Error when accessing shared drive - "\ is not accessible"

(The server the below relates to is Windows Server 2000 SP4)

Hi,

I have a rather odd problem with a restored shared folder. One of our
servers died last week and we had to rebuild it and restore the data.
Previously the root data folder was shared as "DATA". However, now that
share name does not work. If I browse to \\<server> the share does appear,
but if I double click it, I get an error saying it's not accessible. If I
give this same folder a different share name I can access it no problem.

Also, if I create a brand new folder and try and share that with the name
"DATA" I get the same problem. It would appear that somewhere in Windows it
has remembered the old share name and will now no longer let me use it.

Can anyone suggest any way to sort this out?

Thanks,

Curtis.

--
Please reply to news group only. Thank you.
6 answers Last reply

    Remove and recreate the share properties...

    "Curtis Fray" <xxx@xxx.com> wrote in message
    > (The server the below relates to is Windows Server 2000 SP4)
    >
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a rather odd problem with a restored shared folder. One of our
    > servers died last week and we had to rebuild it and restore the data.
    > Previously the root data folder was shared as "DATA". However, now that
    > share name does not work. If I browse to \\<server> the share does appear,
    > but if I double click it, I get an error saying it's not accessible. If I
    > give this same folder a different share name I can access it no problem.
    >
    > Also, if I create a brand new folder and try and share that with the name
    > "DATA" I get the same problem. It would appear that somewhere in Windows
    > it has remembered the old share name and will now no longer let me use it.
    >
    > Can anyone suggest any way to sort this out?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Curtis.
    >
    > --
    > Please reply to news group only. Thank you.

    Thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately that doesn't work.

    Curtis.

    > Thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately that doesn't work.
    >
    > Curtis.

    I found my folder shares in the registry (by search in RegHance):

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\lanmanserver\Shares

    And in the security folder below that.

    I have not tried anything (rather keep everything in working order) but, if
    it still exists there, perhaps you can delete that entry.

    Hi,

    Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately it hasn't resolved the issue.

    If I recreate a share with the name "DATA" it appears in the below key
    (although still doesn't allow anyone to access it!), and if I remove that
    share the key disappears (as you'd expect). It doesn't leave any rogue key.

    Still a mystery!

    Thanks again,

    Curtis.

    > Hi,
    >
    > Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately it hasn't resolved the issue.

    I did a google for "registry defrag" and found a few sites (172000).

    This one might give some more insight into the sore registry?

    http://www.abexo.com/registry-cleaner.htm

    "Curtis Fray" <xxx@xxx.com> wrote in

    > Hi,
    >
    > Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately it hasn't resolved the issue.

    This one?

    http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/PageDefrag.html

    Seems to be more transparent than the other one.

Servers Windows