System reboots whenever I change from one user to another?

January 22, 2005 5:03:02 PM

I have 2 accounts running on my XP machine (running with all current
updates). The computer automically reboot when I change from one use to the
other.

Not sure why. Help!
--
Tom
--

First off, you might want to take a look in Event Viewer to see
if there are any entries that apply to the shutdown. Go to

Next, go to Start -> Control Panel -> System. On the Advanced
page in the Startup and Recovery section select Settings. In the
System Failure section uncheck "Automatically restart". Hit OK
and switch users. You should get a blue screen with an error
message that could be helpful in solving your problem. Record the
error message and post back with the info.

You'll have to use the reset button to restart your computer.

Note: Once you get this corrected you should go back and
reset the"Automatically restart" option.

--
Nepatsfan
"Tom" <Tom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> I have 2 accounts running on my XP machine (running with all
> current
> updates). The computer automically reboot when I change from
> one use to the
> other.
>
> Not sure why. Help!
> --
> Tom
> --
> Tom
Anonymous
January 22, 2005 8:36:46 PM

Why would you want to set the Automatically restart option back?

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:ZZGdnddapsvmSG_cRVn-vw@comcast.com,
Nepatsfan <nepatsfan@SBXXXVIII.com> hunted and pecked:
> First off, you might want to take a look in Event Viewer to see
> if there are any entries that apply to the shutdown. Go to
> Start ->Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Event Viewer.
>
> Next, go to Start -> Control Panel -> System. On the Advanced
> page in the Startup and Recovery section select Settings. In the
> System Failure section uncheck "Automatically restart". Hit OK
> and switch users. You should get a blue screen with an error
> message that could be helpful in solving your problem. Record the
> error message and post back with the info.
>
> You'll have to use the reset button to restart your computer.
>
> Note: Once you get this corrected you should go back and
> reset the"Automatically restart" option.
>
> --
> Nepatsfan
> "Tom" <Tom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>> I have 2 accounts running on my XP machine (running with all
>> current
>> updates). The computer automically reboot when I change from
>> one use to the
>> other.
>>
>> Not sure why. Help!
>> --
>> Tom
>> --
>> Tom
January 22, 2005 10:47:14 PM

Force of habit, I guess. If the problem is hardware related,
there's always a chance that not shutting down the computer could
make the problem worse. Also, I believe that it's a good idea
whenever possible to leave the default settings in place. That
way if a problem occurs later on there are less variables that
would need to be considered when trying to figure out what went
wrong.

Besides,I figure that if some very smart people in Redmond,
Washington thought it was a good idea to have that be the default
setting then who am I to question their decision. Just kidding!

--
Nepatsfan
> Why would you want to set the Automatically restart option
> back?
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:ZZGdnddapsvmSG_cRVn-vw@comcast.com,
> Nepatsfan <nepatsfan@SBXXXVIII.com> hunted and pecked:
>> First off, you might want to take a look in Event Viewer to
>> see
>> if there are any entries that apply to the shutdown. Go to
>> Start ->Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Event Viewer.
>>
>> Next, go to Start -> Control Panel -> System. On the Advanced
>> page in the Startup and Recovery section select Settings. In
>> the
>> System Failure section uncheck "Automatically restart". Hit OK
>> and switch users. You should get a blue screen with an error
>> message that could be helpful in solving your problem. Record
>> the
>> error message and post back with the info.
>>
>> You'll have to use the reset button to restart your computer.
>>
>> Note: Once you get this corrected you should go back and
>> reset the"Automatically restart" option.
>>
>> --
>> Nepatsfan
>> "Tom" <Tom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> I have 2 accounts running on my XP machine (running with all
>>> current
>>> updates). The computer automically reboot when I change from
>>> one use to the
>>> other.
>>>
>>> Not sure why. Help!
>>> --
>>> Tom
>>> --
>>> Tom
Anonymous
January 22, 2005 10:47:15 PM

It is my understanding that if you have a hardware related problem it
doesn't matter how you have the Automatically restart option set. It's
gonna shutdown.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes