FSX benchmarked?

miahallen

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2002
Has anyone seen how FSX plays on different GFX cards? I'm ready to upgrade my GFX, but the primary reason is for FSX, and I'm not sure what has the power to run it nicely at 1920x1080 (with all eye candy of course). Will one 8800GTS handle it? Anybody with any personal experiance? Thanks.

quartzlock

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2006
Well, the SLI thing depends on why you need/want that res. Im not sure if SLI will work in multimonitor unless you are planning to use FSX in only one monitor(not recomendable :) ). It gets pretty crowded as soon as you start to open extra views, gps, radios, panels ,atc, name it.
At the other hand, I've experienced in my own system, that the processor has more influence on the whole experience than how extreme your video card is, at least until fsx gets DX10 patch/upgrade I think. Ive been able to get acceptable frame rates with a cheapo graphics card by setting all the quality settings to the max but disabling the autogen scenery.

miahallen

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2002
Well, the SLI thing depends on why you need/want that res. Im not sure if SLI will work in multimonitor unless you are planning to use FSX in only one monitor(not recomendable :) ). It gets pretty crowded as soon as you start to open extra views, gps, radios, panels ,atc, name it.
At the other hand, I've experienced in my own system, that the processor has more influence on the whole experience than how extreme your video card is, at least until fsx gets DX10 patch/upgrade I think. Ive been able to get acceptable frame rates with a cheapo graphics card by setting all the quality settings to the max but disabling the autogen scenery.

Well, I'm working with an opty 165 @ 2.7GHz, no I have decent proccessing power. It's running on an ASRock 939Dual-SATA2 mobo. This is the one that supports both an AGP as well as a PCIe slot. Right now I have my trusty old Radeon 9700Pro in the AGP slot, and it's running my Viewsonic P95F+ 19" CRT (in FSX @ 600x800). But I just ordered a new screen, the Westinghouse 37" LCD, native resolution in 1920x1080. I need a single graphics card capable of pushing all the pixels in this display. I'm planning to use my current GFX card and monitor as my secondary display (for the extra views etc...).

I'm NOT concerned about extreme frame rates, THIS IS NOT A FIRST PERSON SHOOTER. 25-30fps average is fine in a flight sim. I do want to get a DX10 GPU, but I'm wondering if the 8800GTS has the power for this resolution? Or, is the 8800GTS MORE than enough??? Can I get away with waiting for more "mainstream" DX10 parts from nVidia (supposedly coming out Q1 07)? I don't want to pay for a $400 GFX card if I don't have to. I'm not a huge gamer. But I am a pilot who wants a great home simulation experiance.

r0x0r

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
If you can wait for a few months then that's probably your best bet so that more DX10 parts come in, making them cheaper, and FSX will have more patches and user content for it as well.

Apparently DX10 won't be available on XP; is that a problem for you?

At 2560x1600 you're going to want dual card, especially with FSX.

No1sFanboy

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
Has anyone seen how FSX plays on different GFX cards?

Yes I have.

I installed FSX a month ago on my opty 175@2.4 matched with an 850xt. The game runs crap as soon as you add extra buildings and trees. The video card stays cool and the processor is 100% usage on 1 core. It would seem as though the game is all processor and not utilizing the GPU with DX9.

I'm now two weeks into an e6600 with an 8800GTX. I was again disappointed with my FSX performance. Clocking up the memory and processor has helped but again the processor is pegged on one core and the GPU is sitting cool (under worked).

Currently I'm at about 20FPS at 1680x1050 with decent mid to high settings. The e6600 @2996 and the 8800gtx at stock.

FSX being so new and a hardware killer should have been multithreaded. I'm willing to wait and see with regards to DX10. Until the FSX is on DX10 there is no clear answer to your question.

Blacken

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2004
I agree with both of those guys. Your gonna want some anti-alaising on such a big monitor, a bit more power than the GTS imo. Though for 30fps, a GTS would probably cut it. I'd wait for ATI's release cause it just may drive G80 prices down.

Blacken

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2004
Don't mean to thread-jack.

I'm now two weeks into an e6600 with an 8800GTX. I was again disappointed with my FSX performance. Clocking up the memory and processor has helped but again the processor is pegged on one core and the GPU is sitting cool (under worked).

Currently I'm at about 20FPS at 1680x1050 with decent mid to high settings. The e6600 @2996 and the 8800gtx at stock.

Yea, I'd say the game is far from optimized. Got a E6600 / 7900GS - flying is great, 45 - 50fps, fly among the poor looking buildings and cars and your at 20. Makes you wonder if microsoft didn't build this game for a benchmark.

miahallen

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2002
Has anyone seen how FSX plays on different GFX cards?

Yes I have.

I installed FSX a month ago on my opty 175@2.4 matched with an 850xt. The game runs crap as soon as you add extra buildings and trees. The video card stays cool and the processor is 100% usage on 1 core. It would seem as though the game is all processor and not utilizing the GPU with DX9.

FSX being so new and a hardware killer should have been multithreaded. I'm willing to wait and see with regards to DX10. Until the FSX is on DX10 there is no clear answer to your question.

Thanks for the reply guys, I wonder if MS is planning an SMP patch for the game. From what you're saying, I sure hope so. And, I think I'll take your advice and wait for more DX10 cards to hit the market. Thanks!

TRENDING THREADS