
    >
    >> Did you remove all spyware and check for viruses before installing SP2?
    >> If
    >> not, you may need to uninstall SP2 and prepare the system according to
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.aspx
    >> before reinstalling SP2. You also should update your drivers from the
    >> manufacturers' websites (or at least make sure you are using the latest
    >> versions).
    >>
    >> --
    >> "in trouble again" <in trouble again@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    >> message news:4DAFDEE7-5493-4866-8125-1E8F7298865D@microsoft.com...
    >> > We installed Service Pack 2 on the 19th and since then we have to start
    >> > up
    >> > in
    >> > safe mode to do a restore to the time just after loading Service Pack
    >> > 2.
    >> > any
    >> > suggestions as what to do next?

    After removing SP2 run a good updated anti-virus.
    Then eliminate any spyware.
    What You Should Know About Spyware
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/devioussoftware.mspx

    CAUTION!!!!! Before you try to remove spyware using any of these programs ,
    download a copy of LSPFIX from any of the following sites:
    http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm
    (if your OS is Win2k or XP) The process of removing certain malware may kill
    your internet connection. If this should occur, this program, LSPFIX, will
    enable you to regain your connection.

    See
    Dealing with Unwanted Malware, Parasites, Toolbars and Search Engines
    http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

    Note that AdAware and SpyBot S & D will each catch some things the other
    won't. Also, each needs to be updated with the program's update function
    before every use, even when just downloaded. There's also a lot more to do
    than just those two programs. CWShredder is also available here:
    http://www.intermute.com/products/cwshredder
    **Post your HijackThis log to
    http://www.spywareinfo.com/forums/
    http://forums.tomcoyote.org/
    http://castlecops.com/forum67.html
    http://www.wilderssecurity.com/ or the Spyware forum at
    http://forum.aumha.org/viewforum.php?f=30 for expert analysis, not here.**
    Alternative download pages for Ad-Aware, Spybot, HijackThis and CWShredder
    may be found on this page:
    http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm.

    See this link for information about malware:
    http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/malware.ars

    If nothing there helps, please post back to this thread.

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

Safe Mode Microsoft Windows XP