3com Homeconnect & Messenger...

I'm having trouble running a 3com homeconnect cam with MSN Messenger 7.0 on
Win XP

I have installed Vista Imaging's multicam drivers, and the cam works fine
with all other apps that I have tried it with.

With messenger, I go into cam settings, and it produces the cam image. After
clicking the Close button, I can't use the cam: If I go back in it says that
the cam is being used by another application.
If I try to just go ahead and start a vidoconference, the cam image is lost
after a second.

The only way to get access to the cam again is to unload messenger - This
frees up the cam resources.

Does anyone have any experience with this combination? Did someone get
ths to work? If so, what drivers did you use?
5 answers Last reply
More about 3com homeconnect messenger

    On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 09:42:43 -0400, "Bruno"
    <2005b@TimesOnThe.Net> wrote:

    >I'm having trouble running a 3com homeconnect cam with MSN Messenger 7.0 on
    >Win XP
    >
    >I have installed Vista Imaging's multicam drivers, and the cam works fine
    >with all other apps that I have tried it with.
    >
    >With messenger, I go into cam settings, and it produces the cam image. After
    >clicking the Close button, I can't use the cam: If I go back in it says that
    >the cam is being used by another application.
    >If I try to just go ahead and start a vidoconference, the cam image is lost
    >after a second.
    >
    >The only way to get access to the cam again is to unload messenger - This
    >frees up the cam resources.
    >
    >Does anyone have any experience with this combination? Did someone get
    >ths to work? If so, what drivers did you use?

    For messenger issues, check the below group. Lots of post there.

    microsoft.public.msn.messenger

    Thanks, I posted it there as well yesterday. No useful replies though...

    "Si Ballenger" <shb*NO*SPAM*@comporium.net> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 09:42:43 -0400, "Bruno"
    > <2005b@TimesOnThe.Net> wrote:
    >
    >>I'm having trouble running a 3com homeconnect cam with MSN Messenger 7.0
    >>on
    >>Win XP
    >>
    >>I have installed Vista Imaging's multicam drivers, and the cam works fine
    >>with all other apps that I have tried it with.
    >>
    >>With messenger, I go into cam settings, and it produces the cam image.
    >>After
    >>clicking the Close button, I can't use the cam: If I go back in it says
    >>that
    >>the cam is being used by another application.
    >>If I try to just go ahead and start a vidoconference, the cam image is
    >>lost
    >>after a second.
    >>
    >>The only way to get access to the cam again is to unload messenger - This
    >>frees up the cam resources.
    >>
    >>Does anyone have any experience with this combination? Did someone get
    >>ths to work? If so, what drivers did you use?
    >
    > For messenger issues, check the below group. Lots of post there.
    >
    > microsoft.public.msn.messenger

    Bruno says...

    > I'm having trouble running a 3com homeconnect cam with
    > MSN Messenger 7.0 on Win XP

    > I have installed Vista Imaging's multicam drivers, and
    > the cam works fine with all other apps that I have tried
    > it with.

    > With messenger, I go into cam settings, and it produces
    > the cam image. After clicking the Close button, I can't
    > use the cam: If I go back in it says that the cam is
    > being used by another application. If I try to just go
    > ahead and start a vidoconference, the cam image is lost
    > after a second.

    > The only way to get access to the cam again is to unload
    > messenger - This frees up the cam resources.

    > Does anyone have any experience with this combination?
    > Did someone get ths to work? If so, what drivers did
    > you use?

    Did you find an answer for this? I don't use MSN, or XP,
    but just wondered if there is a solution. In case I ever
    need it.

    If not, you may want to try another driver for this cam.
    Look at the Watchport/V at:

    http://www.ionetworks.com
    http://www.ionetworks.com/support/epdrivers.jsp#WPV

    It's the same camera, and the driver for it may be better
    for XP than the Vista, because IONetworks is still making
    the cam. Well, I think the current model is the
    Watchport/V2, but the support for your cam is still there.

    Just an idea. Let us know what you find.

    Hey Bruno!

    I have the same camera as you (3Com Home Connect 3718) and have
    the exact same issue! I find that you get ONE use of the cam in a
    video conference with MSN Messenger 7.5 Once you disconnect from it
    and try to start another session you're hooped! The only solution is
    to reboot and then you have one more session.

    I've tried both Vicam's 6858 drivers, as well as Inside Out
    Networks iucam220.exe drivers. Both will make the camera work ONCE
    with MSN Messenger 7.5 but after you quit that session, the only
    thing that will make it work again is a reboot.

    This problem does not seem to happen with NetMeeting. In other
    words I can start and stop the camera in different sesssions of
    NetMeeting with no problem but not with MSN Messenger 7.5 Also once
    the camera has stopped working in MSN Messenger 7.5 it won't fire up
    in NetMeeting anymore until a reboot.

    So this leads me to think it's a MSN Messenger 7.5 issue. If you
    find a solution I'd be grateful to hear from you, or anyone else.
    Thanks and good luck!!
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

    I'm having the same problem, but I solved it by restarting MSN
    messenger every time after I used the camera. Then the camera starts
    working again. It only happens on Windows XP and with MSN messenger
    only. On windows 2000 with MSN 7.0 it works fine. Looks like some XP
    and/or vista imaging drivers related issue.

Webcams 3Com Messenger Peripherals