Developers: how to capture images from a webcam

Hi,
I've been thinking of writing a webcam application, for no real reason
other than experimentation(at the moment). However I am unsure as to what
SDK/interface I need to be using under Windows to capture/stream images
from.

Can anyone help me on this?

Mark
2 answers Last reply
More about developers capture images webcam

    "Mark" <mswinson@REMOVETHISBITbtinternet.com> wrote in message news:de5lpk$j8m$1@nwrdmz02.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
    > Hi,
    > I've been thinking of writing a webcam application, for no real reason
    > other than experimentation(at the moment). However I am unsure as to what
    > SDK/interface I need to be using under Windows to capture/stream images
    > from.
    >
    > Can anyone help me on this?

    You could use DirectShow. It's now in Microsoft's Platform SDK.
    A good reference book for DirectShow is Mark Pesce's book
    "Programming Microsoft DirectShow for Digital Video and
    Television". You can probably find it on Amazon.com

    -- Bob Day
    http://bobday.vze.com

    "Mark" <mswinson@REMOVETHISBITbtinternet.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I've been thinking of writing a webcam application, for no real reason
    > other than experimentation(at the moment). However I am unsure as to what
    > SDK/interface I need to be using under Windows to capture/stream images
    > from.
    >
    > Can anyone help me on this?
    >

    > Mark

    The Java Media Framework (JMF) is worth a look:
    http://java.sun.com/products/java-media/jmf/ . It can be used to capture
    still images and video clips. It's fairly easy to use, and I've seen it
    working with Philips and Creative USB webcams.

    I use the JMF to drive my Lundycam website at
    http://www.sgurr.co.uk/lundycam/

    This site has some JMF programming examples:
    http://www.mutong.com/fischer/java/usbcam/

    Regards,

    Simon

Webcams SDK Peripherals