Yupyup

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2006
0x0000009c (0x00000005, 0xBAB44050, 0xB2000018, 0x02000E0F)

Thats what I get, I'm pretty noob. How can I check what this means?

I tried google

Specs are
e6300
7600GT
250gb seagate
2gb Patriot DDR2 667
Gigabyte 965G ds3

Sagekilla

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2006
Typically you get a message such as "IRQL_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL," "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA," "UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_TRAP" or something to that effect.

You might also get an associated file like nv4_disp.sys. That's what he's referring to. BSODs usually have a bunch of information associated with it.

Edit: To further elaborate, the following are some common causes associated with BSODs:

IRQL error: Can be caused by software drivers conflicting
Page fault: Bad memory
Unexpected Kernel Trap: Overclocking

This isn't 100% universal though, just to give you a crash course sorta.

Yupyup

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2006
Is there a list of them you can link to me? I'll be able to remember it from there.

I've gotten it before, just usually I get a complete restart, no BSOD

Thanks for the replys so far.

The_OGS

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
usually I get a complete restart, no BSOD
That's because your Windows is set to restart - you have to turn that off in order to see the BSOD.
Go to: System Properties > Advanced > Startup and Recovery Settings > System Failure, and un-tick 'Automatically restart'.
Don't worry - we will try to help get your rig rock solid.
Regards

Yupyup

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2006
Alright well I've been searching around and I remember what it said

MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION

[code:1:c850ce51cf]0x0000009C: MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION
(Click to consult the online MSDN article.)
This is a hardware issue: an unrecoverable hardware error has occurred. The parameters have different meanings depending on what type of CPU you have but, while diagnostic, rarely lead to a clear solution. Most commonly it results from overheating, from failed hardware (RAM, CPU, hardware bus, power supply, etc.), or from pushing hardware beyond its capabilities (e.g., overclocking a CPU).

* Error Message: STOP: 0x0000009C... {KB 329284} Win XP
* Understanding and Troubleshooting the Stop 0x0000009C Screen {KB 162363} Win NT4, Win 2000

0x0000009D:
0x0000009E:
[/code:1:c850ce51cf]

And thats what I found about it.

DD_Jay_AZ

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/reskit/w2000Msgs/1252.mspx?mfr=true

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/162363

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/329284

http://forums.amd.com/lofiversion/index.php/t67446.html

An MCE (0x0000009c) is a rather generic H/W error code, kind of like a 'tilt bit for' DRM. The parameters are the important part and any files it lists.
Generally, my experience; if it's new H/W, the software is to blame. Or a new driver maybe.
Did you do any updates before it started or add anything new? Update drivers?
Have you tried Last Know Good?

Try changing from small 64k dump to complete dump and parse the dmp file with a debugger/bug checker to see what was running and what caused it.

Go here for a debugger: http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/debugging/debugstart.mspx

Or just use my golden rule, "When all else fails, change the PSU."

Enjoy!

Yupyup

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2006
When ever I would try to run memtest, it would get to a blue screen for a split second and restart.

What could that mean?

The_OGS

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
...would get to a blue screen for a split second and restart. What could that mean?
It means you are not bright enough to follow my simple advice. :(
I guess DD_Jay_AZ's advice doesn't stand a chance, LoL...
L8R

DD_Jay_AZ

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
If your running MemTest86+ 1.65 off a bootable CD, it starts up but your system immediately reboots, your definately having a hardware or settings issue.

Go into your motherboard BIOS and set everything to Optimized defaults, try memtest or whatever again.

If it still reboots, try fail-safe defaults then try again.

If you still can't even get memtest to run, unplug the hard drive, sound card, everything you can except for the CD-ROM, CPU, RAM, and your Video device. Try then, if it still fails, you either have a bad motherboard, power supply, or you haven't set your memory up properly.

Check the manufacturers website (You didn't give a part number so I can't link it for you.) for specific voltages and timings. DDR2 is very pissy about voltages and memory timings.

DD_Jay_AZ

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
When ever I would try to run memtest, it would get to a blue screen for a split second and restart.

What could that mean?

Bad memory won't cause memtest to reboot. A Faulty CPU, MoBo, or Power Supply will. Or incorrectly powered/timed memory.

It wouldn't make sense for bad memory to cause an MCE either, a Kernel or Page fault sure.

Have the errors always been 0x0000009c? (Machine Check)

The Gigabyte DS3 965 is generally considered to be a solid Conroe board from what I've read, although I personally will never purchase anything they make, that's just me.

I was more interested in your memory specifications.

Do you know what kind of Amperage is on each rail of the PSU? You might even be doing something as simple as under powering the video card or the 12v rail in general.

For your system I'd recommend about a 350w to 400w PSU that has around 14-17 amps on the 12v rail(s), although your video card will draw less then 40w if memory serves for the 7600GT. I'd be safe and factor a full 4 amp max useage just for the video card on the 12v.

Is your PSU a custom third party one or one that came with the case? (el cheap-o!)

Or better yet, test using the integrated video card to rule out the possibility of yet another faulty nVidia card. (I've seen ALOT)

Without more details or specifications from you though, this is all just stabbing in the dark. Troubleshooting with only partial info is like trying to wipe your butt in the dark, you'll probably get the job done, though it'll probably make a mess.

Trying using Orthos to test the CPU, or even SuperPi.

Orthos: http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/385
SuperPi: http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/126

You might also need a BIOS update to fully support your CPU.

Also, you haven't even told us if your overclocking that E6300.

Good luck!

DD_Jay_AZ

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
And I have updated the bios before, to the F4 bios.

Downloaded Orthos and running it

I'd suggest updating to the F6 BIOS, as it features a microcode update which very well may fix your issue.

With that custom HSF, what kind of thermal readings are you getting? Both load and idle info would help.

Are you overclocking at all yet? It's the 'trendy' thing to do with the E6300. 8)

Let me know how the Orthos/SuperPi turn out.

If Orthos goes for say, 8-12 hours without errors, your can consider it pretty stable, generally. However, that just goes for the CPU to rule it out. Your system obviously isn't stable yet.

Same thing with SuperPi, but from my understanding, SuperPi also touches the memory a bit more. So I wouldn't consider this a pure CPU test as much as I would Orthos.

Your power supply specs look robust enough. (Link)
The dual rails with 15a and 17a should be plenty for the 12v.
I also don't think you'd be running enough HDD's, CD's, Fans, etc, to really tax the 3.3v and 5v too much.

I believe there's a worksheet floating around in there forums somewhere to figure out your power requirements. Generally, you don't want to go over 2/3 of it's max load capacity (410w in this case, 450w PEAK). So as long as your under approx 270 watts total system power requirement, you should be fine. Like I said though, from what you've told and I've seen now, you're probably hitting around 200w or so, depending on a non-overclocked system.

I'd also recommend trying a different outlet that connects to a different circuit. Never rule out environmental causes until you actually find the problem. If you have a UPS or a friend does, or can even get ahold of one, it's a good way to buffer the electrical flow into your system and watch for spikes/undervoltages or just plain old dirty electricity (electrical noise plays havoc like that.)

So what we're looking at:
If Orthos shows good, then CPU is probably ok.
PSU is a quality one, so not initially doubting it now, don't rule out a D.O.A. though.
If MemTest still won't run at all, and all the memory timings, voltages, and dividers are correct, then it's probably going to be the MoBo, which that BIOS update might resolve.

Also, your FSB is 1066, your memory is 667, make sure your using a 2:1 on the memory divider. It might not hurt to manually specifiy all your memory settings as well. Possibly up the voltage to 1.85v or 1.9v, that slight increase shouldn't cause too much extra heat, but should make sure your memory is stable.

Yupyup

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2006
I'll update by bios when I finish orthos

Idle temps @ 31C, and load @57C EDIT: Forgot to add this is with core temp.

Not overclocking

As for the outlets, I've considered it. I'll have to try it after orthos and what not.

And I'll change the memory like you said. Thanks for the help.

DD_Jay_AZ

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
You're running MemTest86+ v1.65, correct?

If your running regular MemTest86 v3.2 it probably won't run on DDR2 and the newer chipsets.

MemTest86+ linkage: http://www.memtest.org/

You can make a bootable CD with it or a floppy, I prefer the CD, it's faster.. but doesn't save any options.