Sign in with
Your question

FX70, FX72 & FX74

Last response: in CPUs
December 31, 2006 4:58:02 PM

I was just reading an article at toms hardware and it said this:
The biggest price fall we recorded happened this week, with a stunning $350 drop in price for the dual-socket FX-74. This makes me think that the FX74 shown at Newegg for 550 are sold in paires of 2 and not single.

Does anybody have any more info on this?

http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/12/29/price_performance_ana...

More about : fx70 fx72 fx74

December 31, 2006 5:02:46 PM

Oh God, not this again...

Many tech sites reported an initial price of $999 for two FX 74 CPUs. They also reported two would be in one box. A $350 drop would be $650 in this case, perhaps they actually started at $900. Your assertion is probably right.
December 31, 2006 5:51:12 PM

Quote:
Oh God, not this again...

HAHA :p 

Just wait till Baron gets here and touts his predictions...
December 31, 2006 6:23:43 PM

Can you run a FX7(x) series by itself, like an FX-62? Or is in strictly 4x4 only? And if you can, how does it compare to the FX-60 line of AMD's processors?

oh yeah, ps, how do you turn off automatic subscription to threads you post in?

Thanks
-Snowy
December 31, 2006 6:29:39 PM

I believe so, not sure why you'd want to though.

As for "thread subscription", if you're referring to E-mail reminders when others post where you have, there should be a link within the E-mail to shut it up, and stop the Inbox clogging. If you're talking about the "your posts" link in the main hardware section that lists your post history, don't worry about it (I don't think you can get rid of it).
December 31, 2006 7:35:43 PM

Quote:
Can you run a FX7(x) series by itself, like an FX-62? Or is in strictly 4x4 only? And if you can, how does it compare to the FX-60 line of AMD's processors?

You should be able to run a single FX70-72-74 in a Socket F 1207 pin motherboard such as the Tyan Tiger K9HE S3970 but I don't know if anyone's tried it. From a performance standpoint for say the FX60 vs a single FX70, it would seem to be about the same from the specs. Then again, I can't say I've heard of anyone who's used a single FX7(x).
December 31, 2006 8:14:18 PM

On NewEgg the box specifically says "Processor" not "Processors". Take a look at the pic.

December 31, 2006 8:18:25 PM

Yeah, I noticed that before. So are there one or two CPUs in the box? Is the big price drop actually a price hike since it was a grand for two and now it's $650 for one? 8O

If that's the case, then we definitely know that the AMD board "did too much LDS at Berkeley." :D 
December 31, 2006 8:21:21 PM

I wish someone somewhere would buy one of these and open the box to tell us. Or I could just email Newegg, ^^.
December 31, 2006 8:28:52 PM

Baron should know. We should ask him!
December 31, 2006 8:29:16 PM

that is going to be hard since they are socket F... unless socket F is compatible for AM2.
December 31, 2006 8:31:38 PM

Quote:
that is going to be hard since they are socket F... unless socket F is compatible for AM2.

Socket F is 1207 pins, and that's 267 more than AM2. Wouldn't be a neat fit. But you might cram it in if you filed some of the pins off the CPU and bent the rest. :D 
December 31, 2006 8:39:34 PM

Quote:
NO!! Don't get BM involved...it'll just turn to sh!t once he starts with the FUD. :x
December 31, 2006 8:41:54 PM

Quote:
NO!! Don't get BM involved...it'll just turn to sh!t once he starts with the FUD. :x

Don't worry. Vista's not out yet.
December 31, 2006 8:44:32 PM

Quote:

Happy New Year, Tanker. You off to London's biggest NYE party tonight? Gonna get drunk and rowdy and end up in the local lockup to sleep it off?

I really find it strange that this long after Quad FX's intro, nobody is really quite sure what's in the CPU box. That must mean that the sales must have been at least into the high single digits! :lol: 
December 31, 2006 8:56:39 PM

sad, for the price, you can't use one of those chips solo.. it would put them in some good competition against intel.. that is just horrible marketing strategy
December 31, 2006 9:03:09 PM

Quote:

Socket F is 1207 pins, and that's 267 more than AM2. Wouldn't be a neat fit. But you might cram it in if you filed some of the pins off the CPU and bent the rest. :D 

There was the guy in another thread that mentioned tapping his CPU in with a hammer. Maybe he will get one of these.
December 31, 2006 9:39:32 PM

Quote:

Don't worry. Vista's not out yet.

Yeh, its going to be released with Crysis or doom 4, which means sometime between may07 to never
December 31, 2006 9:43:00 PM

Quote:

There was the guy in another thread that mentioned tapping his CPU in with a hammer. Maybe he will get one of these.

Did you see the one where the guy thought he had an extra pin in the corner of the CPU, so he cut the corner off with a wire cutter.
December 31, 2006 9:45:41 PM

Quote:

Did you see the one where the guy thought he had an extra pin in the corner of the CPU, so he cut the corner off with a wire cutter.

Why would you even have an idea like that pop in to your head? 8O

Maybe he decided to COUNT all the pins and when he finished he had too many. Or maybe he miscounted. :wink:
December 31, 2006 9:49:25 PM

Quote:

Maybe he decided to COUNT all the pins and when he finished he had too many. Or maybe he miscounted. :wink:

:lol:  No, he just didnt look at the alignment arrows. He had the chip rotated out of correct position, and just didnt realize the pins would only allign in a specific postion.
December 31, 2006 9:51:42 PM

Quote:

:lol:  No, he just didnt look at the alignment arrows. He had the chip rotated out of correct position, and just didnt realize the pins would only allign in a specific postion.

Please, please tell me that's a joke.
December 31, 2006 9:57:45 PM

Quote:

Nope, no joke. It was awhile ago, as I recall it showed up over in the THG 'Build your own' section under things not to do.
December 31, 2006 9:59:09 PM

Quote:

Was it Baron? Well you know how he thinks all other people are wrong, maybe he thinks that way with objects too. He couldn't possibly have made a mistake, its obviously a falty chip...

sorry baron... :wink:
December 31, 2006 10:21:46 PM

Quote:

Nope, no joke. It was awhile ago, as I recall it showed up over in the THG 'Build your own' section under things not to do.

Eeek. I wish AMD would have made AM2 an LGA socket like its server counterpart. It's less nerve-wracking.
December 31, 2006 10:24:11 PM

Quote:

Remeber the guy that had a pci-X gpu and he had an agp MB. Then his friend said...OH, you can cut that card to make it fit. :lol: 
December 31, 2006 10:24:20 PM

Wow, an eight level quote tower.
December 31, 2006 10:55:11 PM

Quote:

i have seen were a guy sawed off a 78gt to make it fit a pci slot 8O

then cry about why it diddnt work :lol: 
December 31, 2006 10:59:18 PM

Quote:

I don't believe you.
December 31, 2006 11:00:47 PM

Quote:

I don't believe you.

That does not change the fact that it did happen :wink:
December 31, 2006 11:11:00 PM

Quote:

I don't believe you.

i dont care.
December 31, 2006 11:13:23 PM

Quote:

Is there a picture or video of this.... I would like to see that :) 

it was a picture and it was from andan or firing or someplace like that.

i seen it last year and the guy did have a pic and stated that he carfully cut the pcb not to damage the card 8O .

then he was complaining about it not working :lol: 
December 31, 2006 11:14:11 PM

it could have been from thg i really cant remember.
December 31, 2006 11:18:06 PM

hey jack shouldnt you be celebrating new years with bm :wink:

you know showing him how to apply thermalpaste :lol: 
December 31, 2006 11:20:59 PM

I (think) it was here, although im unsure, one of these guys will remember it even if it was not.
December 31, 2006 11:22:55 PM

Quote:
I (think) it was here, although im unsure, one of these guys will remember it even if it was not.

yeah jack should remember as he is pushin 40 :lol: 
December 31, 2006 11:24:39 PM

Quote:

Maybe that's why he forgot :lol: 
December 31, 2006 11:29:37 PM

Well if there are pictures I definitely want to see, :lol: 
December 31, 2006 11:43:16 PM

Quote:

Maybe that's why he forgot :lol: 

yeah he hasnt posted in a while, he might have forgot which website
he is on :lol: 

or maybe talking with bm has warped his mind :lol: 
December 31, 2006 11:45:02 PM

Quote:

I'll see if i can find it, although it might be next year before i do. As i have steaks to throw on the grill, and beer to drink :wink:
December 31, 2006 11:47:57 PM

Quote:

I'll see if i can find it, although it might be next year before i do. As i have steaks to throw on the grill, and beer to drink :wink:

im not sure but it might have been anand or firing or guruof
or techreport.

ah hell i dont know. as i too am pushin 40 :lol: 

and you are not far behind 8O
December 31, 2006 11:48:23 PM

I have mass amounts of pizza to eat, cant grill much in SF.
December 31, 2006 11:51:30 PM

Quote:

you cookin steaks 8O

and i left your house to come home too sick kids :cry: 

candace,s little one jocilyn is runnin a temp of 104 8O
December 31, 2006 11:56:17 PM

Pizza is good to, dam shame you can not grill that much there though. As they might slap some chumped up fine on you, for an open flame inside city limts.

P.S. that should be one of the amendments..The right to grill :lol: 
January 1, 2007 12:05:37 AM

Quote:

you cookin steaks 8O

Oh dear, let us know that they are OK. This is a bit high, must be really feeling horrible.

yeah they (my g/f and her freind candace) were thinking about
taking the little one to the hospital and the hospital said no 8O
not till her temp reaches 105 8O

yes she feels hotter than a presscott and is cyring like bm
at an intel convention :lol: 
January 1, 2007 12:24:48 AM

Quote:

you cookin steaks 8O

Oh dear, let us know that they are OK. This is a bit high, must be really feeling horrible.

yeah they (my g/f and her freind candace) were thinking about
taking the little one to the hospital and the hospital said no 8O
not till her temp reaches 105 8O

yes she feels hotter than a presscott and is cyring like bm
at an intel convention :lol: 

Now that's funny :lol: 

on an important note, hell, 105 is way too hot and close to heatstroke levels. You might want to pack her armpits with ice, take her to the medic and slap the nurse who said to wait when you get there.

P.S. Slap her mom on the way, for draggin her kid around on new years eve night with a fever, so she can party :evil: 
January 1, 2007 12:32:35 AM

no packing with ice that might make her sieze.

it is down to 100 now so its looking good.

she is calming down now as her cying was making me feel bad :cry: 
January 1, 2007 12:33:56 AM

Quote:
take her to the medic and slap the nurse who said to wait when you get there.

yeah they must be busy with drunks tonight at the e.r. :lol: 
January 1, 2007 3:45:39 AM

Quote:
take her to the medic and slap the nurse who said to wait when you get there.

yeah they must be busy with drunks tonight at the e.r. :lol: 

Nah, just some mildly sick fidiots that can't wait a day or two to go to the doc.
January 1, 2007 4:45:24 AM

Quote:
Wow, an eight level quote tower.

Do you think it looks better in 4x4 mode?

----------------------

Quote:

Remeber the guy that had a pci-X gpu and he had an agp MB. Then his friend said...OH, you can cut that card to make it fit. :lol: 
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

!