Biostar MB/Sempron 64 3400+ CPU Not Posting- Please Help!

geepondy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2006
Greetings and thanks for the help!

I am assembling a computer system consisting of the following major components.
- Biostar NF4 4X-A7 Rev. 1.0 Motherboard
- AMD Sempron 64 3400+ processor w/HS and cooling fan
- 512M D400 Corsair 'Value Select' memory module VS512MB400
- WinFast PX360 TD Video Card
- Antec SP350 350W SmartPower power supply

The memory module and video card are installed.

When I push the 'on' button, the CPU cooling fan and chassis cooling fan start to spin up then immediatly shut off a second later, like the power supply is detecting a fault and shutting the system down. I can turn the rear chassis panel switch off for a couple seconds, then on and repeat the above with the same results.
The only connections to the motherboard is the 20-pin power connector from the power supply, the 4-pin 12V connector from the power supply, the CPU cooling fan, the chipset cooling fan (these were both unplugged from the MB with the same results), and the power switch.

I have removed/reseated the CPU with the same results. I have swapped out the memory module with a known good module (of different but compatible speed) with the same results.
All components are new.

Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated. Thank you.

chocobocorey

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
first, flash the BIOS using the jumpers on the board. also, make sure that the jumper is in the right spot when booting up. there should be a row of 3 pins, the jumper will cover two. refer to the instruction manual that it is on the right two for booting up, not resetting the BIOS, after you flash it.

is there any beeps at all? ive had beeps before, and it is fixed by getting dust out of the memory socket and pushing the memory in firmly, and also getting dust out of graphics slot and reinserting card. what kind of card did you say you are using?

if that all doesnt work, try using a different power supply. i set up a 754 solution before and had trouble getting it to boot, until a while of pushing things in tighter and such. hopefully a bios flash will get you on track.

geepondy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2006
FYI, I originally posted this for a friend. The problem ended up being a bad Antec power supply. Upon reading user reviews, unless I'm only reading the bad apples, it seems Antec power supplies been quite troublesome lately. I have a tried and true one in an older system that's been running fine for five or six years now but based on my friend's experience and the user reviews I've read, I'll stay away from them in the future.

chocobocorey

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
ive used a few antecs over the past several years and have had no problems. i have heard bad things about their neo power series and their modular stuff though.