New Version of the 74GB Raptor is Very Nice Boost

halbhh

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
When I referenced hard drives as paramount for system performance, I mentioned the 150GB Raptor, which is a good buy even at $270 because the hard drive is what most of us usually are waiting on when we wait on our new computers to do something (except for video encoding, and even then the hard drive speed matters).

I mentioned the 150GB because the 74GB Raptor wasn't as fast as the 150GB. But....WD has updated it's 74GB actually, and for $150 you can have a very great addition to your performance computer.

20% faster reads than a Seagate 7200.10! And that's saying something.

Notice in this chart both versions of the 74GB Raptor -- old and new -- and how they bracket the Seagate 7200.10 on read.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/10/19/enterprise_storage_solutions_so..._integr

Comments welcome. This idea of hard drive as more important than which dual core isn't common, but it's correct.

I like diversity of opinion, and I don't take it personally.

---------------------------------------------------

Edit: This follow-up op is of course to the point I've made repeatedly here in the cpu forum, regarding cpus, that other than video encoding or benchmarking, few of us need more speed than an C2duo 6400, and that a C2d 6400 and Raptor combination is cheaper and *better* than a C2d 6600 and Caviar, for example.

So this post about system performance is all about making smarter choices for overall performance, and why the hard drive is more primary to that than the cpu in most scenarios. For this reason, it's a interesting or meaningful opinion that does belong in the cpu forum, where posters routinely advise on cpu choice, and complete configurations.

halbhh

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
:) Darned if I know. I put it first in the "homebuilt" forum, but I was following up here, because there is an issue as I see it -- which dual core to buy. And I said it matters less than which hard drive (!), and that provoked some discussion. :eek:

But if the hard drive boost is inexpensive (like $50 more than some ok drive), then it's a much more important point than the difference between a C2d 6400 and a AM2 5000.

so that's kind of a cpu issue in a way, to me at least.

People get build advice here, and it's not so good when it emphasizes a C2d 6600, and doesn't mention a Raptor, IMO.

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
Raptors are nice, if you need quick access to the HD.

I would rather spend the $150/250 on a larger capacity drive, than the speed it spins. If I had a choice between a 150GB Raptor and a 500GB Seagate/Maxtor/etc. HD for the same price...the 500GB would be my choice.

I play games, and I really don't wait that long for access times. But I need more space for video encoding/ripping/etc, than what a 150GB drive offers.

Again, this is my choice, and yes...this should be in the HD section.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
Raptors are nice, if you need quick access to the HD.

I would rather spend the $150/250 on a larger capacity drive, than the speed it spins. If I had a choice between a 150GB Raptor and a 500GB Seagate/Maxtor/etc. HD for the same price...the 500GB would be my choice.

I play games, and I really don't wait that long for access times. But I need more space for video encoding/ripping/etc, than what a 150GB drive offers.

Again, this is my choice, and yes...this should be in the HD section.

I agree Dante. And if I really wanted to get better HDD performance, Id go with a RAID array before Id spend cash on a single raptor.

And just like his overclocking post should have been in the overclocking section, you are all correct, this belongs in HDD section

halbhh

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
And just like his overclocking post should have been in the overclocking section, you are all correct, this belongs in HDD section

:) Thanks for the levity. It's a good one! What a perfect illustration of how the seperate areas blend together.

shinigamiX

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
:) Thanks for the levity. It's a good one! What a perfect illustration of how the seperate areas blend together.
What?

Valtiel

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2005
What?

Hahahaha, that's what came to my mind too.

I'm not quite sure why this is in the CPU section either. Last time I checked CPUs ≠ hard drives.

halbhh

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
lol....yah, overclocking and cpus should never be discussed in the same place, and niether should memory types, motherboards, etc. lol