Error c00000218 on memory upgrade

Hi!

Please, what might be the actual reason for, and is there any easy cure for
the c00000218 error, blaiming on corrupt system32\config\system file, on
Win2000Pro upon memory upgrade (128MB->256MB)?

I think some kind of the repair installations would be the way correcting it
, but it's maybe too long annoying way with all the 50 hotfixes etc. then
needing re-loading/installing ...

Best regards,

Pete V.
5 answers Last reply
More about error c00000218 memory upgrade

    If the system hive is corrupt, and assuming you already tried LKG (F8 and
    choose Last Known Good), It may be possible to rename the system hive found
    in
    %windir%\system32\config\system
    to system.old
    then rename
    %windir%\system32\config\system.alt
    %windir%\system32\config\system

    You can also try using the most recent backup found in
    %windir%\repair\regback

    If that fails you haven't much choice but to copy/ use the
    original-as-installed system hive from
    %windir%\repair\system
    %windir%\system32\config\system
    You'll need to reinstall the device drivers for any hardware added since the
    original OS install.

    To start the Recovery Console, start the computer from the Windows 2000
    Setup CD or the Windows 2000 Setup floppy disks. If you do not have Setup
    floppy disks and your computer cannot start from the Windows 2000 Setup CD,
    use another Windows 2000-based computer to create the Setup floppy disks. At
    the "Welcome to Setup" screen. Press F10 or R to repair a Windows 2000
    installation, and then press C to use the Recovery Console. The Recovery
    Console then prompts you for the administrator password. If you do not have
    the correct password, Recovery Console does not allow access to the
    computer. If an incorrect password is entered three times, the Recovery
    Console quits and restarts the computer. Note If the registry is corrupted
    or missing or no valid installations are found, the Recovery Console starts
    in the root of the startup volume without requiring a password. You cannot
    access any folders, but you can carry out commands such as chkdsk, fixboot,
    and fixmbr for limited disk repairs. Once the password has been validated,
    you have full access to the Recovery Console, but limited access to the hard
    disk. You can only access the following folders on your computer: drive
    root, %systemroot% or %windir%

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "PeteV" wrote:
    | Hi!
    |
    | Please, what might be the actual reason for, and is there any easy cure
    for
    | the c00000218 error, blaiming on corrupt system32\config\system file, on
    | Win2000Pro upon memory upgrade (128MB->256MB)?
    |
    | I think some kind of the repair installations would be the way correcting
    it
    | , but it's maybe too long annoying way with all the 50 hotfixes etc. then
    | needing re-loading/installing ...
    |

    | Best regards,
    |
    | Pete V.

    This error refers to a corrupt registry hive, so a repair install would have
    a high risk of data loss if it fails. I'd bet that during the memory
    upgrade somebody used a magnetic screwdriver.

    If you have Recovery Console, you should be able to get a command line so
    you can unhide and copy over the backup registry files into the proper
    place. Or, if you don't have the RC ready to go, try booting up with "Last
    Known Good".

    "PeteV" <PeteV@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi!
    >
    > Please, what might be the actual reason for, and is there any easy cure
    > for
    > the c00000218 error, blaiming on corrupt system32\config\system file, on
    > Win2000Pro upon memory upgrade (128MB->256MB)?
    >
    > I think some kind of the repair installations would be the way correcting
    > it
    > , but it's maybe too long annoying way with all the 50 hotfixes etc. then
    > needing re-loading/installing ...
    >

    > Best regards,
    >
    > Pete V.

    Hi!

    Thanks for the replies.

    This error case did appear simply just by replacing the present memory
    module pair with another bigger pair and booting up the machine, BIOS
    accepting the new modules without any hesitation. No tools were needed for
    it, and everything went OK again, when reversing the replacing.

    The status with this client case of mine now is somehow disappointed, when
    not getting the memory upgraded, and I'll go there once again in few days for
    retrial of this, as yesterday not having time enough to experiment the case
    more in deep.

    I have a feeling, that the memory modules may have been somehow too much
    different type, as the system/config hive didn't accept them, even BIOS did
    accept. On many other Win2000Pro and WinXP machines I have been changing
    memory modules without any problems, so far not getting even XP to blaim for
    the license points drop-down.

    Now I plan to do several different corrective trials, first with some other
    module pairs, then the LKG boot, then maybe the RC, and finally both the R
    install alternatives. I believe, that some these will help, hopefully the
    easy ones ... But, annoying, what a mess with one of the simplest upgrades

    Best regards,

    Pete V.

    "j9" wrote:

    > This error refers to a corrupt registry hive, so a repair install would have
    > a high risk of data loss if it fails. I'd bet that during the memory
    > upgrade somebody used a magnetic screwdriver.
    >
    > If you have Recovery Console, you should be able to get a command line so
    > you can unhide and copy over the backup registry files into the proper
    > place. Or, if you don't have the RC ready to go, try booting up with "Last
    > Known Good".
    >

    > "PeteV" <PeteV@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi!
    > >
    > > Please, what might be the actual reason for, and is there any easy cure
    > > for
    > > the c00000218 error, blaiming on corrupt system32\config\system file, on
    > > Win2000Pro upon memory upgrade (128MB->256MB)?
    > >
    > > I think some kind of the repair installations would be the way correcting
    > > it
    > > , but it's maybe too long annoying way with all the 50 hotfixes etc. then
    > > needing re-loading/installing ...
    > >

    > > Best regards,
    > >
    > > Pete V.

    Hi!

    Thanks for the replies.

    This error case did appear simply just by replacing both of the 2 present
    memory modules with 2 other bigger ones and booting up the machine, BIOS
    accepting the new modules without any hesitation. No tools were needed for
    it, and everything went OK again, when reversing the replacing.

    The status with this client case of mine now is somehow disappointed, when
    not getting the memory upgraded, and I'll go there once again in few days for
    retrial of this, as yesterday not having time enough to experiment the case
    more in deep.

    I have a feeling, that the memory modules may have been somehow too much
    different type, as the system/config hive didn't accept them, even BIOS did
    accept. On many other Win2000Pro and WinXP machines I have been changing
    memory modules without any problems, so far not getting even XP to blaim at
    all for the license points drop-down.

    "j9" wrote:

    > This error refers to a corrupt registry hive, so a repair install would have
    > a high risk of data loss if it fails. I'd bet that during the memory
    > upgrade somebody used a magnetic screwdriver.
    >
    > If you have Recovery Console, you should be able to get a command line so
    > you can unhide and copy over the backup registry files into the proper
    > place. Or, if you don't have the RC ready to go, try booting up with "Last
    > Known Good".
    >

    > "PeteV" <PeteV@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi!
    > >
    > > Please, what might be the actual reason for, and is there any easy cure
    > > for
    > > the c00000218 error, blaiming on corrupt system32\config\system file, on
    > > Win2000Pro upon memory upgrade (128MB->256MB)?
    > >
    > > I think some kind of the repair installations would be the way correcting
    > > it
    > > , but it's maybe too long annoying way with all the 50 hotfixes etc. then
    > > needing re-loading/installing ...
    > >

    > > Best regards,
    > >
    > > Pete V.

    Hi!

    Sorry guys, there wasn't any serious problem, case cleared with no
    particular actions!

    The problem was just sudden and temporary, everything went OK with the
    memory upgrade on another trial ...

    Best regards,

    Pete V.

    "PeteV" wrote:

    > Hi!
    >
    > Please, what might be the actual reason for, and is there any easy cure for
    > the c00000218 error, blaiming on corrupt system32\config\system file, on
    > Win2000Pro upon memory upgrade (128MB->256MB)?
    >
    > I think some kind of the repair installations would be the way correcting it
    > , but it's maybe too long annoying way with all the 50 hotfixes etc. then
    > needing re-loading/installing ...
    >

    > Best regards,
    >
    > Pete V.

Configuration System File Microsoft Memory Upgrade Windows