question about symantec client security

jpov83

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
i recently just got a ibm T60, it came with the symantec client security

-symantec corp antivirus
and
-norton firewall

the first thing i did was try to uninstall this from the add/remove programs, but that failed. it wouldnt uninstall for some reason...

so i looked up how to manually delete/uninstall this from symantec

everything worked out.

and yes i do have windows firewall on, and allowed the ports for that program getting the dht firewalled message... and yes i have tried to run it without the windows firewall and still get the same message. just in case those questions pop up

i have no other firewall or antivirus installed on this system

just plain windows xp

MY QUESTION is: if i uninstalled/deleted norton firewall would the settings on that program still affect the system, like port blocking more specifically.

i only ask this since i seem to get dht firewalled message on some of my programs...

im using wireless, and my router has its firewall setting off

any information regarding this would be appreciated.

thankyou

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
I'm glad to see you uninstalled it. But since Symantic replaces some of windows file with its own. It causes problems. I would be tempted to do a install then uninstall to see if it is capable of cleaning up behind it.

I have no faith in Symantic any more since a def file the released was bad and they wouldn't admit it. But 3 days later on a sunday a update came through. Would not even acknowledge I existed. So I removed it from 20 computers and no longer recomend them. With a losses growing every day.

I had several machines I had to do a clean install to correct what it messed up.

mikeyp410

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
There is also a free software tool called CCLeaner that you can use to uninstall and get rid of leftover crap. Its a nice freeware.