Athlon 64 X2 5200+

facedownwh

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
It says that this comes with a fan. I haven't purchased a standalone CPU in some time. Is the included fan enough for cooling purposes or should I pick up a Zalman fan with a heatsink or something?

evilr00t

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
It says that this comes with a fan. I haven't purchased a standalone CPU in some time. Is the included fan enough for cooling purposes or should I pick up a Zalman fan with a heatsink or something?

Hold on a second, why are you considering the 5200+?
Do you already have an AM2 setup, or are you building a new system?

The stock fan is merely "adequate", so of course getting an aftermarket cooler is a good idea.

facedownwh

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
Yeah, I'm looking to build a new system. Probably going with the Foxconn C51XEM2AA-8EKRS2H, the one that's the same as EVGA. The mobo that is.

facedownwh

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
Wow, that's a lot of great information man. I appreciate it. Yeah, I was looking at an E6600 too. I couldn't really find a motherboard I liked for it though. Would you recommend anything? I've just always had an AMD CPU, so I guess I'm somewhat reluctant to change or something. But, if the shoe fits, I might have to go with Intel.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
So if aftermarket, what would you guys recommend?

It is regardless of what CPU you buy, an after market HSF is always better. Intel's stock HSF really sucks, AMD's is better but aftermarket is top notch and does not add undue expense.

Artic cooling Freezer 7 is a great budget, high performance CPU cooler....

What EvilRoot and I are driving too -- at this point and time, a 5200+ is not the optimal price/performance. If you are willing to wait out the 'Stars' release cycle late next year, then there is a drop in upgrade path, but AM2 will retard some of the new features in forward looking AMD CPUs. I would look into getting an X2 3800+, and just OCing the heck out of it and waiting to see what pricing/release is going on mid Q1 or better yet --- if you are in no big hurry, simply wait out the release of AM2+ and get into an AMD system at that release point.

Intel is about to release the E4300, which will likely OC up to 5200+ type performance, and Intel drop prices in the Q2ish timeframe. You could get buy with a throwaway CPU now and mid 2007 upgrade to a much better AMD CPU and actually save money --- but it is a gamble. One thing is certain, AMD's price curve will drop some after the E4300 is released as this product will take away any competitive CPU AMD has to offer, they will need to lower prices again. If you wait just a couple of weeks, 20-50 bucks can be saved or put toward a higher grade MB.

Jack

And this is what I watch you for. The guy asked a simple question about a heatsink and you're telling him he can't buy that he has to buy Core 2.

Dude, just buy your original choice. You will not be lacking for speed.

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006

It is regardless of what CPU you buy, an after market HSF is always better. Intel's stock HSF really sucks, AMD's is better but aftermarket is top notch and does not add undue expense.

What EvilRoot and I are driving too -- at this point and time, a 5200+ is not the optimal price/performance. If you are willing to wait out the 'Stars' release cycle late next year, then there is a drop in upgrade path, but AM2 will retard some of the new features in forward looking AMD CPUs. I would look into getting an X2 3800+, and just OCing the heck out of it and waiting to see what pricing/release is going on mid Q1 or better yet --- if you are in no big hurry, simply wait out the release of AM2+ and get into an AMD system at that release point.

Intel is about to release the E4300, which will likely OC up to 5200+ type performance, and Intel drop prices in the Q2ish timeframe. You could get buy with a throwaway CPU now and mid 2007 upgrade to a much better AMD CPU and actually save money --- but it is a gamble. One thing is certain, AMD's price curve will drop some after the E4300 is released as this product will take away any competitive CPU AMD has to offer, they will need to lower prices again. If you wait just a couple of weeks, 20-50 bucks can be saved or put toward a higher grade MB.

Jack

And this is what I watch you for. The guy asked a simple question about a heatsink and you're telling him he can't buy that he has to buy Core 2.

Dude, just buy your original choice. You will not be lacking for speed.Nice way to spread the FUD. If you were working in the best interests of the customer, instead of the interests of AMD you'd recommend him the Intel processor as it's faster and priced the same or cheaper.

papi4baby

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2006

Jack

:lol: he even recomended a X2 3800, WTH are you talking about.

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
I wouldn't even worry about not having an AM2+ motherboard, I doubt the performance difference will be noticeable at all for anything less than a high-end quad-core.

evilr00t

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
FUD:

Sorry pal, you're trying to get away with putting words in somebody else's mouth, and I'm not going to let you.

In case you lack reading comprehension, Jack never told the OP to get C2D; he answered the OP's question, then gave some of his opinion on the issue after the OP replied to my question, and there's nothing wrong with that.

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002

Jack

You do like killing threads with your own crazy interpretation of people's posts, don't you?

Where did Jack even mention to not buy AMD and get a Core 2? Point it out, please, cause I didn't see it. I saw a great reply, with Jack even recommending that the OP go with the 3800+ since it's a better price/performer. Since you're so smart...why should the OP get the 5200+ over the 3800+?

You might think everyone is "sucking Intel's teat", but we can now see you're "sucking AMD's (insert whatever body part you want here)".

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
FUD:

Sorry pal, you're trying to get away with putting words in somebody else's mouth, and I'm not going to let you.

In case you lack reading comprehension, Jack never told the OP to get C2D; he answered the OP's question, then gave some of his opinion on the issue after the OP replied to my question, and there's nothing wrong with that.

This is what he said.

The person titled the post 5200+. He just asked if the retail HSF was good enough.

A simple yes or no would have been sufficient.

But I understand how you just can't stop.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Where did Jack even mention to not buy AMD and get a Core 2? Point it out, please, cause I didn't see it. I saw a great reply, with Jack even recommending that the OP go with the 3800+ since it's a better price/performer. Since you're so smart...why should the OP get the 5200+ over the 3800+?

Some people wan what they pay for. At stock there is no contest. 5200+ is faster. ExtremeTecth 5000+/E6600 review shows that there is little noticeable difference.

The 5200+ is an FX60 with faster RAM. You can't lose buying it. Period.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
By throw away I mean a cheaper 3800+ use it and abuse it for 6-9 months and go after something faster after it is released. That was my recommendation. I stick to it....

You are not very smart are you.

It was a yes or no question. Yes or no would have sufficed.

Mex

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2005
This is what he said.

JumpingJack did say that. Now, the OP did ask whether the provided heatsink would be enough - that question was answered by evilr00t:
The stock fan is merely "adequate", so of course getting an aftermarket cooler is a good idea.
At this point, the original question was answered, and the topic drifted to aftermarket coolers. Enter JumpingJack:

JumpingJack answered the OP's next question. ONLY THEN did he say:

All questions had been answered before JumpingJack inserted his opinion (People don't have to follow opinions, only consider them) into the debate. It is therefore wrong for you to accuse JumpingJack of derailing the topic. I don't want to get involved in this "blood feud" that you two have, but at the same time, don't make groundless accusations (That goes for JumpingJack too), and don't let innocent topics get dragged into the crossfire.

EDIT: JumpingJack beat me to it, three times he did. I expected that, oh yes I did...

busygamer01

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
What the fuck is wrong with people here! Stop convincing people into buying Intel. If the person decides to buy an AMD that's his choice. Stay on topic.

Yes I would recommend an aftermarket fan with a heatsink, preferably Zalman or Thermaltake. :D

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
But I understand how you just can't stop.

But I understand how you can't read entire replies for sh*t, either.

I would look into getting an X2 3800+, and just OCing the heck out of it and waiting to see what pricing/release is going on mid Q1 or better yet --- if you are in no big hurry, simply wait out the release of AM2+ and get into an AMD system at that release point.

Hey, what do you know? He recommended getting the 3800+ over the 5200+. What's wrong with that? I didn't see any mention of C2D or anything in there at all. Jack even went so far as to advising that if the OP can wait, to hold off till the AM2+ boards are available. Oh, my gosh! How could Jack recommend the C2D, but mention the AM2+?!?

Also, you quoted:
You could get buy with a throwaway CPU now and mid 2007 upgrade to a much better AMD CPU and actually save money

So? What does that have to do with anything? Getting the 5200+ at $289 vs. the 3800+ at $139 (newegg prices) is just that. Getting the 3800+ is a viable, and cheaper alternative than the 5200+, especially if the 3800+ can achieve the same performance via overclocking. The OP would save money, right? SO WHAT IS YOUR ARGUMENT?!?

Oh, gosh...
Some people wan what they pay for. At stock there is no contest. 5200+ is faster. ExtremeTecth 5000+/E6600 review shows that there is little noticeable difference.

But weren't you touting that if the CPU can run the SW, it's fast enough???
Please. You claim that ExtremeTech shows a review with little noticeable difference? In Sciencemark? But since you brought it up...here's their conclusion:
It's clear that Intel's Core 2 Duo lineup offers superior performance across the product line when compared with AMD's Athlon 64 X2. In some applications, even a lower-cost Core 2 Duo can outperform some of the higher-end Athlon 64 X2s.
Oh, and here's a page of gaming benchmarks from ET:
ExtremeTech Gaming Benchmarks
Looks more than a "little noticeable difference" to me.

I won't continue this farce you are trying to create. You are the only who seemingly continues to drag the AMD vs. Intel war.

To the OP. Get the 5200+ if you want, but I would take what was advised here under consideration. And good luck with your build.

r0ck

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2006

epsilon84

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2006

Really? http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1996946,00.asp

"When you consider all six games, the winner becomes abundantly clear. There's not a single game where the Core 2 Duo didn't deliver a higher average frame rate. Across all games, Intel's new CPU delivered a 16% higher frame rate. What is more important is that it spent a significantly smaller amount of time beneath our arbitrary thresholds for a really smooth and enjoyable gameplay experience. In fact, there are three games—half of our sample group!—where the Core 2 Duo essentially never dipped below the minimum threshold at all."

Seems like quite a 'noticeable' improvement to me. You either love distorting the truth or have serious reading comprehension issues. Maybe both.

Actually, you can. An E6600 is a 6000+ at 5200+ prices. You can't lose buying it. Period. :wink: [/quote]

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
What the **** is wrong with people here! Stop convincing people into buying Intel. If the person decides to buy an AMD that's his choice. Stay on topic.

Yes I would recommend an aftermarket fan with a heatsink, preferably Zalman or Thermaltake. :D

They're psychotic. The guy didn't ask for CPU opinions, did he? I'm done.

epsilon84

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2006
What the **** is wrong with people here! Stop convincing people into buying Intel. If the person decides to buy an AMD that's his choice. Stay on topic.

You know, it's funny how you never blew a gasket when someone asking about P-Ds was recommended an X2 instead.

Double standards? Hmmm... :lol:

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006

They're psychotic. The guy didn't ask for CPU opinions, did he? I'm done.For ever? Please......Promise!!

corvetteguy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Do what Jack said at the beginning, because its what i am doing. :wink:

Get a x2 3800 , or maybe even the EE version since they are the same price, check NCIX. Then i plan to upgare like in 2 years or less.

PS. I got an ASUS Crosshair motherboard. It is very expensive, and is very flashy with a screen and LED's, but its friggin sick. Thats my motherboard recomendation.

If you want to go intel ask other people, cuz they know better than me.

PSS. And don't listen to baron. 8)

He complains that people stop you from making a purchase mistake. Not that the 5200 is bad, its actually a pretty good deal, unless you want to overclock. But even then the 5000 is a better deal cuz the cache size doesn't matter. Anyway, enough ranting from everyone, this question is pretty much answered.

That means YOU BaronBS :p

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

You know, it's funny how you never blew a gasket when someone asking about P-Ds was recommended an X2 instead.

Double standards? Hmmm... :lol:

No I think I would have. I would never try to tell a person what to buy. There is nothing wrong with buying a chip to run at stock. The 5200+ costs more because it performs better.

If say CorvetteGirl was spending $200+ on a CrossHair why buy the cheapest CPU? It kinda defeats the purpose of saving on the CPU. For that matter DFI OCs as well or better and costs less.