Monitoring Metrixs

Hello:

I am in the process of implementing some detailed monitoring on my network.
I remember seeing some documents which detailed particular values to
monitor. The things I need to monitor are:

Active Directory
DNS
WINS
Operating System (disks, memory, processor,etc...)

Does anyone know of any good TechNet articles which details this? Thanks.

Harrison Midkiff

Hi Harrison,

I would like to list the following articles for your reference:

Monitoring Performance in Active Directory
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/
en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/en
-us/distrib/dsbm_mon_hfvf.asp

Chapter 27 - Overview of Performance Monitoring
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/2000/professional/r
eskit/en-us/part6/proch27.mspx

You can extend the left pane to choose chapter 28 to 30, which discuss the
common counters in Performance monitor.

The following article addressed DNS DHCP counters in performance montor,
please right clcik the left pane to extend the counter you are interested
and you will see the detailed expaination. For example, you can click DNS
object and you will see the explanation in the right pane:

Counters by Object
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/counter/cou
nters1_jxpr.asp

The following articles addressed win2k3 server, however, I believe it is
worth to take a look:

Performance monitoring How To...
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/library/Serve
rHelp/e3f1be32-7283-477c-8431-d4daaa05956b.mspx

Hope it helps!

--------------------
>From: "Harrison Midkiff" <HMidkiff@aviinc.com>
>Subject: Monitoring Metrixs
>Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 08:55:18 -0400
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.general
>
>Hello:
>
>I am in the process of implementing some detailed monitoring on my
network.
>I remember seeing some documents which detailed particular values to
>monitor. The things I need to monitor are:
>
>Active Directory
>DNS
>WINS
>Operating System (disks, memory, processor,etc...)
>
>Does anyone know of any good TechNet articles which details this? Thanks.
>
>Harrison Midkiff

Best regards,

Rebecca Chen

MCSE2000 MCDBA CCNA