HELP!! spoolsv.exe taking 100% CPU!

Hi,

Just starting today, I noticed that my PC started acting very sluggish.
I was doing some checking, and Task Manager shows that "spoolsv.exe" is
taking like 100% of the CPU all the time.

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this, and how to fix the
problem? I've tried to kill the process in Task Manager, but got denied
:(.

Thanks,
Jim

ohaya wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Just starting today, I noticed that my PC started acting very sluggish.
>I was doing some checking, and Task Manager shows that "spoolsv.exe" is
>taking like 100% of the CPU all the time.
>
>Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this, and how to fix the
>problem? I've tried to kill the process in Task Manager, but got denied
:mad:.

>Thanks,
>Jim

numerous virus/trojan/worms masquerade in the form of this file and
other system files.

Run AVAST!, SpybotSD, and Ad-Aware, scanning on a weekly basis to stop such things.

Get them here:
AVAST! http://www.avast.com/
Ad-Aware http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
SpybotSD http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html

--
A sufficiently advanced computer network protective attitude is indistinguishable from paranoia.

Quaestor wrote:

> ohaya wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >Just starting today, I noticed that my PC started acting very sluggish.
> >I was doing some checking, and Task Manager shows that "spoolsv.exe" is
> >taking like 100% of the CPU all the time.
> >
> >Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this, and how to fix the
> >problem? I've tried to kill the process in Task Manager, but got denied
> :mad:.
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Jim
> >

> numerous virus/trojan/worms masquerade in the form of this file and
> other system files.
>
> Run AVAST!, SpybotSD, and Ad-Aware, scanning on a weekly basis to stop such things.
>
> Get them here:
> AVAST! http://www.avast.com/
> Ad-Aware http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
> SpybotSD http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html

Quaestor,

Believe me, I had tried all of that before posting :)..

Ok, in case anyone runs across this problem, I was able to solve it!

After doing some research, I checked, and found a document stuck in my
printer queue (double-click on the printer to see this). I deleted the
document from the queue and rebooted, and now everything is back to
normal again.

Jim

ohaya fumbled, fiddled and fingered:

> Quaestor wrote:
>>
>> ohaya wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Just starting today, I noticed that my PC started acting very
>>> sluggish. I was doing some checking, and Task Manager shows that
>>> "spoolsv.exe" is taking like 100% of the CPU all the time.
>>>
>>> Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this, and how to
>>> fix the problem? I've tried to kill the process in Task Manager,
>>> but got denied :(.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Jim
>>>

>> numerous virus/trojan/worms masquerade in the form of this file and
>> other system files.
>>
>> Run AVAST!, SpybotSD, and Ad-Aware, scanning on a weekly basis to
>> stop such things.
>>
>> Get them here:
>> AVAST! http://www.avast.com/
>> Ad-Aware http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
>> SpybotSD http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html
>>

> Quaestor,
>
> Believe me, I had tried all of that before posting :)..
>
> Ok, in case anyone runs across this problem, I was able to solve it!
>
> After doing some research, I checked, and found a document stuck in my
> printer queue (double-click on the printer to see this). I deleted
> the document from the queue and rebooted, and now everything is back
> to normal again.
>
> Jim

If it happens again before rebooting from a CMD prompt try doing a
net stop spooler
net start spooler

--
Steve Parry BA (Hons) MCP MVP

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
http://www.gwynfryn.co.uk

> If it happens again before rebooting from a CMD prompt try doing a
> net stop spooler
> net start spooler

Steve,

Thanks! I've always wondered about that... been rebooting whenever I
cancelled a document :).

Jim

ohaya wrote:

> > If it happens again before rebooting from a CMD prompt try doing a
> > net stop spooler
> > net start spooler
>
> Steve,
>
> Thanks! I've always wondered about that... been rebooting whenever I
> cancelled a document :).
>
> Jim

P.S. Could I have done that from the Windows Services applet also?

"ohaya" <ohaya@cox.net> wrote in message

> ohaya wrote:
>>

>> > If it happens again before rebooting from a CMD prompt try doing a
>> > net stop spooler
>> > net start spooler
>>
>> Steve,
>>
>> Thanks! I've always wondered about that... been rebooting whenever I
>> cancelled a document :).
>>
>> Jim
>

> P.S. Could I have done that from the Windows Services applet also?

yes

--

>> If it happens again before rebooting from a CMD prompt try doing a
>> net stop spooler
>> net start spooler
>

> Steve,
>
> Thanks! I've always wondered about that... been rebooting whenever I
> cancelled a document :).
>
> Jim

You're welcome, glad to have helped