I believe the autoplay feature got corrupted. I don't know how and like to
know if there's a quick fix? When I right click on a CD Drive, and click
the Autoplay Tab, the content listing is there, but when I click on the
pictures content, it is empty, nothing to choose from. To make matters
worse this is what Autoplay used to open CD's, regardless of the content on
the CD. This happens to all users using the computer, so it's a universal
problem. On the Autoplay Tab, the restore Default has been done, to prompt
me each time. But it's not doing it.

Hope someone can help.

Hi Mark,

>> pictures content, it is empty, nothing to choose from

Click Start/Run and type these commands to restore missing handlers:

regsvr32 /i shell32.dll
regsvr32 actxprxy

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"MarkC" <None@nospam.com> wrote in message news:OUPjJzOAFHA.3016@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
I believe the autoplay feature got corrupted. I don't know how and like to
know if there's a quick fix? When I right click on a CD Drive, and click
the Autoplay Tab, the content listing is there, but when I click on the
pictures content, it is empty, nothing to choose from. To make matters
worse this is what Autoplay used to open CD's, regardless of the content on
the CD. This happens to all users using the computer, so it's a universal
problem. On the Autoplay Tab, the restore Default has been done, to prompt
me each time. But it's not doing it.

Hope someone can help.

Hi Ramesh:

Thanks for the help, I tried what you suggested. Unfortunately, it did not
correct the problem. I even re-started the computer, there is no content
under Pictures in AutoPlay, it's still blank. Don't know if it would make a
difference but I'm using the XP Professional.

I did it in two parts, that is, I entered - regsvr32 /i shell32.dll - click
OK, a message came up saying succeeded. I entered - regsvr32 actxprxy -
click OK and a message came up, saying succeeded.

I hope you have another idea/suggestion to try.

Mark

Hi Mark,

>> pictures content, it is empty, nothing to choose from

Click Start/Run and type these commands to restore missing handlers:

regsvr32 /i shell32.dll
regsvr32 actxprxy

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

"MarkC" <None@nospam.com> wrote in message
I believe the autoplay feature got corrupted. I don't know how and like to
know if there's a quick fix? When I right click on a CD Drive, and click
the Autoplay Tab, the content listing is there, but when I click on the
pictures content, it is empty, nothing to choose from. To make matters
worse this is what Autoplay used to open CD's, regardless of the content on
the CD. This happens to all users using the computer, so it's a universal
problem. On the Autoplay Tab, the restore Default has been done, to prompt
me each time. But it's not doing it.

Hope someone can help.

Hi Mark,

Is this happenning only to the "Pictures" event in the drop-down box?

Open Regedit and navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
\SOFTWARE
\Microsoft
\Windows
\CurrentVersion
\Explorer
\AutoplayHandlers
\EventHandlers
\ShowPicturesOnArrival

-and-

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
\SOFTWARE
\Microsoft
\Windows
\CurrentVersion
\Explorer
\AutoplayHandlers
\Handlers

Export each key to separate REG files and post them here.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"MarkC" <None@nospam.com> wrote in message news:eDomAARAFHA.1296@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
Hi Ramesh:

Thanks for the help, I tried what you suggested. Unfortunately, it did not
correct the problem. I even re-started the computer, there is no content
under Pictures in AutoPlay, it's still blank. Don't know if it would make a
difference but I'm using the XP Professional.

I did it in two parts, that is, I entered - regsvr32 /i shell32.dll - click
OK, a message came up saying succeeded. I entered - regsvr32 actxprxy -
click OK and a message came up, saying succeeded.

I hope you have another idea/suggestion to try.

Mark

Thanks, Mark. Now, I assume you have the backup REG files in a safer location.

Try this:

Under [EventHandlers\ShowPicturesOnArrival], delete the following items one at a time. Close and re-open the Autoplay tab and see if that fixes the problem. If that does not help, try deleting the next ones... close and re-open AutoPlay tab...and so forth. (This is a trial-and-error method)

-----------------------------------
"MSPictureItViewOnArrival"=""
"HPUnloadAutoplay"=""
"SonicRnCopyDisc"=""
"SonicRnBurnDataDisc"=""
"RoxioCapturePhotos"=""
"PhotoWorksEventHandler"=""
-----------------------------------

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"MarkC" <None@nospam.com> wrote in message news:emu$7jRAFHA.208@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
Yes, only the Pictures Content is blank. Plus, no matter what CD is
inserted; music or data (with no pictures), Autoplay always brings up
the empty Pictures Content screen.

Attached are the two exported reg files you asked (I changed the extension
to .txt so that others won't accidentally open it thus installing on there
computer's).

Thank You for looking into this, hope you find a solution.

Mark

You are Genius, it worked!!! The Pictures Content is back with a listing.
But wouldn't you know, it was the last one on the list, Photo Works... I
put the others back in. Wonderful! Thank You!!!

I just put a data disk in, with absolutely no pictures, Autoplay scanned the
disk, and it open the disk using the Pictures Content Screen. Why is that?
I put a music CD in, and Autoplay did open the disk using the Music Disk
Content Screen. Interesting.

Mark

PS: Thank You!!!

[...]

"PhotoWorksEventHandler" entry is probably causing this.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote in message news:uM2TzpRAFHA.2016@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
[...]

Great! Thanks for the feedback. As I suspected "PhotoWorksEventHandler" entry is the culprit. For the 2nd problem, I'm working on this right now, and shall post back later.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"MarkC" <None@nospam.com> wrote in message news:%23%23I9sNSAFHA.2012@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
You are Genius, it worked!!! The Pictures Content is back with a listing.
But wouldn't you know, it was the last one on the list, Photo Works... I
put the others back in. Wonderful! Thank You!!!

I just put a data disk in, with absolutely no pictures, Autoplay scanned the
disk, and it open the disk using the Pictures Content Screen. Why is that?
I put a music CD in, and Autoplay did open the disk using the Music Disk
Content Screen. Interesting.

Mark

PS: Thank You!!!

Thanks, Mark. Now, I assume you have the backup REG files in a safer
location.

CleanHanders v2.0 automates this task.
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/autoplayhandlers.htm

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

"MarkC" <None@nospam.com> wrote in message
> You are Genius, it worked!!! The Pictures Content is back with a listing.
> But wouldn't you know, it was the last one on the list, Photo Works... I
> put the others back in. Wonderful! Thank You!!!
>
> I just put a data disk in, with absolutely no pictures, Autoplay scanned
> the disk, and it open the disk using the Pictures Content Screen. Why is
> that? I put a music CD in, and Autoplay did open the disk using the Music
> Disk Content Screen. Interesting.
>
> Mark
>
> PS: Thank You!!!

> Thanks, Mark. Now, I assume you have the backup REG files in a safer
> location.
>
> Try this:
>
> Under [EventHandlers\ShowPicturesOnArrival], delete the following items
> one at a time. Close and re-open the Autoplay tab and see if that fixes
> the problem. If that does not help, try deleting the next ones... close
> and re-open AutoPlay tab...and so forth. (This is a trial-and-error
> method)
>
> -----------------------------------
> "MSPictureItViewOnArrival"=""
> "HPUnloadAutoplay"=""
> "SonicRnCopyDisc"=""
> "SonicRnBurnDataDisc"=""
> "RoxioCapturePhotos"=""
> "PhotoWorksEventHandler"=""
> -----------------------------------
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "MarkC" <None@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Yes, only the Pictures Content is blank. Plus, no matter what CD is
> inserted; music or data (with no pictures), Autoplay always brings up
> the empty Pictures Content screen.
>
> Attached are the two exported reg files you asked (I changed the extension
> to .txt so that others won't accidentally open it thus installing on there
> computer's).
>
> Thank You for looking into this, hope you find a solution.
>
> Mark

Thanks, I will check it out.