troubleshooter not working??

in device manager i have a troubleshooter for certain devices..

troubleshooter doesn't work lately.

i click on it and nothing happens.

is there any way to reset / reload it so as to make it work?

thanks in advance,

robert
(xp home sp2)

Hi Robert,

Give this a try and see if it solves the problem.......

Go to Start>Run and key in:
regsvr32 jscript.dll
Click on OK or hit ENTER
Click on OK in the RegSvr32 dialogue box
Do the same as above for vbscript.dll

Regards,

--
Patti MacLeod
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Robert J. Lafayette" <xyz1234@msn.invalid> wrote in message
> in device manager i have a troubleshooter for certain devices..
>
> troubleshooter doesn't work lately.
>
> i click on it and nothing happens.
>
> is there any way to reset / reload it so as to make it work?
>
> thanks in advance,
>
> robert
> (xp home sp2)

Hi Robert,

Are you able to run Helpctr.exe from Start/Run? (without typing helpctr.exe's full path)

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"Robert J. Lafayette" <xyz1234@msn.invalid> wrote in message news:uIvmd4LAFHA.3416@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
in device manager i have a troubleshooter for certain devices..

troubleshooter doesn't work lately.

i click on it and nothing happens.

is there any way to reset / reload it so as to make it work?

thanks in advance,

robert
(xp home sp2)

using xp home, sp2.

thanks for asking.

can not run 'help and support' from start menu.

from "search"

found several 'helpcrt.exe' in following three folders:

1- windows/ service packfiles\i386
2- windows/ software distribution\
downloads-1-5-18\0915379b547e57fc174520805bc480\backup

3- windows/pchealth\healthctr\bianaries

please help.

robert

Hi Robert,

Are you able to run Helpctr.exe from Start/Run? (without typing
helpctr.exe's full path)

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

"Robert J. Lafayette" <xyz1234@msn.invalid> wrote in message
in device manager i have a troubleshooter for certain devices..

troubleshooter doesn't work lately.

i click on it and nothing happens.

is there any way to reset / reload it so as to make it work?

thanks in advance,

robert
(xp home sp2)

thanks for your guidance.

did:
Go to Start>Run and key in:
> regsvr32 jscript.dll
> Click on OK or hit ENTER
> Click on OK in the RegSvr32 dialogue box

something happened.

then did
Do the same as above for "vbscript.dll"

and could not answer dialog box question what program this runs.

still no help and support when i click on from start menu.

please advise

robert

"Patti MacLeod" <pam120@nospamshaw.ca> wrote in message
> Hi Robert,
>
> Give this a try and see if it solves the problem.......
>
> Go to Start>Run and key in:
> regsvr32 jscript.dll
> Click on OK or hit ENTER
> Click on OK in the RegSvr32 dialogue box
> Do the same as above for vbscript.dll
>

> Regards,
>
> --
> Patti MacLeod
> Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
>
> "Robert J. Lafayette" <xyz1234@msn.invalid> wrote in message
>> in device manager i have a troubleshooter for certain devices..
>>
>> troubleshooter doesn't work lately.
>>
>> i click on it and nothing happens.
>>
>> is there any way to reset / reload it so as to make it work?
>>
>> thanks in advance,
>>
>> robert
>> (xp home sp2)

Robert,

If you're able to launch Help and Support directly from the folder (but not from Start Menu), see:

"Help and Support" link from Start Menu does not work:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/startmenuhelp.htm

This should also rectify the "Troubleshooter" button functionality in Device Manager.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"Robert J. Lafayette" <xyz1234@msn.invalid> wrote in message news:%23$xcJtWAFHA.2788@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> using xp home, sp2.
>
> thanks for asking.
>
> can not run 'help and support' from start menu.
>
> from "search"
>
> found several 'helpcrt.exe' in following three folders:
>
> 1- windows/ service packfiles\i386
> 2- windows/ software distribution\
> downloads-1-5-18\0915379b547e57fc174520805bc480\backup
>
> 3- windows/pchealth\healthctr\bianaries
>

> please help.
>
> robert

> Hi Robert,
>
> Are you able to run Helpctr.exe from Start/Run? (without typing
> helpctr.exe's full path)
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "Robert J. Lafayette" <xyz1234@msn.invalid> wrote in message
> in device manager i have a troubleshooter for certain devices..
>
> troubleshooter doesn't work lately.
>
> i click on it and nothing happens.
>
> is there any way to reset / reload it so as to make it work?
>
> thanks in advance,
>
> robert
> (xp home sp2)

thank you will try my best,

and report back

robert

Robert,

If you're able to launch Help and Support directly from the folder (but not
from Start Menu), see:

"Help and Support" link from Start Menu does not work:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/startmenuhelp.htm

This should also rectify the "Troubleshooter" button functionality in Device
Manager.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

"Robert J. Lafayette" <xyz1234@msn.invalid> wrote in message
> using xp home, sp2.
>
> thanks for asking.
>
> can not run 'help and support' from start menu.
>
> from "search"
>
> found several 'helpcrt.exe' in following three folders:
>
> 1- windows/ service packfiles\i386
> 2- windows/ software distribution\
> downloads-1-5-18\0915379b547e57fc174520805bc480\backup
>
> 3- windows/pchealth\healthctr\bianaries
>

> please help.
>
> robert

> Hi Robert,
>
> Are you able to run Helpctr.exe from Start/Run? (without typing
> helpctr.exe's full path)
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "Robert J. Lafayette" <xyz1234@msn.invalid> wrote in message
> in device manager i have a troubleshooter for certain devices..
>
> troubleshooter doesn't work lately.
>
> i click on it and nothing happens.
>
> is there any way to reset / reload it so as to make it work?
>
> thanks in advance,
>
> robert
> (xp home sp2)

i applied registry fix in 'run'
to regedit,

in windows and nothing happened.

again, excuse my being a dummy here.

the more detailed the help for me the better of i am.

i pretty much need the help and support portion of windows.

just a thought:
how about i reinstall some part of sp2?

robert

> thank you for your help.
>
> i am a real dummy here.
>
> all the help files are in the help folder in windows.
>
> some help things open when i click on the individual icon.
>
> i downloaded the registry fix (see attachment)
> but do not know how to apply it.
>
> please give me detailed instructions as to what to do with the 'fix'.
>
> i could not follow the instructions they seemed too complicated.
>
> thanks again
> robert

> Robert,
>
> If you're able to launch Help and Support directly from the folder (but
> not from Start Menu), see:
>
> "Help and Support" link from Start Menu does not work:
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/startmenuhelp.htm
>
> This should also rectify the "Troubleshooter" button functionality in
> Device Manager.
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "Robert J. Lafayette" <xyz1234@msn.invalid> wrote in message
>> using xp home, sp2.
>>
>> thanks for asking.
>>
>> can not run 'help and support' from start menu.
>>
>> from "search"
>>
>> found several 'helpcrt.exe' in following three folders:
>>
>> 1- windows/ service packfiles\i386
>> 2- windows/ software distribution\
>> downloads-1-5-18\0915379b547e57fc174520805bc480\backup
>>
>> 3- windows/pchealth\healthctr\bianaries
>>

>> please help.
>>
>> robert
>>

>> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote in message
>> Hi Robert,
>>
>> Are you able to run Helpctr.exe from Start/Run? (without typing
>> helpctr.exe's full path)
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP Shell/User
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "Robert J. Lafayette" <xyz1234@msn.invalid> wrote in message
>> in device manager i have a troubleshooter for certain devices..
>>
>> troubleshooter doesn't work lately.
>>
>> i click on it and nothing happens.
>>
>> is there any way to reset / reload it so as to make it work?
>>
>> thanks in advance,
>>
>> robert
>> (xp home sp2)

found this in help and support forum
posted november 9, 2004:

QUOTE
Ramesh [MVP]" wrote:

> See if these commands help:
> From Start, Run dialog:
>
> helpctr -regserver
> regsvr32 itss
> regsvr32 hhctrl.ocx
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
UNQUOTE

applying the three commands in sequence did the trick.

that is- restored my help and support.

and i can troubleshoot once again.

cheerio and all that,

robert

--
This e-mail contains privileged and confidential information intended only
for the use of the addressee(s) named above. If you are not the intended

Ramesh [MVP]" wrote:

> See if these commands help:
> From Start, Run dialog:
>
> helpctr -regserver
> regsvr32 itss
> regsvr32 hhctrl.ocx
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
UNQUOTE

applying the three commands in sequence did the trick.

that is- restored my help and support.

and i can troubleshoot once again.

cheerio and all that,

robert

Robert,

If you're able to launch Help and Support directly from the folder (but not
from Start Menu), see:

"Help and Support" link from Start Menu does not work:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/startmenuhelp.htm

This should also rectify the "Troubleshooter" button functionality in Device
Manager.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

"Robert J. Lafayette" <xyz1234@msn.invalid> wrote in message
> using xp home, sp2.
>
> thanks for asking.
>
> can not run 'help and support' from start menu.
>
> from "search"
>
> found several 'helpcrt.exe' in following three folders:
>
> 1- windows/ service packfiles\i386
> 2- windows/ software distribution\
> downloads-1-5-18\0915379b547e57fc174520805bc480\backup
>
> 3- windows/pchealth\healthctr\bianaries
>

> please help.
>
> robert

> Hi Robert,
>
> Are you able to run Helpctr.exe from Start/Run? (without typing
> helpctr.exe's full path)
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "Robert J. Lafayette" <xyz1234@msn.invalid> wrote in message
> in device manager i have a troubleshooter for certain devices..
>
> troubleshooter doesn't work lately.
>
> i click on it and nothing happens.
>
> is there any way to reset / reload it so as to make it work?
>
> thanks in advance,
>
> robert
> (xp home sp2)

Hi Robert,

Both the issues are resolved now?

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"Robert J. Lafayette" <xyz1234@msn.invalid> wrote in message news:%23ZPBujiAFHA.3988@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> found this in help and support forum
> posted november 9, 2004:
>
> QUOTE
> Ramesh [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> See if these commands help:
>> From Start, Run dialog:
>>
>> helpctr -regserver
>> regsvr32 itss
>> regsvr32 hhctrl.ocx
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP Shell/User
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
> UNQUOTE
>
> applying the three commands in sequence did the trick.

remesh,

yes, thank you.

the issues are resolved:

have 'help and support' from start menu,
and 'troubleshooter' in device manager.

yippee!

thank you again,
robert

Hi Robert,

Both the issues are resolved now?

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

"Robert J. Lafayette" <xyz1234@msn.invalid> wrote in message
> found this in help and support forum
> posted november 9, 2004:
>
> QUOTE
> Ramesh [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> See if these commands help:
>> From Start, Run dialog:
>>
>> helpctr -regserver
>> regsvr32 itss
>> regsvr32 hhctrl.ocx
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP Shell/User
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
> UNQUOTE
>
> applying the three commands in sequence did the trick.

Great! Thanks for the feedback Robert.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User