mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
I'm always on the search for ways to cool my drives more efficiently, after a recent data loss episode which saw my music collection disappear.

The purpose of this thread is to find out just that, so if people can post their hard drive temps, cooling solutions and any reliability problems or successes.

Hopefully I can find some more ways to prolong the life of my data!

Cheers y'all, and a happy new year to you all across the globe - have fun tonight!

Ls3D

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
With 2 fans in the front of my case my drive temps have never even felt more than comfortably warm to the touch, this includes 10 K raptors and 7200 prm drives.

I'm old enought to remember very hot and huge form factor drives, but drive temps have not been an issue for many years now - perhaps you are running silent.

Sorry no actual values, but comfortably warm should suffice.

-S

P.S. - How is it you got caught without a backup? 250 Gb external USB drives just hit $100 here.

bigsby

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
My WD Caviar 250 gig right now runs at anywhere from 25 to 35 degrees C with my side panel off. Before, when I didn't have a fan right in front of my hard drive, with the side panel off, it would rise upto around 52 degrees C. Just having a fan in front makes all the difference.