Sign in with
Your question

DSL Modem w/ Wireless Capability

Last response: in Networking
June 26, 2006 7:50:38 PM

I have high speed internet Quest DSL, so I use one of their standard modems with Actiontec wireless gateway. Click here to see modem
My desktop computer is hooked up to a printer and the modem. I have a laptop computer that has a wireless adapter, so I used the modem to give wireless access to the laptop, but I want the laptop computer to have access to the printer. What do I do?
June 26, 2006 8:24:43 PM

I hope the installer secured the wireless side. Most installer do not, they leave the wireless open, no security. I don't know how may I have ran into like this, I lost count.

If you are connected to the wireless router/modem. You need to turn on file and printer sharing on your desktop computer. Then select the printer and make it shareable. On your laptop use add a printer wizzard and follow the instruction for setting up a network on shared printer.

Should be good to go.
June 26, 2006 10:13:03 PM

Oh Sorry but I forgot to tell you that I already have set the printer to share. On my laptop I tried adding the printer from the network but my laptop couldn't find it. In the printer list it said WORKGROUP which isn't even a printer.
June 26, 2006 10:52:51 PM

Is your workgroup the same between both computers? I would change to anything execpt what MS defaults are. And is the computer name assigned and unique to each?

Some router have a setting to keep the wireless and wired sides private. If this is set you will not see each other.

The printer could be listed under a group, but I would expect a machine name.

You are using Home or Pro, on both.
Related resources
!