Will increasing the multiplier require more voltage?

ThatGuy5256

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2006
Im trying to overclock my 4800 and I have reached the max Vcore voltage on my board but I am not at the top multiplier, Does the proc need more voltage when you increase the fsb or just the frequency overall?

muffin

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2005
I believe the multiplier on your chip is upwards locked, though I've been out of the loop for awhile. I think only the FX series is unlocked. I've never been a really hardcore "get every last MHz out of your machine" kind of overclocker, but in my experience every chip has a limit and how you reach that speed limit, whether by FSB or multiplier change, you get pretty close to the same overall speed. It would be nice if there was a pencil trick for the Athlon 64 like there was for the XP's to unlock the multiplier. My 2Ghz Opty does 2.6GHz daily with no voltage increase at all, but 2.8 GHz requires more voltage and therefore cooling. I just push the FSB up, turn down the multiplier on the northbridge so it remains near 1GHz, and lower the divider on the memory to keep it close to spec so the timings on the memory can still be kept tight.

ThatGuy5256

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2006
Multipliers are only locked at a certain point, If it it is locked at 12 then I can have any multiplier as long as it is a inter = to or < 12.

muffin

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2005
yes. upwards locked. What speed have you gotten it to so far? My fairly old opteron 170 seems to hit a wall above 2.8 GHz, but I'm on air cooling and not into going over 1.4 V for a negligible speed increase. I figure I'll spend the extra nanoseconds encoding a video or whatever playing guitar. I'm positive that my computer spends more time waiting for me than me for it, so I won't torture it for a fraction of a pecentage point in performance. I did just feed it a new video card though, which perked it up all over again.

GlacierFreeze

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2006
Im trying to overclock my 4800 and I have reached the max Vcore voltage on my board but I am not at the top multiplier, Does the proc need more voltage when you increase the fsb or just the frequency overall?

Overall frequency (raising multiplier or fsb or both).