Intermittent wireless network disconnects - very frustrati..

The problem is that my Internet connection and any network capability is
occasionally cut off when I restart my laptop computer. When my laptop
starts the wirelesss connectoid tells me that I have a good/excellent
signal but I have no network and no Internet. Sometimes even when I am
accessing the network it seems I just lose the connection without
warning. It requires disconnecting and reconnecting the power to start
things up again.

My wireless network is connected to a wired network. I have converted my
wireless router to an access point and have assigned it a static IP
address out of the range of the wired router 192.168.0.203. The wired
router has been converted to a switch because I have dialup and have
assigned my gateway computer with 192.168.0.1 so that I can use ICS. I
have DHCP enabled on the wireless router though I am not sure it should
be since I have a static IP address. I have a total of 3 computers on a
wired network and 1 for my wireless network. I have a Netgear nic on the
Laptop and both routers are DLInk.

Again, it seems that I can just unplug the DLink router for a couple
seconds and replug it and then the connection comes back. Are there any
settings that I’m missing? I have tried disabling and enabling Wireless
Zero Configuration with no effect. I am using Windows XP Pro built-in
wireless configuration. Should I go back to the DLink one? What else am
I missing? Can I configure my wireless router to ping my laptop every
from time to time?

Ron
3 answers Last reply
More about intermittent wireless network disconnects frustrati

    Have you called DLink for assistance? I have a similar problem with one of
    my machines and it never got completely resolved but it did improve after
    talking to Linksys, who makes my wireless hardware. I understand this
    happens with some older motherboards. What is happening is probably an
    authentication problem. After a short time the router begins to reject the
    client.

    You should take this question to the
    microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless newsgroup because the issue is
    not windows xp basic.

    Colin Barnhorst wrote:
    > Have you called DLink for assistance? I have a similar problem with one of
    > my machines and it never got completely resolved but it did improve after
    > talking to Linksys, who makes my wireless hardware. I understand this
    > happens with some older motherboards. What is happening is probably an
    > authentication problem. After a short time the router begins to reject the
    > client.

    Sooooooo.... you talked to them and it magically improved? Or what did they
    tell you to do to fix the problem? I'd be curious to know HOW you fixed your
    problem.

    8 )
    Thanks tons
    Ron

    The tech walked me through several configuration changes which I input to
    the router. They did not make a lot of sense to me so I don't have a feel
    for what you should try. The changes did seem to help. However, I don't
    think that the configuration solves it. The problem seems to have been an
    older computer that did not support IEEE 802.1x authentication in the
    motherboard. The same thing can happen if the access point does not support
    it. That is why I recommend calling whoever manufactures your wireless
    equipment.

    Here is a link that may help you get started:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=35c7e5ad-59e7-477b-9d27-6a7030e67002&displaylang=en

    You might also try the following.

    1. Click Start, point to Connect To, click Show all connections, and
    then double-click your wireless network adapter.
    2. On the General tab, click Properties.
    3. Click the Wireless Networks tab.
    4. Under Preferred Networks, click your home network, and then click
    Properties.
    5. Click Data encryption (WEP enabled).
    6. Click the Association tab, and then click to clear the Network
    Authentication (Shared mode) check box and the The key is provided for me
    automatically check box, if they are selected.
    7. Click the Authentication tab, and then click to clear the Enable
    IEEE 802.1x authentication for this network check box, if it is selected.
    8. Click OK two times to accept the changes.

    "Morituri-|-Max" <newage@sendarico.net> wrote in message
    > Colin Barnhorst wrote:
    >> Have you called DLink for assistance? I have a similar problem with one
    >> of
    >> my machines and it never got completely resolved but it did improve after
    >> talking to Linksys, who makes my wireless hardware. I understand this
    >> happens with some older motherboards. What is happening is probably an
    >> authentication problem. After a short time the router begins to reject
    >> the
    >> client.
    >
    > Sooooooo.... you talked to them and it magically improved? Or what did
    > they tell you to do to fix the problem? I'd be curious to know HOW you
    > fixed your problem.
    >
    > 8 )
    > Thanks tons
    > Ron