WinXP idle mode - permanent HD access?

issue:
permanently HD use/access during idle mode!
How can I switch off this?

- no application task is running
- is seems, that WinXp uses HD permanently during idle mode
- my config: WinXP, SP2

Any idea? Who can help?

Robert

Hi Robert,

This might be due to Indexing Service being turned ON. Other than that, get Process Explorer and FileMon from Sysinternals.com to inspect the running processes, and disk write accesses respectively.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"Robert Ehrlich" <rehrlich@web.de> wrote in message news:ct0444$joi$05$1@news.t-online.com...
issue:
permanently HD use/access during idle mode!
How can I switch off this?

- no application task is running
- is seems, that WinXp uses HD permanently during idle mode
- my config: WinXP, SP2

Any idea? Who can help?

Robert

many thanks.

I have installed the process explorer to see what is going on during idle
mode.
And I have seen that DEFRAG was working!!!

Is there any SW switch to turn off this function?

Robert

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@online.mvps.org> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Hi Robert,

This might be due to Indexing Service being turned ON. Other than that, get
Process Explorer and FileMon from Sysinternals.com to inspect the running
processes, and disk write accesses respectively.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

"Robert Ehrlich" <rehrlich@web.de> wrote in message
issue:
permanently HD use/access during idle mode!
How can I switch off this?

- no application task is running
- is seems, that WinXp uses HD permanently during idle mode
- my config: WinXP, SP2

Any idea? Who can help?

Robert

That is a useful program to have running. I would let it alone. It will
finish at some point.

> many thanks.
>
> I have installed the process explorer to see what is going on during idle
> mode.
> And I have seen that DEFRAG was working!!!
>
> Is there any SW switch to turn off this function?
>

> Robert
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@online.mvps.org> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Hi Robert,
>
> This might be due to Indexing Service being turned ON. Other than that,
> get Process Explorer and FileMon from Sysinternals.com to inspect the
> running processes, and disk write accesses respectively.
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "Robert Ehrlich" <rehrlich@web.de> wrote in message
> issue:
> permanently HD use/access during idle mode!
> How can I switch off this?
>
> - no application task is running
> - is seems, that WinXp uses HD permanently during idle mode
> - my config: WinXP, SP2
>
> Any idea? Who can help?
>

> Robert

There are probably other processes at work (they don't have to be open
applications) - i.e. a virus scan in the background, defragging hard drive
etc etc.

MS Office has a thing called "FastFind" that indexes documents or something
to make them open faster in Word etc.

This causes a lot of disk activity, even if the system seems idle.

Normally it shows in MS Config, so if you don't need it, disable it in ms
config, and in the Office application. (Sorry I forget how).

"Robert Ehrlich" <rehrlich@web.de> wrote in message
> issue:
> permanently HD use/access during idle mode!
> How can I switch off this?
>
> - no application task is running
> - is seems, that WinXp uses HD permanently during idle mode
> - my config: WinXP, SP2
>
> Any idea? Who can help?
>

> Robert

It might be that defrag is scheduled for a certain time - check System
Scheduler