Possible to use MS/Logitech software with generic mouse?

Ignotus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2006
I have a generic mouse that is solid in the hardware department, but the software sucks. I've tried using a different driver like that of a 6-button Microsoft or Logitech laser mouse, but I get an error amounting to "this driver won't work with this mouse" (the specified location does not contain information about your hardware I think it says). I tried editing the inf file, but I don't know what I'm doing. I got it to go through without the error, but then the mouse stopped working altogether, so I had to revert back to the working driver. As far as I can tell, I can't get the Intellipoint or Setpoint software to work unless the software thinks I have a Microsoft or Logitech mouse. I know someone out there has tried this before and gotten it to work. I've scoured the web for the past couple of hours and come up empty. Any ideas? The mouse is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16826193023

Ignotus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2006
I guess this was the wrong place to come with a question. Your response comes across as condescending. I read "that's what you get for buying something cheap; you should waste your money on a Razer like the rest of us n00b".

My very first sentence says:
I have a generic mouse that is solid in the hardware department, but the software sucks.
Your response:
Not much you can do about it. If the performance of the mouse sucks it's not the drivers it's the mouse itself.

Thanks for the insight! The mouse performs fine; the software sucks. A Logitech laser or Microsoft laser performs the same as this one out of the box without Setpoint or Intellipoint installed. I'm not trying to improve performance, I'm trying to implement Microsoft's Instant Viewer for example, or the magnifier, or the different profiles for different pieces of software. I'm not stuck with the ghetto software it came with, I just have to figure out how to make it work. I'd rather spend $15 on this mouse that tracks as good as a $70 dollar mouse, and then hack the software to make it work. That's half the fun. If I can't make it work, I'm still left with a superior tracking mouse than what I had, I just won't be able to use the bells and whistles of Intellipoint. I'll be out $15 at most; not enough to cause bankruptcy.

misry

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
"that's what you get for buying something cheap; you should waste your money on a Razer like the rest of us n00b".

You ask for advise but interpret that advise your own way.

I just have to figure out how to make it work. I'd rather spend $15 on this mouse that tracks as good as a $70 dollar mouse, and then hack the software to make it work. That's half the fun. If I can't make it work, I'm still left with a superior tracking mouse than what I had, I just won't be able to use the bells and whistles of Intellipoint. I'll be out $15 at most; not enough to cause bankruptcy.

And therein lies the rub. When you come here asking for someone to hold your hand through the process *you* aren't *hacking* anything. What, you expect hacks to work the first time around? nO0b.

BTW: I have a Logitec trackball and I don't use the Logitec warez because mine are better for my needs. (See, *I* can change fonts too if I want.)