Sign in with
Your question

X1950pro AGP Hits Newegg

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 31, 2006 3:36:55 PM

Here it his ladies and gentlemen, the last AGP card hopefully to hit the market. And surely not the worst either:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

What is strange is that for the power connector, you dont use a AGP bracket but instead a molex connector(is that what its called? Or am I wrong?)
a b U Graphics card
December 31, 2006 7:33:55 PM

No it still draws power from the agp slot.
But the agp slot can not supply all the power it needs. so you also have to hook it up to a molex connertor.
January 1, 2007 12:13:44 AM

2 molex connectors to be exact. Strange....
Related resources
January 1, 2007 12:20:13 AM

Newegg isnt much cheaper then best buy, you can get an AGP 1950pro for $300 there, the PCI version is the same price.

The race to 1000 posts begins EnforcerFX.
January 1, 2007 12:23:51 AM

They should lay off AGP already.
January 1, 2007 1:07:21 AM

So it is, and as of now Im winning :D 
January 1, 2007 3:29:06 PM

Not strange. IIRC, first bunch of AGP GeForce 6800 Ultras needed 2 molex power connectors.
January 2, 2007 1:44:16 AM

http://www.visiontek.com/products/cards/retail/x1950pro...

Damn, a 80nm ATi AGP card, Dreams/Fantasies do come true.
I would have never imagined ATI(DAAMIT) would keep AGP alive. a 1950Pro. Damn This is quite unexpected. What other ATI, AMD/DAAMIT surprises, K8L beats Core 2 Quad? R600 and level505 hold true to their benchmarks?? 2007 Should come to be a truly Surprising and suspense filled year in the AMD camp
January 2, 2007 6:17:55 PM

Just curious, will be my 2.6C Northwood o/c to 3.1 be CPU limited if I go for this card? currently running a 6800LE.
January 2, 2007 7:07:07 PM

I received my Sapphire X1950 Pro 512MB card the other day and the performance increase from a FX5700 ultra is mind blowing.

Only down side to the upgrade is that i needed to buy a new power supply that had more than 30A on the 12v rail.

FX57000 Ultra 3DMARK 05 score = 823
X1950 Pro 3DMARK 05 score = 7431

Double check your power supply 12v rail to verify at least 30A
January 2, 2007 7:11:07 PM

as long as there is agp boards out there they will still make topline agp cards.

x1950pro agp / x1950pro pci e run games equally.

? is when is the 8800s agp comin out.

xp is a 32bit os, pci e cannot be anyfaster becuz of this.
January 2, 2007 7:31:47 PM

I think its great. If nothing else it helps extend the life of some machines. You can always use it as a gaming rig for when friends are over, let them have the AGP machine :) 

Maybe I'm blind or they took the 1950Pro AGP listing off newegg before I saw this thread but I see no AGP cards in this flavor on newegg, sigh.

At least if it was listed briefly it means they're about to get a shipment or something soon. Will probably get one, shrug.
January 2, 2007 8:03:42 PM

Quote:
I received my Sapphire X1950 Pro 512MB card the other day and the performance increase from a FX5700 ultra is mind blowing.

Only down side to the upgrade is that i needed to buy a new power supply that had more than 30A on the 12v rail.

FX57000 Ultra 3DMARK 05 score = 823
X1950 Pro 3DMARK 05 score = 7431

Double check your power supply 12v rail to verify at least 30A

My buddy has a 1950 Pro PCIe on an E6400. Stock he ran ~9500 3DMark'05. What's your setup?

Awesome deal for AGP'ers with decent systems. My P4C 2.4 isn't worth upgrading at this point. AGP may be alive and well, but socket 478 has been buried and forgotten :) 
January 2, 2007 8:11:15 PM

P4 3.2C w/ HT
IC7-Max3
3GB OCZ PC4000
36GB raptor
250 WD HD

no o/c

i'll get screen shots up tonight
January 2, 2007 8:24:16 PM

Quote:
P4 3.2C w/ HT
IC7-Max3
3GB OCZ PC4000
36GB raptor
250 WD HD

no o/c

i'll get screen shots up tonight

Nice. I have the IC7-MAX3 as well. I'll never buy another ABIT.

I can see why you don't want to go PCIe yet. That comp has a decent amount of life left in it. Plus, it'll buy you some time before DX10 goes mainstream.
January 3, 2007 12:46:28 AM

Currently running a 9800 Pro 256mb 256 bit on an AMD 3200+ Newcastle core, 1 gig memory.
My other computer/wifes work computer is on an old ATI 64mb vivo :cry: 
I was thinking of getting a new card for my 3200+ and putting the 9800 back in the old 1.4 ghz work computer to make it last longer. Kids like to play sims 2 and it locks up on the 64mb card. I had the 9800 in there before I built my new one and it worked great.
I will be using my 3200+ for probably another 2 to 3 years at least. Would the x1950pro be worth it or would something like the 1800 series be better(if they make it agp)
No way I can build another computer right now.
I can spring the 290 for the 1950 right now as long as the boss/wife doesnt complain too much.

thanks

PS Newegg only has the Diamond x1950pro. Is diamond still good. I know they have been out of the highend for awhile. Just wondering.
January 3, 2007 5:38:19 AM

the 8800's need 2 6 pin pci e power connectors.

if u guys upgraded to pci e becuz u thought agp was gonna die, lmao.

goin on 2 years now, and my agp slot is still as good as pci e

remember unless your running 64bit os u wont see any gain with single pci e card.
January 3, 2007 5:54:26 AM

Quote:

AGP is a dying technology. The AGP slot can only provide 25 watts and so two molexes would only barely power an 8800 in an AGP slot. According to this site: Click an 8800GTX sucks about 155 Watts of power. 6pin PCIe connectors provide 75watts each but I'm not sure how many watts a molex provides (which is what AGP cards use) but I'm fairly certain nvidia would not switch connectors just for the hell of it and that the 6pins provide more power than the 4 pin molexes. So an 8800 AGP would either need 3 molexes or it would simply be struggling for power.

Quote:
remember unless your running 64bit os u wont see any gain with single pci e card

I'm not sure where you got this in your head this is just simply not true.
January 3, 2007 6:29:49 AM

Way overpriced. I've seen them go for as low as $229 a few weeks ago. Best bet would be to wait, since more will be out for sure by the end of January. I wouldn't pay more than $250 for an X1950 Pro, and especially not nearly $300. After the MIR, the BFG 7800GS going for $175 on Newegg is a much better price/performance ratio

$250 for an X1950 Pro? Probably worth it if you're stuck on AGP and still have a strong processor. Anything more than, say, $275 max is too much and you're better off saving for the switch to PCIe.
a c 172 U Graphics card
January 3, 2007 6:55:26 AM

Speaking of price, not to bad of an intro deal.

Here is the PCIe version, and its only $30 cheaper. (not counting the MIR.) Considering that the AGP card is brand new with zero compitition, not bad at all. If I were upgrading AGP I'd be tempted to go for that 256MB card with the aftermarket cooler on it. That was supposed to come out around $250.
January 3, 2007 8:47:21 AM

Quote:

if u guys upgraded to pci e becuz u thought agp was gonna die, lmao.

goin on 2 years now, and my agp slot is still as good as pci e

remember unless your running 64bit os u wont see any gain with single pci e card.

AGP cards are considered legacy because AGP has been replaced by PCIe, from a standards point of view.
January 3, 2007 3:08:33 PM

Where the hell did you dig up that quote about Dual Booting being a Myth?? That has got to be one of the funniest things I have ever seen!!
January 3, 2007 7:05:22 PM

the 32bit os linits band width to 32 gb just like it limits memory to 4 gb. you have to run 64 bit os s to get the full bandwidth. in 64 bit the full bandwidth is 512 mb instead of the 32 mb in 32 bit. since agp 8x has 32gb of bandwidth you see no difference between the 2(pci e and agp). ith is like the 4 gb limit in addressable memory for 32 bit vs 16 exabites for 64 bit.

plz dont tell me that i dont know.
January 3, 2007 8:07:14 PM

8O WTF 8O What color is the sky in your world?? So you are telling me that my 32 Bit OS isn't taking advantage of my 66Mhz 64 Bit SCSI RAID controllers in my servers? Something is seriously wrong dude, I think you should go get yourself checked out. Not to flame or anything, but that just doesn't make any sense.
January 3, 2007 8:56:01 PM

i cant explain it anymore layman?

if ya dont understand then u just dont understand.

and u wouldnt be running xp home on "your servers" are ya? lol

if your runnin window server 2003 (32 bit) then yes, if your running windows server 2003 enterprise edition, or redhat enterprise server 4 ull truely use the scsi 64bit controller card.

but of course u knew that.
January 3, 2007 9:04:46 PM

Hi Guys and Dolls

Picked up a Sapphire X1950PRO a couple of days ago here in Denmark.
Serves as a replacement for a X800.
Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter is now very playable in 1024*768 with all details.
CS:Source is very nice in 1280 with all details including the maps that include HDR and all details on High. VERY nice indeed :p 

Rest of my comp is :

AMD X2 4200+
MSI 6702
2 GB RAM
2 RAPTOR 74GB
Prodigy HIFI soundcard
Win XP SP2 fully patched with 6.12 Catalyst drivers.
January 3, 2007 9:56:55 PM

Quote:
the 32bit os linits band width to 32 gb just like it limits memory to 4 gb. you have to run 64 bit os s to get the full bandwidth. in 64 bit the full bandwidth is 512 mb instead of the 32 mb in 32 bit. since agp 8x has 32gb of bandwidth you see no difference between the 2(pci e and agp). ith is like the 4 gb limit in addressable memory for 32 bit vs 16 exabites for 64 bit.

Can you provide some links to prove this?
I think you're talking rubbish tbh since your figures for AGP are totally wrong and you don't even seem to know the difference between mb, gb, and the variations used in data transfer.

Memory addressing and speed are two totally different things.
Addressing is limited by the cpu register size. This is not something the O/S is in control of, it is a restriction put in place by the CPU.
Same with the pci-e bus. The O/S doesnt control this, it uses it, but what the bus does and how it does it is not relevant to the O/S.
January 3, 2007 10:17:32 PM

Quote:
Where the hell did you dig up that quote about Dual Booting being a Myth?? That has got to be one of the funniest things I have ever seen!!

Some stupid troll that was angry that beta Vista wasn't working with his 8800GTX. I was thinking about erasing it but now I guess I won't :) 
January 4, 2007 4:29:04 AM

Quote:

I think you're talking rubbish tbh since your figures for AGP are totally wrong and you don't even seem to know the difference between mb, gb, and the variations used in data transfer.

Addressing is limited by the cpu register size. This is not something the O/S is in control of, it is a restriction put in place by the CPU.
Same with the pci-e bus. The O/S doesnt control this, it uses it, but what the bus does and how it does it is not relevant to the O/S.

http://www.theserverside.net/tt/articles/showarticle.ts...

can u understand now?
January 4, 2007 4:54:57 AM

I was waiting for the AGP X1950 Pro for a LONG time.
Too bad I now think my P4 3.0 is the bottleneck.
January 4, 2007 5:09:06 AM

Quote:
So it is, and as of now Im winning :D 

Looks like im ahead by about 54 posts! ha ha!
January 4, 2007 5:58:13 AM

Quote:

can u understand now?

wait maybe this will help, it seems you havent been showing up for class, lol.

dont stress dude alot of u all think pci e is the way to go today, when in all reality your wrong.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/262
January 4, 2007 6:40:35 AM

The link is dead.
January 4, 2007 6:41:53 AM

Quote:

can u understand now?

That article is on servers.
January 4, 2007 6:42:20 AM

Quote:
dont stress dude alot of u all think pci e is the way to go today, when in all reality your wrong.

Right, try telling that to every major graphics card manufacturer on earth, see what they tell you.

AGP is a dead tech, its never going to be revived. PCI-E is the here and now, why? BECAUSE ITS BETTER THEN AGP!!!
January 4, 2007 6:43:20 AM

AGP cannot do SLi :?
a c 172 U Graphics card
January 4, 2007 6:45:03 AM

Holy cow, how did I miss your posts??? I have no clue how you could be so wrong and so many people didn't call you on this...

Quote:

The only part of that paragraph that even because to be correct is the last sentence. "the 32bit os linits band width to 32 gb" Huh???? What bandwith? How can it be limited to 32gb when 32 bits only goes as high as 4gbs? AGP 8X has 2.1GBs of bandwith (table 1), not 32gb. You see no difference between AGP and PCIe because each provides so much bandwith that it isn't fully used YET.

Quote:
alot of u all think pci e is the way to go today, when in all reality your wrong.

No, its the way to go. Faster then either PCI or AGP, and cheaper then SCSI. If it helps, think of it this way. You don't really have a choice, as the industry is moving to PCIe. Just as you can't get ISA boards anymore, its going to get harder and harder to find good AGP boards. This is NOT a bad thing, as its getting even harder to find high end AGP cards.
January 4, 2007 7:15:52 AM

Quote:
Holy cow, how did I miss your posts??? I have no clue how you could be so wrong and so many people didn't call you on this...

The only part of that paragraph that even because to be correct is the last sentence. "the 32bit os linits band width to 32 gb" Huh???? What bandwith? How can it be limited to 32gb when 32 bits only goes as high as 4gbs? AGP 8X has 2.1GBs of
bandwith (table 1), not 32gb. You see no difference between AGP and PCIe because each provides so much bandwith that it isn't fully used YET.

Quote:
alot of u all think pci e is the way to go today, when in all reality your wrong.

No, its the way to go. Faster then either PCI or AGP, and cheaper then SCSI. If it helps, think of it this way. You don't really have a choice, as the industry is moving to PCIe. Just as you can't get ISA boards anymore, its going to get harder and harder to find good AGP boards. This is NOT a bad thing, as its getting even harder to find high end AGP cards.

since ati came out with x1950 pro in AGP and nvidia's 8800gt AGP will be out next week or ive heard before the months out. AGP will never be dead. sry most of spent money on tech u dont or wont understand.

this link should help some of your nonunderstanding if not im done with this subject. schools out.
January 4, 2007 8:50:06 AM

Saying AGP will never be out is highly misleading I think.

Many users still use AGP, but all new systems manufactured are PCI Express. With new CPUs requiring new mobos, AGP will slowly die out as AGP users upgrade other parts of their systems.

Ultimately it will be ATI and Nvidia who decide exactly when it will die out, when it become uneconomical for them to produce an AGP PCB when not enough people are buying it. It wouldn't surprise me if this happened after the 8800 and R600 have been moved to AGP (especially the soon-to-arrive mid-range cards).
January 4, 2007 9:06:19 AM

Quote:

can u understand now?

wait maybe this will help, it seems you havent been showing up for class, lol.

erm, what are you quoting here. Yes processors allow 2 modes of operation, 32bit and 64bit. What on earth has that got to do with PCI-E bus bandwidth. Please be direct when you are providing sources.
Also none of your sources are hardware papers, they are just articles.

As for your first article, its a .net article for a start, and once again, what are you quoting from it. I'm not reading all that.

I personally don't think AGP had hit it's limit, but it is dying out since a multi purpose bus like pci-e will just make things easier and be able to provide high speeds to hardware other than graphics cards.
a c 172 U Graphics card
January 4, 2007 4:29:45 PM

Linkage for the soon to be arriving AGP8800 please. I haven't heard nothing about them, and a yahoo search comes up empty.

djgandy is also correct. There is nothing in that article that backs up any numbers you wrote. School may be out, but you left way to early. The_abyss is also right. AGP dies when no one wants to make the cards anymore. (as a capitalist society, this happens when no one makes enough money on the cards.) When it becomes to expensive to design, include the bridge chip, etc for these cards, they will simply stop making them. NOT a bad thing really, as we'll have much better/different motherboards out by then and who would want an old S939/S478 motherboard anymore?

Lastly, heres a good rule of thumb. If someone says your wrong, and you believe your right, theres a chance you could be and you should state your side. But when you state your side, and you have MANY people telling you your wrong, you should stop and listen to what they are saying.
January 4, 2007 5:40:41 PM

Quote:

This is an absolute falsehood.

The AGP 8x bus bandwidth is still excellent by today's standards, but that has absolutely nothing to do with the operating system whatsoever.

Regardless of how AGP performs, PCI express is the new standard and, inevitably, AGP is on the way out.

To pretend that is not the case is like trying to convince people that old ISA video cards are the future.
!