Question for Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 owners

randomjester

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2006
Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX Certified Computer 3-Speaker System
http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/promedia-2-1.aspx

I have a question for people who have that Klipsch speaker system.
Is there at all any type of noticeable sound such as static, hum, hiss, etc, that comes out of the speakers while they are turned on and nothing at all is playing?

I ask this because I have Dell's ADA995 Altec Lansing 5.1 Speaker System and that speaker system has a known defective subwoofer which causes all the speakers to make a very noticeable constant static sound.

Thanks

astrallite

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2005
Almost all PC speakers which use a tweeter have some hiss when there is nothing playing. This is due to analog amplifier noise because subwoofer-based amplifiers tend to be efficient but have high amount of distortion (in other words, they aren't actually designed to amplifier speakers) and have nothing to do with the speakers.

Many of the 1-way satellites don't have this problem, but it has more to do with the fact that such speakers have limited sound reproducing capabilities than anything else.

Sirfiroth

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2006
I have been using the klipsch 2.1 for over a year now and there is no hiss or hum associated with these speakers during the quiet times with no background noise. For the money they are hard to beat!!!!

OxxY

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2004
i have gmx 2.1, yes there is a hissing sound come from the speaker sattelite, some people found it very distracting but for me its still ok, is still not that loud.
I also notice that the left speaker is louder than the right one, does anybody got this problem before?

Suzuka

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
You can hear some little hissing if you crank up the volume to near max, but that is normal, besides you will never need to crank it up past 50% anyway unless your master volume is very low.

OxxY

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2004
I am not trying to steal a topic here but i am just want to know how usually you guys(klipsch user0 adjust the volume level? since it is says in the manual to keep the wave volume to 50%.... so how about the master volume ? do you always put it in 100$

thx

astrallite

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2005
You should maximize the master and wave volumes to relieve stress on your amp, unless it comes at the cost of distortion (which some onboard soundcards have plenty of).

ibticktock

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
The only way I can hear hiss is if I put my ear to the speaker after turning the volume up at a much higher level than I would normally listen at. If my computer was deal silent it might be a different matter though. Any hiss is comletely unaudible during actual music. I've had these speakers for over 2 years and I love them. Very musical sounding without over emphasizing any one point on the frequency scale.