Developers: how to capture images from a webcam

mark

Hi,
I've been thinking of writing a webcam application, for no real reason
other than experimentation(at the moment). However I am unsure as to what
SDK/interface I need to be using under Windows to capture/stream images
from.

Can anyone help me on this?

Mark

"Mark" <mswinson@REMOVETHISBITbtinternet.com> wrote in message news:de5lpk$j8m$1@nwrdmz02.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
> Hi,
> I've been thinking of writing a webcam application, for no real reason
> other than experimentation(at the moment). However I am unsure as to what
> SDK/interface I need to be using under Windows to capture/stream images
> from.
>
> Can anyone help me on this?

You could use DirectShow. It's now in Microsoft's Platform SDK.
A good reference book for DirectShow is Mark Pesce's book
"Programming Microsoft DirectShow for Digital Video and
Television". You can probably find it on Amazon.com

-- Bob Day
http://bobday.vze.com

Simon

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2001

"Mark" <mswinson@REMOVETHISBITbtinternet.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I've been thinking of writing a webcam application, for no real reason
> other than experimentation(at the moment). However I am unsure as to what
> SDK/interface I need to be using under Windows to capture/stream images
> from.
>
> Can anyone help me on this?
>

> Mark

The Java Media Framework (JMF) is worth a look:
http://java.sun.com/products/java-media/jmf/ . It can be used to capture
still images and video clips. It's fairly easy to use, and I've seen it
working with Philips and Creative USB webcams.

I use the JMF to drive my Lundycam website at
http://www.sgurr.co.uk/lundycam/

This site has some JMF programming examples:
http://www.mutong.com/fischer/java/usbcam/

Regards,

Simon