OUT OF RANGE MESSAGE

txsgrrl

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2006
I have a Pentium 4 I attempted to add a new sound card and some more memory. After doing so I now receive a message on booting up that says OUT OF RANGE hf: 30KHZ-70KHZ VF: 50khz-160khz CURRENT FREQUENCY HF: 27.9khz-VF:62hz .
Does anyone have a clue how to fix this? I am having trouble getting past this screen. I have tried F8, the escape key, F2 am having no luck getting into the startup menu... HELP!!!

Try shutting down the machine and move the soundcard to a different PCI slot.

If you had an onboard soundcard to start with, did you disable it in the CMOS setup first before adding the new soundcard?

If you didn't disable it first you may have to remove the PCI card, boot the machine, go into CMOS Setup and disable the onboard soundcard, save the change, reboot, shutdown and then reinstall the PCI soundcard.

AlaskaFox

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
Does this happen when windows tries to boot or as soon as the machine turns on? the problem sounds somewhat unrelated to the upgrades you did, I would put my $$ on the video card. check it to make sure it is still fully seated and the cable is solidly plugged in. if this fails, go ahead and try to relocate the sound card to a different slot. if it is doing it with windows only, press F* to go into safe mode and reset your video settings.

txsgrrl

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2006
This happens as soon as it tries to boot up. I cannot get it to go anywhere after that. F8 will not work nor will hitting the escape key... I am at a total loss. I wil try what you said and let you now ... THanks for your response