Which sound card is best for me?

nem2k

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
i have decided not to use onboard audio with my new system, which means im going to need a pci sound card

the problem with that is without a breakout box of any kind, im going to have to go around the back of the pc and plug in my headphones everytime i want to use them, which is a pain

so are there any sound cards out there with a breakout box, or a bay panel that allows me to plug in the headphones?

ive seen some x-fi cards which have this but theyre just so expensive, are they my only option?

What you could do is by a cheap sound card, ie a SB live 24 bit, and then buy this little doo-hicky:
creative xmod

It basically acts as a cord extender that you plu headphones and speakers into and it upscales the music quality. You would still have to plug something into the back of your comp, but at least you won't have to remove it every time.

Hope this helps.

nem2k

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
the xmod does look interesting and ill probably go with that option if theres nothing else

and are there any newer solutions than the audigy platinum? i think thats audigy 2? im trying to future proof my new computer so i guess that goes for an up to date sound card as well

doesnt necessarily have to be a creative card as long as it works and has good driver support

nem2k

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
I would skip the xmod and the audigy and go for a xi-fi..mainly the xi-fi xtrememusic...its a excellent card.

sure but that means id have to go to the back of the computer to plug in my mic and headphones everytime i use them which is nothing short of a pain in the backside

nem2k

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
I have a Coolpanel2, it has Sata, usb, firewire, headphone, mic, and flash reader.

yeah but i dont think theres any way to connect something like that up to the x-fi and have functional headphone and mic sockets. sound blasters use different headers dont they?

did anyone see the speedlink medusa option i posted above? what do you think?

GherkinPekul

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2006
The pins are all individual, so you should be able to connect them to any layout-unless Creative has some proprietary nonsense. I'll be honest, I didn't use the audio on my rig, but I will be looking into it more for an audio editing rig for a buddy I'm planning.

nem2k

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
yeah i heard that creative use their own plugs for connecting the card to the front bay panel and that, thats why i figured it would be impossible to wire the card up to say a case headphone socket because the connections are all different

Statross

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2006
god:/

i have an Xfi...if you mean the line in and line out you get on the front of all computers, then:

there are pins on the card for that, DL the documentation for it if you want to be sure, it labels all the pins for you.

it connects to the front bay by an IDE-style 80pin wire, nothing like the aux audio front connectors on your PC case.

buy an X-fi, wont be disapointed, creative arent so stupid as to shut everybody out with an expensive card.
even if you did get a front-bay Xfi...none of the inputs or outputs are for 3.5mm jacks theyre for optical, coaxial, midi, red and white and 1/4" only