Best CPU Cooler for a Dual Core?

kempie

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2006
I am about to build a new PC, I've decided to go for a dual core E6700 and an EVGA 680i Motherboard, but wasn't sure which would be the best CPU cooler for my to get.

Zalman 9700 looks good, but seems a bit pricey compared to the competition.
I was also looking at the Tunic Tower 120, and the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 looks excellent value, but i'm not sure which is the best.

Your thoughts please?

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
I am about to build a new PC, I've decided to go for a dual core E6700 and an EVGA 680i Motherboard, but wasn't sure which would be the best CPU cooler for my to get.

Zalman 9700 looks good, but seems a bit pricey compared to the competition.
I was also looking at the Tunic Tower 120, and the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 looks excellent value, but i'm not sure which is the best.

Your thoughts please?

From experience i would go with the 9700 as i've had many products from Zalman in the past and they've always been very good quality!

I have a 9500 on my D930 and it's clocked at 4ghz no problems!

forumtroll

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2006
If you ask the experts here which is best most are going to recommend the Tunic Tower 120. There are many high-end air coolers which are very similar in their cooling performance, though. (Like the 9700 you listed... and the Typhoon VX I'm using.) Most will likely deliver what you need.

I'm not sure about the Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro, but I believe it is on similar ground with the Cooler Master Hyper TX... which is a cooler I used prior to my Typhoon. It was far superior to stock, but wasn't delivering good enough cooling for significant overclocking.

As a side note: if you're not doing any overclocking the stock cooler is more than capable of doing the job (and is pretty quiet while doing it.) If you're going to be overclocking and you're not worried about the extra $s, go for the Tunic Tower. :)

Bulldog75

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2006
Should probably mention that I'm going with the nzxt zero case and will be o/c

one thing you are gonna want to keep in mind is that the tuniq tower has gotten rave reviews, but every one of them said how HUGE it was, with the case you are using, you are gonna have to measure your space between those four side panel fans and where your cooler will sit; almost every review I saw said that it will barely fit, IF AT ALL, with a side mount fan on the case. Also, I have heard of a few marks against the zalman because the fan is not shrouded, so you have to be careful that none of the fins will catch the blade, or you are screwed.

My money on my new build will be on the tuniq, but I don't have that side fan to contend with. Good luck.

kempie

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2006
Should probably mention that I'm going with the nzxt zero case and will be o/c

one thing you are gonna want to keep in mind is that the tuniq tower has gotten rave reviews, but every one of them said how HUGE it was, with the case you are using, you are gonna have to measure your space between those four side panel fans and where your cooler will sit; almost every review I saw said that it will barely fit, IF AT ALL, with a side mount fan on the case. Also, I have heard of a few marks against the zalman because the fan is not shrouded, so you have to be careful that none of the fins will catch the blade, or you are screwed.

My money on my new build will be on the tuniq, but I don't have that side fan to contend with. Good luck.

Think I might wait until I've got my case and can measure the space before I order a CPU cooler then. Can always remove two of the side fans I suppose as 4 is a bit excessive.

n8dogg

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
Well I got a 9700 and 6600 oc'd to 3.52 vcore 1.33 and I never get over 44 c under full load :) and its a new build and the temps seem to be dropping as the as5 cures so..... ya how much better do you want than that?

milnyckyj

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006
I just got a thermaltake big typhoon for about $45. Its cheaper, quieter and more efficient than the zalman, has good clearance for ram and comes with a fan unlike the thermalright ones. I'm running my 6400 at 28c/35c at stock speeds. Don't have overclock temps yet. Temps recorded with TAT, AS-5 and 21c room temp.

n8dogg

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
ya well wait till you get some OC'ing in that thing it will be a big difference. The zalman at first was 25 idle and 35 load in stock settings until i got my mitts on it haha