My landlord has a webcam on the living room

Tags:
  • Webcams
  • Video
  • MSN Messenger
  • Peripherals
Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
August 12, 2005 6:56:50 AM

My landlord has a webcam on the living room. I don't spend time at
living room. But walks around all the time. During the day, the PC
is on all the time. MSN Messenger is loaded and minimized as an icon
on the task bar by default when the PC starts. I don't know if he's
watching from his office. The usual video screen when doing video
conferencing isn't present. Go by what I describe, could the video be
on? Can people watch video without having the video screen up?

It's his home, he has the right to do anything he wants. But I would
feel terrible too if someone's watching me, Especially when they don't
tell me that they are monitoring the room.

More about : landlord webcam living room

Anonymous
August 12, 2005 7:12:32 AM

"web" <web@cam.com> wrote in message news:ne3of1hhlkmju9n27fedsutd4lfrv2pkrf@4ax.com...
> My landlord has a webcam on the living room. I don't spend time at
> living room. But walks around all the time. During the day, the PC
> is on all the time. MSN Messenger is loaded and minimized as an icon
> on the task bar by default when the PC starts. I don't know if he's
> watching from his office. The usual video screen when doing video
> conferencing isn't present. Go by what I describe, could the video be
> on?

Yes.

> Can people watch video without having the video screen up?

Yes.

> It's his home, he has the right to do anything he wants. But I would
> feel terrible too if someone's watching me, Especially when they don't
> tell me that they are monitoring the room.

Put a piece of opaque tape over the lens of the webcam and
see what reaction you get.

-- Bob Day
http://bobday.vze.com
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 2:28:46 PM

If you're really desparate, when he's not there, sneak up on the
camera from behind and drop it in a jug of water for 30 seconds and
see if that helps :)

Adam
www.amcam.net

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 03:12:32 GMT, "Bob Day" <xxxxxx@yyyyyy.com> wrote:

>"web" <web@cam.com> wrote in message news:ne3of1hhlkmju9n27fedsutd4lfrv2pkrf@4ax.com...
>> My landlord has a webcam on the living room. I don't spend time at
>> living room. But walks around all the time. During the day, the PC
>> is on all the time. MSN Messenger is loaded and minimized as an icon
>> on the task bar by default when the PC starts. I don't know if he's
>> watching from his office. The usual video screen when doing video
>> conferencing isn't present. Go by what I describe, could the video be
>> on?
>
>Yes.
>
>> Can people watch video without having the video screen up?
>
>Yes.
>

>> It's his home, he has the right to do anything he wants. But I would
>> feel terrible too if someone's watching me, Especially when they don't
>> tell me that they are monitoring the room.
>
>Put a piece of opaque tape over the lens of the webcam and
>see what reaction you get.
>
>-- Bob Day
>http://bobday.vze.com
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 5:42:16 PM

"web" <web@cam.com> wrote in message

> It's his home, he has the right to do anything he wants. But I would
> feel terrible too if someone's watching me, Especially when they don't
> tell me that they are monitoring the room.

Yes, it's his home, but that sort of thing invalidates your privacy.

Just talk to him, see what he have to say about it. Maybe there are nothing
to worry about.

--

- Tony Sutton
- http://www.hyperboard.co.uk - The Biggest Message Board!

Tony Sutton <Tony@hypertony.co.ukNOSPAM> wrote:

> "web" <web@cam.com> wrote in message
>>
>> It's his home, he has the right to do anything he wants. But I would
>> feel terrible too if someone's watching me, Especially when they
>> don't tell me that they are monitoring the room.

Assuming you're just renting a room in the same house as your landlord, as
opposed to him pointing a cam into your living room from next door? His
house, his rules. Deal with it or move out.

> Yes, it's his home, but that sort of thing invalidates your privacy.

Disagree. If there were a cam in the OP's ROOM you'd have a valid argument
because that would be a "private" area of the house that's being paid for by
the OP. And since there is obviously no effort being made on the landlord's
part to conceal the fact that there's a cam in a "community" room within his
own home? I see no problem with it.

> Just talk to him, see what he have to say about it. Maybe there are
> nothing to worry about.

I'd be really careful about how I brought the subject up though. Especially
since it seems the landlord is already the suspicious type. If a tenent
asked me why I had a cam in my own living room (I don't), I'd wonder why he
or she cared .... if ya catch my drift.
August 12, 2005 10:55:04 PM

FYI

It is very reasonable to discuss your privacy and security in this day and
age.

If the LL is the covert type, I can't imagine they would admit anything.

Obscuring the camera view could cause trouble with someone who practices
covert behavior.They might know, right away, someone was deliberatly
blocking the view.

I do not mean to alarm you, but, You might also concider that; tiny cams can
be hidden in clocks and fire alarms and other normal household objects.

If you are feeling funny about being watched, I would imagine this came from
other feelings you have about the LL; trust your intuition and find other
friends to live with.

best regards

"web" <web@cam.com> wrote in message
> My landlord has a webcam on the living room. I don't spend time at
> living room. But walks around all the time. During the day, the PC
> is on all the time. MSN Messenger is loaded and minimized as an icon
> on the task bar by default when the PC starts. I don't know if he's
> watching from his office. The usual video screen when doing video
> conferencing isn't present. Go by what I describe, could the video be
> on? Can people watch video without having the video screen up?
>
> It's his home, he has the right to do anything he wants. But I would
> feel terrible too if someone's watching me, Especially when they don't
> tell me that they are monitoring the room.
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 12:53:25 AM

whats the problem?

the op clearly stated the webcam worked in another application so this tells
me the webcam wasnt left on...

doesnt that say the webcam was mereley there for another use...

if some software was in place for snooping i think yu wud know about it as
the webcam wouldnot be available....
sounds like you making this into a drama

regards slayer
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 1:12:42 PM

z <rmwbsee@hotmail.com> wrote:
> FYI
>
> It is very reasonable to discuss your privacy and security in this
> day and age.

But there does not appear to be a privacy or security issue in play here.
The cam is in the LIVING ROOM.

> If the LL is the covert type, I can't imagine they would admit
> anything.

If the LL was "the covert type" he wouldn't have a cam in plain sight
ANYWHERE. Least of all, in the LIVING ROOM.

> Obscuring the camera view could cause trouble with someone who
> practices covert behavior.They might know, right away, someone was
> deliberatly blocking the view.

Covert - Covert - Covert. Why do you keep using the word covert? Are you
paranoid, or do you not know the definition of the word? Please explain
what's "covert" about having a camera in PLAIN SIGHT in a LIVING ROOM? And
why would anyone want to obscure the view of a camera that's in a LIVING
ROOM, anyway? What could any rational person possibly be doing in a LIVING
ROOM that they would feel the need to hide? Sitting and reading? Watching
TV? Just passin' through? I got news for ya ... If I had a LL (I don't)
and he or she wanted to bore themself to tears by watching me read or watch
TV ... I say let 'em have at it.

The OP doesn't even know if the cam is active for heaven's sake. And
whether it is or not ... It's probably only there for security purposes. It
sounds to me as though the OP rents a room in someone's home, but has the
run of the house to use the LIVING ROOM, kitchen, laundry, etc. IF that's
the case, maybe the LL has had problems with theft by other tenents in the
past. Whatever. Bottom line is that it's the LL's house, and if he wants
to put cameras in EVERY stinkin' room, he can. Just as long as he leaves
them in plain sight, and/or makes any tenent(s) aware that they are there, I
see no problem with it. Would I personally move into, or stay in a
situation like that? No. That would be a little too creepy for me, but
under the aforementioned conditions there would be nothing "covert" or
illegal about it. At least not where I live.

> I do not mean to alarm you, but, You might also concider that; tiny
> cams can be hidden in clocks and fire alarms and other normal
> household objects.

Now THAT would be covert. But do you really think if the LL wanted to do
anything untoward like plant hidden mini-cams all over the place, that he'd
be stupid enough to put that thought in people's heads by leaving one cam in
plain sight ... In the LIVING ROOM? Think about it. If you walked into
someone's home intent on renting a room and saw a cam in their living room,
wouldn't your first thought and question be, "Where else are they?" Mine
would.

> If you are feeling funny about being watched, I would imagine this
> came from other feelings you have about the LL; trust your intuition
> and find other friends to live with.

Now you're making sense. And remember ....

Treat every gun as if it's loaded, and every cam as if it's on. :-)

> "web" <web@cam.com> wrote in message
>> My landlord has a webcam on the living room. I don't spend time at
>> living room. But walks around all the time. During the day, the PC
>> is on all the time. MSN Messenger is loaded and minimized as an icon
>> on the task bar by default when the PC starts. I don't know if he's
>> watching from his office. The usual video screen when doing video
>> conferencing isn't present. Go by what I describe, could the video
>> be on? Can people watch video without having the video screen up?
>>
>> It's his home, he has the right to do anything he wants. But I would
>> feel terrible too if someone's watching me, Especially when they
>> don't tell me that they are monitoring the room.
August 14, 2005 5:19:59 AM

re: Observer ? ... Sarcasto-schmidt!

>Are you paranoid, or do you not know the definition of the word? Please
>explain what's "covert" about having a camera in PLAIN SIGHT in a LIVING
>ROOM?

Obviously, Even to the most unskilled Obsever;
The previously specified hidden monitoring software would be the covert
item.

> But there does not appear to be a privacy or security issue in play here.
> The cam is in the LIVING ROOM.

Beyond what I personally consider to be reasonable individual privacy [and
security in possession of said privacy];
Reference parallel privacy law in which Paparazzi are liable for violation
of reasonable individual privacy in PUBLIC PLACES .
Violation of reasonable individual privacy is "relative" whether the
individual is in a PARK, BATHROOM or LIVINGROOM.
The distinct tort of intentional [and negligent infliction of] emotional
distress, as well as the related tort of outrage, are also invoked by
plaintiffs in place of, or in addition to, the traditional privacy torts.
Though standards vary from state to state, plaintiffs must generally prove
extreme and outrageous conduct, causing the plaintiff to suffer severe
emotional damage as a result.

I will cast no more pearls...

"Observer" <Observer@none.invalid> wrote in message
> [...]
>> and find other friends to live with.
>
> Now you're making sense. And remember ....
>
> Treat every gun as if it's loaded, and every cam as if it's on. :-)
>

>> "web" <web@cam.com> wrote in message
>>> My landlord has a webcam on the living room. I don't spend time at
>>> living room. But walks around all the time. During the day, the PC
>>> is on all the time. MSN Messenger is loaded and minimized as an icon
>>> on the task bar by default when the PC starts. I don't know if he's
>>> watching from his office. The usual video screen when doing video
>>> conferencing isn't present. Go by what I describe, could the video
>>> be on? Can people watch video without having the video screen up?
>>>
>>> It's his home, he has the right to do anything he wants. But I would
>>> feel terrible too if someone's watching me, Especially when they
>>> don't tell me that they are monitoring the room.

August 16, 2005 12:11:59 PM

"z" <rmwbsee@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> re: Observer ? ... Sarcasto-schmidt!
>
>>Are you paranoid, or do you not know the definition of the word? Please
>>explain what's "covert" about having a camera in PLAIN SIGHT in a LIVING
>>ROOM?

>> But there does not appear to be a privacy or security issue in play here.
>> The cam is in the LIVING ROOM.
>>>
>>> If the LL is the covert type, I can't imagine they would admit
>>> anything.
>>
>> If the LL was "the covert type" he wouldn't have a cam in plain sight
>> ANYWHERE. Least of all, in the LIVING ROOM.

I would say liberate yourself and run around naked and see what happens !
August 17, 2005 12:51:18 AM

Paulinho wrote:
> "z" <rmwbsee@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> re: Observer ? ... Sarcasto-schmidt!
>>
>>> Are you paranoid, or do you not know the definition of the word? Please
>>> explain what's "covert" about having a camera in PLAIN SIGHT
>>> in a LIVING ROOM?

>>> But there does not appear to be a privacy or security issue in play
>>> here. The cam is in the LIVING ROOM.

>>> If the LL was "the covert type" he wouldn't have a cam in plain
>>> sight ANYWHERE. Least of all, in the LIVING ROOM.
>>>>

> I would say liberate yourself and run around naked and see what
> happens !

Ya, but first post the IP of the system to this group and make sure all
firewalls are turned off for safety purposes.
Anonymous
August 20, 2005 2:42:15 PM

In article <dds74a$8n5$1@nwrdmz02.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com>,
"Paulinho" <senninha1@(sad).btinternet.com> wrote:

> "z" <rmwbsee@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > re: Observer ? ... Sarcasto-schmidt!
> >
> >>Are you paranoid, or do you not know the definition of the word? Please
> >>explain what's "covert" about having a camera in PLAIN SIGHT in a LIVING
> >>ROOM?

> >> But there does not appear to be a privacy or security issue in play here.
> >> The cam is in the LIVING ROOM.

> >> If the LL was "the covert type" he wouldn't have a cam in plain sight
> >> ANYWHERE. Least of all, in the LIVING ROOM.
> >>>

> I would say liberate yourself and run around naked and see what happens !

You know, I have to chime in here. If you're concerned about people
seeing you on his webcam, then I recommend you never leave the house
because people will be able to see you live and in person. You're also
going to be watched on camera when you go to the bank, the convenience
store, are walking outside of some buildings, and even in some parks.
People are watching, what's the big deal? If you can't deal with it,
get yourself a burka. But even then, they'll be able to see your eyes,
and might be able to tell when you're picking your nose.

I just don't get why some people have a problem being watched on a
camera. What the hell are you doing that you should feel guilty or
ashamed about?
!