Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Win2000 won't update or install drivers

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
June 11, 2005 1:52:07 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

Hi

I have done a search but been unable to come up with an answer. Any help
offered would be really appreciated.

I am having problems updating windows and installing drivers.

It is a Dell running:

win2000 professional
5.00.2195
Service Pack 4


The initial problem was with the machine disconnecting from the internet
and rebooting every 15 mins or so.

I converted the file system from fat32 to ntfs and run chdsk.

computer is now no longer automatically rebooting every 15 mins.


On closer inspection I found:

bloodhound.w32.ep
backdoor.ranky
w32.spybot.worm

plus qhosts virus

(all I hope now fixed)



I have followed the recommendations at
http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407 with the exception
of the Symantec security check which will not run.

When I run HiJackthis I get this error message (hijackthis log file below):

******************
An unexpected error has occurred at procedure:
modRegistry_IniGetString(sFile=system.ini, sSection=boot, sValue=Shell)
Error #53 - File not found

Please email me at merijn@spywareinfo.com, reporting the following:
* What you were trying to fix when the error occurred, if applicable
* How you can reproduce the error
* A complete HijackThis scan log, if possible

Windows version: Windows NT 5.00.2195
MSIE version: 6.0.2800.1106
HijackThis version: 1.99.1

******************


I have replaced c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\hosts with a file from:

http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

and it is read only.

I have uninstalled microsoft java and installed sun java.

I have installed windows installer 3.0


The HiJackthis logfile is:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 22:37:05, on 10/06/2005
Platform: Windows 2000 SP4 (WinNT 5.00.2195)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINNT\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\services.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\pssvc.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\regsvc.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\MSTask.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Hardware\Mouse\point32.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\jusched.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\internat.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasDtServ.exe
C:\WINNT\notepad.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Worrall L\Desktop\tools\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe
C:\WINNT\notepad.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page =
http://www.google.co.uk/advanced_search?hl=en
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page =
http://www.google.co.uk/advanced_search?hl=en
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title =
Microsoft Internet Explorer provided by Virgin.net
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
Settings,ProxyOverride = 127.0.0.1
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} -
C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} -
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} -
C:\WINNT\System32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6}
- C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Synchronization Manager] mobsync.exe /logon
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE
C:\WINNT\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadQM] "loadqm.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [POINTER] point32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft Windows System Kernel Initializer] SysInt32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft Explorer] msl.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SSC_UserPrompt] C:\Program Files\Common
Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\UsrPrmpt.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec
Shared\ccApp.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccRegVfy] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec
Shared\ccRegVfy.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program
Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor]
C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe /Consumer
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [gcasServ] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft
AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Microsoft Windows System Kernel Initializer]
SysInt32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Microsoft Explorer] msl.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [MicrosoftAntiSpywareCleaner] C:\Program
Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcASCleaner.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [internat.exe] "internat.exe"
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} -
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\npjpi150_02.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console -
{08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program
Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\npjpi150_02.dll
O9 - Extra button: Create Mobile Favorite -
{2EAF5BB1-070F-11D3-9307-00C04FAE2D4F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\INetRepl.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {2EAF5BB2-070F-11D3-9307-00C04FAE2D4F} -
C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\INetRepl.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Create Mobile Favorite... -
{2EAF5BB2-070F-11D3-9307-00C04FAE2D4F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\INetRepl.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {85d1f590-48f4-11d9-9669-0800200c9a66} -
%windir%\bdoscandel.exe (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Uninstall BitDefender Online Scanner v8 -
{85d1f590-48f4-11d9-9669-0800200c9a66} - %windir%\bdoscandel.exe (file
missing)
O16 - DPF: {01A88BB1-1174-41EC-ACCB-963509EAE56B} (SysProWmi Class) -
http://support.dell.com/systemprofiler/SysPro.CAB
O16 - DPF: {5D86DDB5-BDF9-441B-9E9E-D4730F4EE499} (BDSCANONLINE Control)
- http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/oscan8.cab
O16 - DPF: {644E432F-49D3-41A1-8DD5-E099162EEEC5} (Symantec RuFSI
Utility Class) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/...n/bin/cabsa.cab
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) -
http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/...all/xscan53.cab
O16 - DPF: {9522B3FB-7A2B-4646-8AF6-36E7F593073C} -
http://a19.g.akamai.net/7/19/7125/4...23/cpbrkpie.cab
O16 - DPF: {A3009861-330C-4E10-822B-39D16EC8829D} (CRAVOnline Object) -
http://www.ravantivirus.com/scan/ravonline.cab
O16 - DPF: {BB21F850-63F4-4EC9-BF9D-565BD30C9AE9} (ASquaredScanForm
Element) - http://www.windowsecurity.com/trojanscan/axscan.cab
O17 -
HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{212AB0C7-AC16-40D8-A54A-7A0C2AC5666F}:
NameServer = 192.168.254.254
O17 -
HKLM\System\CS1\Services\Tcpip\..\{212AB0C7-AC16-40D8-A54A-7A0C2AC5666F}:
NameServer = 192.168.254.254
O17 -
HKLM\System\CS2\Services\Tcpip\..\{212AB0C7-AC16-40D8-A54A-7A0C2AC5666F}:
NameServer = 192.168.254.254
O23 - Service: AutoShutdown - Dell Computer Corporation -
C:\WINNT\system32\pssvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation
- C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation Service (ccPwdSvc) -
Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec
Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service (dmadmin) -
VERITAS Software Corp. - C:\WINNT\System32\dmadmin.exe
O23 - Service: DameWare NT Utilities 2.6 (DNTUS26) - DameWare
Development - C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\DNTUS26.EXE
O23 - Service: DameWare Mini Remote Control (DWMRCS) - DameWare
Development LLC - C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\DWRCS.EXE
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto Protect Service (navapsvc) -
Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA
Corporation - C:\WINNT\system32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: ScriptBlocking Service (SBService) - Symantec Corporation
- C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec
Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: SymWMI Service (SymWSC) - Symantec Corporation -
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe

Many thanks

Tendril
June 11, 2005 6:13:14 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

Installing drivers, from where?
I sincerely hope not from winupdate!
So what problems do you get?

"Tendril" <tendril@shotgunsandwich.net> wrote in message
news:42aaa6ad$0$24452$da0feed9@news.zen.co.uk...
> Hi
>
> I have done a search but been unable to come up with an answer. Any help
> offered would be really appreciated.
>
> I am having problems updating windows and installing drivers.
>
> It is a Dell running:
>
> win2000 professional
> 5.00.2195
> Service Pack 4
>
>
> The initial problem was with the machine disconnecting from the internet
> and rebooting every 15 mins or so.
>
> I converted the file system from fat32 to ntfs and run chdsk.
>
> computer is now no longer automatically rebooting every 15 mins.
>
>
> On closer inspection I found:
>
> bloodhound.w32.ep
> backdoor.ranky
> w32.spybot.worm
>
> plus qhosts virus
>
> (all I hope now fixed)
>
>
>
> I have followed the recommendations at
> http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407 with the exception
> of the Symantec security check which will not run.
>
> When I run HiJackthis I get this error message (hijackthis log file
below):
>
> ******************
> An unexpected error has occurred at procedure:
> modRegistry_IniGetString(sFile=system.ini, sSection=boot, sValue=Shell)
> Error #53 - File not found
>
> Please email me at merijn@spywareinfo.com, reporting the following:
> * What you were trying to fix when the error occurred, if applicable
> * How you can reproduce the error
> * A complete HijackThis scan log, if possible
>
> Windows version: Windows NT 5.00.2195
> MSIE version: 6.0.2800.1106
> HijackThis version: 1.99.1
>
> ******************
>
>
> I have replaced c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\hosts with a file from:
>
> http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
>
> and it is read only.
>
> I have uninstalled microsoft java and installed sun java.
>
> I have installed windows installer 3.0
>
>
> The HiJackthis logfile is:
>
> Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
> Scan saved at 22:37:05, on 10/06/2005
> Platform: Windows 2000 SP4 (WinNT 5.00.2195)
> MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)
>
> Running processes:
> C:\WINNT\System32\smss.exe
> C:\WINNT\system32\winlogon.exe
> C:\WINNT\system32\services.exe
> C:\WINNT\system32\lsass.exe
> C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
> C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
> C:\WINNT\system32\spoolsv.exe
> C:\WINNT\system32\pssvc.exe
> C:\WINNT\System32\svchost.exe
> C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
> C:\WINNT\system32\nvsvc32.exe
> C:\WINNT\system32\regsvc.exe
> C:\WINNT\system32\MSTask.exe
> C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
> C:\WINNT\Explorer.EXE
> C:\Program Files\Microsoft Hardware\Mouse\point32.exe
> C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
> C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\jusched.exe
> C:\WINNT\system32\internat.exe
> C:\WINNT\system32\wuauclt.exe
> C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasDtServ.exe
> C:\WINNT\notepad.exe
> C:\Documents and Settings\Worrall
L\Desktop\tools\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe
> C:\WINNT\notepad.exe
>
> R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page =
> http://www.google.co.uk/advanced_search?hl=en
> R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page =
> http://www.google.co.uk/advanced_search?hl=en
> R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title =
> Microsoft Internet Explorer provided by Virgin.net
> R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
> Settings,ProxyOverride = 127.0.0.1
> O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} -
> C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
> O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} -
> C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
> O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} -
> C:\WINNT\System32\msdxm.ocx
> O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6}
> - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
> O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Synchronization Manager] mobsync.exe /logon
> O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE
> C:\WINNT\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
> O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadQM] "loadqm.exe"
> O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
> O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [POINTER] point32.exe
> O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft Windows System Kernel Initializer]
SysInt32.exe
> O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft Explorer] msl.exe
> O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SSC_UserPrompt] C:\Program Files\Common
> Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\UsrPrmpt.exe
> O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec
> Shared\ccApp.exe
> O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccRegVfy] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec
> Shared\ccRegVfy.exe
> O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program
> Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\jusched.exe
> O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor]
> C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe /Consumer
> O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [gcasServ] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft
> AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe"
> O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Microsoft Windows System Kernel Initializer]
> SysInt32.exe
> O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Microsoft Explorer] msl.exe
> O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [MicrosoftAntiSpywareCleaner] C:\Program
> Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcASCleaner.exe
> O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [internat.exe] "internat.exe"
> O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} -
> C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\npjpi150_02.dll
> O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console -
> {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program
> Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\npjpi150_02.dll
> O9 - Extra button: Create Mobile Favorite -
> {2EAF5BB1-070F-11D3-9307-00C04FAE2D4F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\INetRepl.dll
> O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {2EAF5BB2-070F-11D3-9307-00C04FAE2D4F} -
> C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\INetRepl.dll
> O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Create Mobile Favorite... -
> {2EAF5BB2-070F-11D3-9307-00C04FAE2D4F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\INetRepl.dll
> O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {85d1f590-48f4-11d9-9669-0800200c9a66} -
> %windir%\bdoscandel.exe (file missing)
> O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Uninstall BitDefender Online Scanner v8 -
> {85d1f590-48f4-11d9-9669-0800200c9a66} - %windir%\bdoscandel.exe (file
> missing)
> O16 - DPF: {01A88BB1-1174-41EC-ACCB-963509EAE56B} (SysProWmi Class) -
> http://support.dell.com/systemprofiler/SysPro.CAB
> O16 - DPF: {5D86DDB5-BDF9-441B-9E9E-D4730F4EE499} (BDSCANONLINE Control)
> - http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/oscan8.cab
> O16 - DPF: {644E432F-49D3-41A1-8DD5-E099162EEEC5} (Symantec RuFSI
> Utility Class) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/...n/bin/cabsa.cab
> O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) -
> http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/...all/xscan53.cab
> O16 - DPF: {9522B3FB-7A2B-4646-8AF6-36E7F593073C} -
> http://a19.g.akamai.net/7/19/7125/4...23/cpbrkpie.cab
> O16 - DPF: {A3009861-330C-4E10-822B-39D16EC8829D} (CRAVOnline Object) -
> http://www.ravantivirus.com/scan/ravonline.cab
> O16 - DPF: {BB21F850-63F4-4EC9-BF9D-565BD30C9AE9} (ASquaredScanForm
> Element) - http://www.windowsecurity.com/trojanscan/axscan.cab
> O17 -
> HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{212AB0C7-AC16-40D8-A54A-7A0C2AC5666F}:
> NameServer = 192.168.254.254
> O17 -
> HKLM\System\CS1\Services\Tcpip\..\{212AB0C7-AC16-40D8-A54A-7A0C2AC5666F}:
> NameServer = 192.168.254.254
> O17 -
> HKLM\System\CS2\Services\Tcpip\..\{212AB0C7-AC16-40D8-A54A-7A0C2AC5666F}:
> NameServer = 192.168.254.254
> O23 - Service: AutoShutdown - Dell Computer Corporation -
> C:\WINNT\system32\pssvc.exe
> O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation
> - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
> O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation Service (ccPwdSvc) -
> Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec
> Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
> O23 - Service: Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service (dmadmin) -
> VERITAS Software Corp. - C:\WINNT\System32\dmadmin.exe
> O23 - Service: DameWare NT Utilities 2.6 (DNTUS26) - DameWare
> Development - C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\DNTUS26.EXE
> O23 - Service: DameWare Mini Remote Control (DWMRCS) - DameWare
> Development LLC - C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\DWRCS.EXE
> O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto Protect Service (navapsvc) -
> Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
> O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA
> Corporation - C:\WINNT\system32\nvsvc32.exe
> O23 - Service: ScriptBlocking Service (SBService) - Symantec Corporation
> - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe
> O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec
> Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
> O23 - Service: SymWMI Service (SymWSC) - Symantec Corporation -
> C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe
>
> Many thanks
>
> Tendril
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
June 11, 2005 7:31:46 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

DL wrote:
> Installing drivers, from where?
> I sincerely hope not from winupdate!
> So what problems do you get?
>

The driver is for a BT issue USB dsl modem.

The computer was infected with

bloodhound.w32.ep
> backdoor.ranky
> w32.spybot.worm
>
> plus qhosts virus
>
> (all I hope now fixed)

My initial post details the problems but it seems to come down to a copy
error (Windows cannot copy file xxx) for installing drivers. This is
exactly the same problem I have with windows update.

Cheers

Tendril
Related resources
June 12, 2005 4:02:00 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

Try deleting all tmp files, In internet settings, delete all cookies/temp
files
Install Msconfig http://www.perfectdrivers.com/howto/msconfig.html
Disable all startups
Run winupdate again.
Do NOT use winudate drivers
You can also try online scan at www.kaspersky.com

"Tendril" <tendril@shotgunsandwich.net> wrote in message
news:42aaf6f1$0$22622$da0feed9@news.zen.co.uk...
> DL wrote:
> > Installing drivers, from where?
> > I sincerely hope not from winupdate!
> > So what problems do you get?
> >
>
> The driver is for a BT issue USB dsl modem.
>
> The computer was infected with
>
> bloodhound.w32.ep
> > backdoor.ranky
> > w32.spybot.worm
> >
> > plus qhosts virus
> >
> > (all I hope now fixed)
>
> My initial post details the problems but it seems to come down to a copy
> error (Windows cannot copy file xxx) for installing drivers. This is
> exactly the same problem I have with windows update.
>
> Cheers
>
> Tendril
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
June 13, 2005 8:54:31 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

DL wrote:
> Try deleting all tmp files, In internet settings, delete all cookies/temp
> files
> Install Msconfig http://www.perfectdrivers.com/howto/msconfig.html
> Disable all startups
> Run winupdate again.
> Do NOT use winudate drivers
> You can also try online scan at www.kaspersky.com

will try your suggestions as soon as I can get the machine to boot.

It won't detect IDE drives now!
!