How to recognize bitlocker disk in ubuntu

erkin

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011
How can I recognize in ubuntu, locked disk (by bitlocker win7 x64). I lost bitlocker code, morover I lost my windows too. Recently I could'nt install win 7, it asks me bitlocker code. I wanted to copy all my data using ubuntu (it is in bootable USB flash), but ubuntu doesn't show this disk.

What you suggest me?

Thanks in advance.

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
you can reformat the disk and then you can use it again but you will lose all your data

these programs are desiged so that you cant break the encryption

the only way to make sure this dosnt happen is to either only encrypt your data

or write your password down and keep it in a safe place e.g. like a safe

or if you want to be super secure only write down the partial info

(bit locker is windows own encryption program as well as being **** it is probably locked to windows, you would have been better off using truecrypt as it works on all os's (linux,mac and windows)

erkin

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011
Thanks a lot. I will try to use windows home premium in order to be able to read the disk. Then will copy all necessary data and format that disk. Never will use bitlocker again!!! :)

You won't be able to read that disk unless you created a backup of your key. If you encrypt a disk/files, you can't read them without the correct key. There are no real issues with using encryption, but you need to understand what it is and how it works before using it.

erkin

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011
Thanks a lot mates.

The problem was solved using another laptop with windows enterp. which has bitlocker function. We just plugged hard disk and unlocked bitlocked disk. Fortunately, I didn't forgot password.

So, in future if you would like to use bitlocker, please, don't forget save recovery file or just simply don't use it. :)

In my case I will never use it!

TRENDING THREADS