BFG 7600gt deal expires Tonight

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
December 31, 2006 6:07:42 PM

Im sure you all know that Newegg has had the BFG 7600gt midrange graphics card at 80 dollars after 65 dollar MIR for a while now.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E1681...

Now if you look at the rebate form you will see that the deal expires on 12/31/06 which the last time I checked was tonight.

The exact price is $78.99 but after midnight, new years eve, or just by 2007, it will likely be $143.

I would love to buy it to upgrade from my x800se 128mb (equivalent to 6600gt), but I already spent enough this holiday season (500gb WD mybook external, Lite-On Lightscribe internal dvd burner, creative Xmod sound card.)

Anyone want to buy it for me feel welcome.
December 31, 2006 6:42:20 PM

So... because it's cheap, we're obliged to buy one, for you :lol:  . Thanks for the exp. heads up though.
December 31, 2006 6:55:40 PM

it's a great deal to be sure, but the card will only last you 6 months before it wont be running current games at all.

if you buy a 550 gtx 8800 at least it will last you 3 years or so before you want to upgrade.

buying a 7600gt for any amount of money at this point is money completely wasted.
Related resources
December 31, 2006 7:22:30 PM

Thanks for the heads' up. I'll be upgrading from a Geforce 5300 to 7600GT SLI from this deal, I think. I've been scratching my head about whether I wanted to go with the 7600GT SLI or move to a single card such as a 7900GT or an X1950XT.

I guess if I hadn't seen this post, the decision would have been made for me. :)
December 31, 2006 7:27:20 PM

Quote:
it's a great deal to be sure, but the card will only last you 6 months before it wont be running current games at all.

That's completely pointless. You're trying to compare a $500, state-of-the-art graphics card to one that costs nearly a quarter of that. If someone is really a serious gamer, they're probably not in the market for that card to begin with, unless they have budget constraints. In its price range, the 7600GT is an excellent card. Also, prove to us that no games coming out in the next 6 months will run on the 7600GT. The resolution and settings you desire are what determine what card you should buy.

Quote:
if you buy a 550 gtx 8800 at least it will last you 3 years or so before you want to upgrade.

Most who are willing to drop that kind of money probably upgrade at least once every two years. You could build a very good desktop PC for $550.

Quote:

buying a 7600gt for any amount of money at this point is money completely wasted.

Completely depends on what your needs are, and what resolution you play games at. For an occasional gamer who wants a Vista-proof card that can run the back catalogue of games, it wins handily, especially with the generous rebate.
December 31, 2006 7:32:17 PM

Quote:

Completely depends on what your needs are, and what resolution you play games at.

1280x1024 ftw! I'm sure I could make do with a single 7600GT, but for this price, can't pass up the second.
December 31, 2006 8:32:25 PM

Wow! thats even better than the $90 eVGA 7600 GT deal I got at Circuit City during black friday.
December 31, 2006 10:37:39 PM

i do not communicate well with poor people.

i merely assumed everyone thought like me, and to me only a fool would want to play any game off a 7600 gt. 16xaa!

=0

poor person!
a b U Graphics card
December 31, 2006 11:13:17 PM

I'm tempted to order one. I don't do any heavy gaming, just want to upgrade my old X300 to something that will handle Vista.

Quote:
i do not communicate well with poor people.

i merely assumed everyone thought like me, and to me only a fool would want to play any game off a 7600 gt. 16xaa!

=0

poor person!

Some of us on this forum have to WORK for a living. Our mommy and daddy doesn't buy us a 8800GTX so we will stop whining like a little girl. So my advice, don't leave this type of BS on the forum.
December 31, 2006 11:14:37 PM

Quote:
it's a great deal to be sure, but the card will only last you 6 months before it wont be running current games at all.

That's completely pointless. You're trying to compare a $500, state-of-the-art graphics card to one that costs nearly a quarter of that. If someone is really a serious gamer, they're probably not in the market for that card to begin with, unless they have budget constraints. In its price range, the 7600GT is an excellent card. Also, prove to us that no games coming out in the next 6 months will run on the 7600GT. The resolution and settings you desire are what determine what card you should buy.

Quote:
if you buy a 550 gtx 8800 at least it will last you 3 years or so before you want to upgrade.

Most who are willing to drop that kind of money propbably upgrade at least once every two years. You could build a very good desktop PC for $550.

Quote:

buying a 7600gt for any amount of money at this point is money completely wasted.

Completely depends on what your needs are, and what resolution you play games at. For an occasional gamer who wants a Vista-proof card that can run the back catalogue of games, it wins handily, especially with the generous rebate.

If you think the game developers and publishers are stupid enough to,put there games out when vista has just come out,your wrong,

I Think dx9 games will still be comeing out and then dx 10, a 7600gt will have enough grunt for dx9 games,if you even played a dx10 game on that card,if it was possible i don't know, you would have to have shaders etc, on bare low i think,or a bit higher then that.

anyways people who got the 8800 should of waited for ati,since these current dx9 cards have enough grunt to play dx9 games at nice detail.

and theres me thinking about suppressed technology that would kill the supply and demand in hardware, :roll: stupid complete useless eater who stuggles to prevail eh...
December 31, 2006 11:32:21 PM

Quote:
Some of us on this forum have to WORK for a living. Our mommy and daddy doesn't buy us a 8800GTX so we will stop whining like a little girl. So my advice, don't leave this type of BS on the forum.

I am in full agreement! While my friends had trouble with defective new cards I tested if their game (warcraft) would work on my old FX5700 and it went fine. That FX5700 and the 7600GT both work fine with Vista Aero.

People build computers to be useful multi-purpose machines - if you want it for gaming only, get a console! someonewhoisdead shouldn't you be on one of those damn "My PS3 ownzers all your PCzzzzzzz lozerzz" threads?

Jo
December 31, 2006 11:34:34 PM

Quote:
i do not communicate well with poor people.

i merely assumed everyone thought like me, and to me only a fool would want to play any game off a 7600 gt. 16xaa!

=0

poor person!

Thats a bold statement to make :? My 76gt does just fine for me.
I see you are on your way to makeing alot of friends here, with that kind of outlook on life :wink:
January 1, 2007 12:17:58 AM

FYI for anone wanting to go SLI with the 7600GT. The rebate is limited to only one per receipt, person, address. I ordered two thinking i was getting back 130 bucks on 2 cards. I just RMA'd one with a restocking fee of $21 + 8 bucks shipping. Sad mistake.
a b U Graphics card
January 1, 2007 12:20:47 AM

Better off getting a 7900GT then SLI'ing two 7600GT's if you're buying new cards.
January 1, 2007 12:29:35 AM

Quote:
FYI for anone wanting to go SLI with the 7600GT. The rebate is limited to only one per receipt, person, address. I ordered two thinking i was getting back 130 bucks on 2 cards. I just RMA'd one with a restocking fee of $21 + 8 bucks shipping. Sad mistake.

You got screwd by the company\store were you bought them, not the 7600gt card itself.
January 1, 2007 1:25:59 AM

Quote:
i do not communicate well with poor people.

i merely assumed everyone thought like me, and to me only a fool would want to play any game off a 7600 gt. 16xaa!

=0

poor person!

Well, I don't communicate well with poor idiots like you, who waste a lot of money on the newest hardware.
Thinking that you are better than the rest of us who don't have money to burn, just makes you the "dumb-best" of us.
January 1, 2007 5:30:13 AM

Quote:
If you think the game developers and publishers are stupid enough to,put there games out when vista has just come out,your wrong,

I Think dx9 games will still be comeing out and then dx 10, a 7600gt will have enough grunt for dx9 games,if you even played a dx10 game on that card,if it was possible i don't know, you would have to have shaders etc, on bare low i think,or a bit higher then that.

anyways people who got the 8800 should of waited for ati,since these current dx9 cards have enough grunt to play dx9 games at nice detail.

and theres me thinking about suppressed technology that would kill the supply and demand in hardware, Rolling Eyes stupid complete useless eater who stuggles to prevail eh...

Do you speak english? I'm "stuggling" to understand what you're saying.
January 1, 2007 5:37:54 AM

dont be a gramma whor. u can stil undrstnd wht hes sayin' =)
January 1, 2007 5:39:04 AM

There is this thing called "diminishing returns". It is quite relevant to the pricing of the newest CPUs and GPUs.
January 1, 2007 5:43:46 AM

That's what I was thinking, too. For a $160, getting the GPU components of a 7600GT SLI setup is pretty damned nice.

No, I guess it's not an 8800GTX, but, it's $160, not $600. The more interesting comparison is the SLI 7600GT vs a 7900GT or even an X1950Pro.
January 1, 2007 5:48:11 AM

btw, what is a "gramma whor"?

Sorry, English is not my first language, and I can tend to be a bit lost if I do not say something.
January 1, 2007 5:51:40 AM

Since you are a d*mbass, I will repeat that it all depends on what you need the card for, and what res./settings you want if you want to play games. What you proposed in your original post is that a smarter alternative would be to purchase the most expensive graphics card on the market, which is in fact retarded if you are not a hardcore gamer.

Secondly, if you are a hardcore gamer, the 8800 will not last you 3 years, as you suggest. Is the 6800 Ultra good enough to run Oblivion or F.E.A.R. at the highest settings? No, it is not.
January 1, 2007 5:58:41 AM

OK, I went through some of the...rude guy's recent posts. Saw gems such as...

what's bsod mean
what's a torrent
what's sol, so out of luck?
oem is...?

So...take him with a certain grain of salt. :)
a b U Graphics card
January 1, 2007 6:01:42 AM

Quote:
it's a great deal to be sure, but the card will only last you 6 months before it wont be running current games at all.

if you buy a 550 gtx 8800 at least it will last you 3 years or so before you want to upgrade.

buying a 7600gt for any amount of money at this point is money completely wasted.

a g80 card wont last 3 years.
January 1, 2007 6:07:41 AM

No card will last 3 years if you want to stay current, much less any between major releases of directX.

I'm sorry I even noticed this guy at this point. I've looked at some of his other posts...."OMG, you don't buy all the consoles and a high end PC?!, Medicaid!"

Yeah, whatever. If he has to hit the real world someday, he might get some different opinions. :)
a b U Graphics card
January 1, 2007 6:11:49 AM

Quote:
If he has to hit the real world someday, he might get some different opinions.

yeah he might also get a rude awakening.

or an a$$ beatin.
January 1, 2007 6:13:32 AM

Quote:
If he has to hit the real world someday, he might get some different opinions.

yeah he might also get a rude awakening.

or an a$$ beatin.
I'm still a newbie around these parts. I'm trying to be polite. :)
a b U Graphics card
January 1, 2007 6:18:37 AM

Quote:
If he has to hit the real world someday, he might get some different opinions.

yeah he might also get a rude awakening.

or an a$$ beatin.
I'm still a newbie around these parts. I'm trying to be polite. :)

ok but the technoligy isnt waiting.

whats new tomorrow is out of date today.

there are exceptions though.
January 1, 2007 6:47:58 AM

Quote:
i do not communicate well with poor people.

i merely assumed everyone thought like me, and to me only a fool would want to play any game off a 7600 gt. 16xaa!

=0

poor person!

That's nice. Alienate the entire middle/lower class of this forum. Now try getting some help.
January 2, 2007 11:44:48 PM

Quote:

buying a 7600gt for any amount of money at this point is money completely wasted.

Listen buddy, my x800se can play games like Farcry, Call of Duty, and BF2 at 1280x1024 with settings on all high, or 1600x1200 with all settings on medium.

Now in buying a 7600gt I would be able to play these games at 1600x1200 with all settings on high, as well as newer games @ 1280x1024 or 1024x768 at medium.

Will someone please tell me what the true advantage of having much more GPU power such as a 8800gtx is. It isnt for longevity bc people who buy these card go out and buy the 9800gtx as soon as it comes out. The only reasons that I can see is:

a) too much money and not knowing what to do with it

b) a need for better image quality, as far as I know, more details on the screen doesnt make you a better gamer.

c) simple bragging rights

To put it simply, I cannot see how I would justify the $600 dollar cost of a card such as the 8800gtx. This of course doesnt take into account the higher energy bill.

I havent seen any price/performance decay charts for GPUs, but I would assume that the 7600gt would hold its value longer than an 8800gts or 8800gtx.

Anyhow I believe that my rant is just about over, and Id like to say that I dont condemn spending bales of cash on hardware, I just think that there must be better ways to spend your money.

Goodbye
January 3, 2007 12:21:13 AM

DON'T BE GAY AND LISTEN TO THIS RICH-ASS PUNK WHO THINKS HE KNOWS ANYTHING. DON'T WRITE ANYMORE ON THIS THREAD, PLEASE!
January 3, 2007 12:27:38 AM

Quote:
DON'T BE GAY AND LISTEN TO THIS RICH-ASS PUNK WHO THINKS HE KNOWS ANYTHING. DON'T WRITE ANYMORE ON THIS THREAD, PLEASE!

wtf? who the hell are you talking about

I hope it isnt me (who started the thread and wrote the post before yours)

IF ANYTHING I DECRY SPENDING TOO MUCH ON Computers

your only possible way out of this is if you are talking about "someonewhoisdead", in which case, you should say that more explicitly.

But from what I can see, you are insulting me quite personally and I take much offense at that.

IF this is what you mean to say, I expect a full apology.

Goodnight and Good Luck to you all...
January 3, 2007 12:56:03 AM

Take it easy man, that was not aimed at you :wink:
January 3, 2007 1:10:23 AM

Its all right I PM'ed him.

Here is the transcript verbatim:

From: qwazzy
To: billdcat4
Subject: Good post! Turn flag ON Quote message
Very good post on that one thread about that idiot who plays all games on high! Smile lol

And my reply:
From: billdcat4
To: qwazzy
Subject: Re: Good post! Turn flag ON Edit message
Listen buddy, your last comment on my BFG 7600gt deal expires tonight really looks as if it was aimed at me.

You should check back there:
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?nam...

Im sorry if you didnt mean it but I kinda lost it.

I was going to my PM area to try it out for the 1st time by messaging you when I saw a message about well, your PM.

Still, you must admit, that its a good angry post.

And btw what post precisely were you referring to when you said good post? Im assuming my rant on overspending on hardware.

I must mention though that by using terms like GAY and RICH-ASS punk doesnt enhance your reputation, rather it soils it making you look like a 13 year old.

I dont know how old you are, but it doesnt ever justify using immature talk like that. Although Im still in high school I attempt to use proper english.

As always: Bill The Cat

Goodnight...
January 3, 2007 1:29:04 AM

Quote:
dont be a gramma whor. u can stil undrstnd wht hes sayin' =)

Gramma whor. Priceless.
I'm sure Grandpa whor will not be too pleased to hear you speak so openly of his wife.
January 3, 2007 3:54:38 AM

Quote:
dont be a gramma whor. u can stil undrstnd wht hes sayin' =)

Gramma whor. Priceless.
I'm sure Grandpa whor will not be too pleased to hear you speak so openly of his wife.Looool.
January 3, 2007 3:55:59 AM

Quote:

From: qwazzy
To: billdcat4

From: billdcat4
To: qwazzy
[...]

Full apology! :D  It wasn't aimed at you, but even at the OP..sorry for being immature, I just snapped! :?
January 3, 2007 4:47:58 AM

I ordered one, but I am slowly regretting ordering two. Then again, I don't know.

I bought an SLI motherboard with intentions of using an SLI set up later on, but I never got the extra money to use anything powerful.

I should've ordered two, but whatever. Too late at this point.

I'm glad I got one at the deal.

What I'm thinking of doing is waiting until summer when I have extra money, doing a full upgrade, going with a two GPU set up, but getting rid of my socket 939 set-up.

I'm sure a single 7600GT will run current games "good enough" for my standards, and when newer stuff comes out that needs something more powerful than that, I'll have the money to upgrade.

I didn't want to get top of the line parts in the middle of a Direct X update. I want to wait until the whole Vista/Direct X10/ R600 hype wears out, so I can see what's really better or not.

Call me a smart consumer. You dump 500 dollars on a GPU? We'll see who's laughing in a month or two when a better one comes out for cheaper. (I was one of the laughing "poor boys" that bought a 9500 Non-Pro and modified it to 9700 Pro speeds, I also bought an X800GTO2 for 180 and soft-modified it to X850XT speeds. I was a budget gamer too poor to buy the top of the line parts, that could still play them at the same settings as the dumb rich guys.)

ATI is famous for having mid-range cards that "unlock" to high-range power. I have a good feeling something related to the R600 core will be available later this year that'll walk up and down the 8800 benchmarks, and for 300 dollars cheaper.

Cheers.[/i]
!