netrunner1

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2006
Before I made a new thread I used search to see if anyone else discussed this. :wink:

I realize this hardware that I have was crap even when it was brand new.

System:
Dimension 2350
CPU:Celeron Socket 470 1.99Ghz/400 Mhz FSB cache(?)
RAM 384MB of PC2800 DDR from Kingston
Sound: on board/generic
Video:Intel Extreme(not used,) and ATI Radeon 9250 with 250mhz core, and 256MB DDR. Overclocked 295Mhz out of 405Mhz potential(insufficient cooling.)

My question is this. Task manager reports that an MMORPG client is using 198MB of main RAM. Why is this when I have 256MB RAM on the PCI BUS video card?

I was under the assumption all the Direct3D Stack/Heap/Vertice Data/Polygon Data was stored in the video cards RAM along with textures, and a lot of other 3D specific data that is under the control of DirectX 9!? I could see using shared RAM with a 32, or 64, or even a 128MB card. It's almost as if the cards RAM isn't being used.

netrunner1

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2006
I hate to turn to double posting, but is there any specific reason why this thread isn't getting replys other than the fact it dosen't involve PCI express?

michiganteddybear

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
lemme see if I understand your question right.

Task manager is reporting that a program (dont matter which one) is using 198 meg of ram. Thats the ram the program is using, thats ram the program has requested allocation for from windows. its up to the program to do with it as it will.

All task manager can report is the ram the program has requested allocation for.

netrunner1

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2006
I wanted to know why the game was using so much main RAM when it had 256mb on the card. I think I'm pretty aware of what task manager does by now.

I guess I should of been more constructive with my question writing. I was confused how to ask because most questions here are in the form of consumer query's, and not technical debates, and commentary.

At least 90% of the content in the game is bitmap, and geometry loaded by direct X 9.0c, so I don't understand why it's using that mutch motherboard RAM.

human_error

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2006
Well the game still needs normal ram to run - which mmorpg is it? eve, swg, wow?

The graphics ram usage won't be shown, but i know as a fact that swg (mmorpg) uses 280mb ram while in a quite location doing nothing - it's just what the game needs to store info like inventory etc on the client to reduce latency instead of accessing the server each time you open it (other info will be stored too to save waiting on server responses).