news:1118695577.141409.12110@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
Date: 13 Jun 2005 13:46:17 -0700

hi, i have a big problem. i'm using couple of external usb hard
drives ... almost every time when i use one of those disk (they are
in diffrent cases so i belive that the problem isn't in the drive
or usb case) my computer crashes and i losse all my data on the
partition where the windows 2k + sp4 where installed, i also used
my friend win2k3 and the same thing happend on that OS also (2
times, and on win2k 4 times). please help me or at least tell me
what do you think where the problem is ... thank you!

I'm not sure, but I believe that Windows Update that has to do with
networked hard drives just might fix that problem. Too long ago to
recall anymore.

Cheers!

Bill (using a Toshiba 2595XDVD & Windows 2000)
-- written and edited within Word 2000

hmm, i haven't tryed that, but i belive that if there was an error that
has something to do with that, then i wouldn't even be able to read
those usb disks. i can read all those disks, but the only bad thing is
that during the copy proces sometime (not every time) windows start
reporting a lot of error about mft table problems, and finally they
crash. after that everything that you try to get you data from the
windows installation partition is usless ...

nixa

"NiXa" <nikola.kapraljevic@os.t-com.hr> wrote in message
> hi, i have a big problem. i'm using couple of external usb hard drives
> ... almost every time when i use one of those disk (they are in
> diffrent cases so i belive that the problem isn't in the drive or usb
> case) my computer crashes and i losse all my data on the partition
> where the windows 2k + sp4 where installed, i also used my friend
> win2k3 and the same thing happend on that OS also (2 times, and on
> win2k 4 times). please help me or at least tell me what do you think
> where the problem is ... thank you!
>
> P4 3.0 HT (enabled) presscot
> sata 160gb segate
> intel 925bcx motherboard

Have you made the 48-bit LBA registry change?
It is NOT done automatically and it is required for HDs larger than 128GB.

Here are instructions for enabling 48-bit LBA:
http://www.48bitlba.com/enablebiglba.htm